Active Topics

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Snowierasha
Disabling watchdog.

If you have a white screen saying "Booting mer from..." and the device reboots, DO NOT DISABLE the watchdog.
This screen says it cannot boot from the memory card.
If you disable the watchdog, you would have no way to reboot the device except for taking out the battery.

The problem is somewhere else. Still got to know where exactly, though

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by KPAH View Post
Disabling watchdog.

If you have a white screen saying "Booting mer from..." and the device reboots, DO NOT DISABLE the watchdog.
This screen says it cannot boot from the memory card.
If you disable the watchdog, you would have no way to reboot the device except for taking out the battery.

The problem is somewhere else. Still got to know where exactly, though
It was already posted...
Copy the modules from /lib/modules/current to the respective directory in Mer

Nope, they are only needed for custom kernel builds. For me it was a completely different thing.

To create the bootmenu mer.item file, I used Far Manager with WinSCP plugin.
I noticed strange music note-like symbols in the "Booting from..." line.

I deleted the file, sshed into the device using putty, run vi (the ugliest editor I've ever seen - why command mode, why not use ctrl-command combinations which are industry standart?)
and copy-pasted the insides for the file into the putty session, and saved the file as mer.item in VI.

And it finally started!! Probably a codepage issue. I assume the same results could be achived by gui versions of text editors inside Ubuntu or whatever.

Anyway, Mer started. Finally.
Now I'm stuck and the "Please be sure your username..." stage. It keeps prompting for a username regardless of what I type.

UPD: got it... used "a" for full name and "b" for username... You've got to have no cursor blinking in the enter area or something like that. Anyway, after giving a name to the device (name-tablet), it's just black screen and nothing more. If you have the virtual keyboard onscreen, it hangs...on reboot, setup is all over again

Last edited by KPAH; 2010-04-14 at 13:12.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Kolkata, India
is it possible to use one of the kernels that are there in the overclocking section to use to boot mer...since they optimised for the device...??

Hey, Just installed mer (kinda) from the instructions for mer 0.9 on the maemo website. when i got to the line,

mkswap /dev/mmcblk0p2

It said "Can't open '/dev/mmcblk0p2': No such file or directory".
So i skipped it and went ahead with the install. Finally finished it but when i boot it it is reallllllllllllllllllllly slow. So i went ahead and tried to run that line and see if it helped. But it gave me the same error. I'm trying to dual boot it on a Nokia 770 with OS2008HE and mer is installed on mmcblk0p1 (the MMC card). The card is a 2gb card. Please Help!

73s DE KJ4RGS

Last edited by kj4rgs770; 2010-05-04 at 17:09.

Originally Posted by kj4rgs770 View Post

It said "Can't open '/dev/mmcblk0p2': No such file or directory".

73s DE KJ4RGS
not mounted?

Sorry, but Im unable to set the DRIVE bootable - installed gparted and all Im able to do is to set the PARTITION bootable, not the drive. Sorry for lame question, but how to do that? Im used to use cfdisk but there I didnt find a way either ...

Originally Posted by meep View Post
If you want to check the bootflag, open up the partition in gparted (usually sdc1 if you only have the n900 connected) and check under "flags". If it is blank, you do not have to do anything.

If it says "boot" under this, right click, use "manage flags" and remove the boot flag
So, when no partition is bootable = the whole drive is bootable?

Originally Posted by scottprotege View Post
Hey guys i finished this the other night, like i said its slow because the 3d accel support has not been released yet, only one mer master has it on his n900 at the moment.

Edit * The absolute easiest way to move this mer.item and the firmware files to and from your n900 would be to use a ssh enabled ftp program with ssh enabled on your N900. If that doesn't make sense, use the steps below*

Steps below

They are very easy actually. I did it earlier, here is how

Step 1 - Install bootmenu on your phone

Open up the browser on your N900 and type this into the address bar http://bit.ly/N900bootmenu It will ask if you want to download or use app manager to open, just select app manager. The app will successfully install and then you need to go to your list of icons and select the one that says install bootmenu. A white screen pops up saying it has gained root access and then will ask you if you want to install, yadda yadda, it exits. You then need to open a text editor on your computer and paste this text into a new file::

ITEM_NAME="Mer (external SD, partition 1)"
ITEM_ID="mer"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p1"
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="noatime,ro"

save the file as mer.item. Find a way to get this file onto your phone. Best way would probably be to use another sd card. After you have this file on your N900 you want to copy it to /etc/bootmenu.d folder. This can be done many ways but easiest would be xterm. Open up xterm on your phone and change your current directory to the one that has your mer.item file in it. Most likely it would be your sd card. The steps for copying it from sd would be...
Open xterm:

type "cd /media/mmc1", hit enter
then type "ls", hit enter

you should now see a list of all files on the root of your sd card, one of which should say mer.item

type "sudo cp mer.item /etc/bootmenu.d", hit return

You have now successfully completed the bootmenu install

Now before we go and format the sd card, we need to get the firmware files from the N900

In Xterm Type "cd /lib/firmware", hit enter

Type "cp * /media/mmc1", hit enter

You have now copied the files to your sd card. Now move them onto your linux computer and off of the card so we can format and install mer on it

Step 2 - format sd card

Easiest way to do this formatting thing is to use gparted. If you do not have gparted installed in your ubuntu (you did say you have ubuntu on your comp right?) then you can open xterm on the computer and type "apt-get install gparted", hit return.

After a few moments you will have gparted installed and you should be able to go to system > administration in the upper left of your screen and open gparted. up at the top and towards the right you should see a selector for your disk, pick the sd card (should say something like /dev/sdb). Up at the top select partition then go down to unmount. Go back to partition again and select format to > ext3. Click the green checkmark to apply the changes to your card. Your drive is now formatted in ext3

Step 3 - Mount and copy files

Open xterm on your computer and type "umount /dev/sdb1", hit enter

Type "sudo mkdir -p /mnt/mer", hit enter

Now type "sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/mer", hit enter

Now type "cd /mnt/mer", hit enter

Your current working directory is now /mnt/mer, and your sd card is mounted to that location. Now you need to untar the file you downloaded to the sd card.

In same terminal window from before type "sudo tar --numeric-owner -pzxf /home/user/Desktop/mer-armel-n900-rootfs-v0.17testing10.tar.gz", hit enter. I did read somewhere that you said you saved it to your desktop. Replace the word user with your linux user name (shows in upper right hand corner). This step should take a while...do not do anything to your xterm window until it returns an input line. And be sure to type everything exactly as i typed it in the quotes, including uppercase if present.

Once your xterm returns an input line it has finished installing mer. Last step is to take those firmware files from the N900 and copy paste them into the folder "/mnt/mer/lib/firmware" on your computer using the file explorer window. To do this just open up the file explorer and navigate to /mnt/mer/lib/firmware and drag and drop the .bin files from your N900's /lib/firmware folder...voila.

Type "umount /mnt/mer"

Waaait for it.

Remove the memory card when xterm is done.Turn off your N900, put the memory card in.

Turn it back on with the keyboard slid open

Select the mer line and wait
hello dude im sorry for disturbance . plz help me. i dont hav computer here and i want to dual boot ubuntu. plzzz help me. can i do it on nokia n900??? plz giv me some solution.