Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
...this community has attracted probably every linux developer on the planet now...
No, the percentage of open source developers working directly on Maemo/MeeGo is quite small.

...people are doing it without even bothering getting copywright...
The term "copyright", and in the United States and many other nations, code is copyrighted as soon as it is written. Formal copyright registration with a copyright office is then a separate, optional step.

why have we got many many pissed off people when there getting everything for free here?
Everything is amazing, and everybody is unhappy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
No, the percentage of open source developers working directly on Maemo/MeeGo is quite small.

The term "copyright", and in the United States and many other nations, code is copyrighted as soon as it is written. Formal copyright registration with a copyright office is then a separate, optional step.

Everything is amazing, and everybody is unhappy.
I am talking about all the apps , games etc that people are contributing on this community all for free because copyright dont come into it, so WHY have we got so many people unhappy when actually they ARE getting a LOT of stuff on here for free ?

I am talking about all the apps , games etc that people are contributing on this community all for free because copyright dont come into it
Copyright does come into it, just not like you would expect.

so WHY have we got so many people unhappy when actually they ARE getting a LOT of stuff on here for free ?
Because why I am likely differs greatly from why they are here, and a lot of it is probably related to the topic at hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Probably 2 things are getting peoples back up , firstly no one knows when a much needed update is coming (for what reason is Nokia quiet on this)
and the second one i know for sure IS a major concern is the usb port and if you read the relevant threads you will see just how Nokia are treating people regarding this.
Now i have a good solution but its pointless me posting the remedy for the usb port as you all know if you take apart Nokia mobiles bang goes your warranty.
I dont mind at all doing my own "repairs" as i dont have any intention whatsiever of sending my N900 in for repair at any stage and if it goes bang then so be it thats my choice.
Now my posts might well sound derogitive of Nokia but hey i think i have reason enough !.

I am talking about all the apps , games etc that people are contributing on this community all for free because copyright dont come into it...
For the majority of Maemo applications, the ones that are released under the GPL, copyright comes into it because copyright is the basis of the GPL. For other, non-GPL applications, well, copyright is the basis of protection for those also.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Copyright does come into it, just not like you would expect.

Because why I am likely differs greatly from why they are here, and a lot of it is probably related to the topic at hand.
You missing the point here totally, Nokia can very easy pick up on code written by members of the community and use it for free as the writer dont have copyright, whats Nokia doing for us?.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
For the majority of Maemo applications, the ones that are released under the GPL, copyright comes into it because copyright is the basis of the GPL. For other, non-GPL applications, well, copyright is the basis of protection for those also.
And who does the copyright belong too in this case?.

You missing the point here totally, Nokia can very easy pick up on code written by members of the community and use it for free as the writer dont have copyright, whats Nokia doing for us?.
This is false. They can use it, but the author DOES have a copyright.

It belongs to the author of the software.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
You missing the point here totally, Nokia can very easy pick up on code written by members of the community and use it for free as the writer dont have copyright...
Except that the writer does have copyright.

...whats Nokia doing for us?
Providing an excellent handheld Linux distribution. Working upstream in the projects used to build that distribution so the entire open source community benefits. Providing massive monetary support to the Linux Foundation. Sponsoring summits and other events for the community. Providing hardware to independent developers. Flying independent developers to events and development meetings with developers in the Maemo division at Nokia.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-04-26 at 02:13.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Copyright belongs to the original writer unless copyright is deliberately reassigned by that writer to, say, the Free Software Foundation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: