Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
so i will back out now and let ALL you know it alls argue with eachother because quite frankly sometimes this forum absolutely STINKS !!!.
Quite frankly I don't see others arguing that much apart from when you start posting.

Perhaps you might point me to any apps you have developed so we can see how you do it?

or perhaps you might point to any apps you have helped fund their development?

Which apps have you tested and fed this "bricking" back to the developer to help contribute to the open development process?

Coming onto a forum spouting rubbish without any specific examples or providing useful content and then blaming everyone else for your limited usefulness is the very definition of a troll.

rgds

ps. don't bother ranting back at this, not re-posting here nah nah ne nah nah!

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Comments like this are what make any thread turn into arguments and as i was only asking if it was possible to have an un-install system made possible for the n900 to stop the amount of help needed for people looping and bricking their devices it is now starting to get out of hand as per usual on this forum !!! so i will back out now and let ALL you know it alls argue with eachother because quite frankly sometimes this forum absolutely STINKS !!!.
The problem was that you came with accusations and wrongly assumptions how to solve a problem that do not exist. And then you continue to make the same mistake throughout the thread. Instead of argue about this you should have admitted that you where wrong.

edit: By a no existing problem i do not mean that people will not fck up their devices. Because that they will.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-05-16 at 10:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
These are my thoughts and i would love to read other people's thoughts regarding this.
C'mon man, be a sport...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
abill_uk, it's simple - you got a choice of staying safe with less apps or go bleeding edge with exras-devel.
You get a warning about danger, if you don't take it too serious - it's your own problem. There is to many people in this world to hold their hand for them.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
does anyone have the numbers for extras-devel downloads? vs bricked n900's as a result of devel downloads? and i mean permanently bricked, not having a day off til it gets reflashed.
i'm sure these figures would speak for themselves, there are plenty of warnings. if you're the kind of person who ignores every warning without understanding it then having to reflash might just be the kick up the *** you need to pay more attention. and thankfully unlike many other phones the n900 is pretty good at coming back from the dead!

don't try and hinder peoples love of exploration just because some of the sillier ones get lost occasionally, they'll be guided home if they drop us a line, albeit with a little impatience now and again...

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

hehe i find this thread really amusing

spend a lot of dollars on a phone -a weeks wages some would say and the software is up to sh,t -the fact is the whole concept of phone /computer is ....up to sh.t......toys for boys

I think abill_uk has a point. People here insist that "apt-get --purge remove" solves all probelms, but does it really?

I'm no expert in building dpkg packages, but as creating them can involve some manual work there exists the possibility of errors. Or are the .debs in Maemo repos systematically smoke tested as for installing/uninstalling cleanly? (I think not, as I recall installing some broken packages myself).

It's not that I'd be complaining (no place for that when people are using their free time to provide the stuff, quite the opposite), I just think the notion "as long as apt is used nothing can go wrong", which seems to be the idea behind replies abill_uk is getting, is false.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
It's like every technological device now a days. You have to take risks if you know the software isn't 100% reliable. You may want to learn how to use the device properly and know what you're installing before you just attempt to become the next super-IT with no knowledge whatsoever.

So don't feel pity for those who are too ignorant & rêtarded to realise what they have in their hands.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
How about backing up your system before installing any risky packages, so you're less reliant on the package's maintenance/uninstall scripts?
I mean, these are primarily caused by packages from test/devel repos; so it shouldn't come as a surprise in the first place.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
The software hosted in extras-devel is not ready for normal users!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't play with it unless you really know what you are doing. Be ready to file proper bug reports instead of posting complaints.

Expected problems: crashes, battery drain, poor system performance, full disk space & more - SERIOUSLY!
Don't play with Extras-devel if you haven't backed up your data or aren't prepared to re-flash your device.
IMHO, the warning says it all, part in red summarizes this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
op is a bug, uninstall op