Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
What you guys are seeing is clustering, a common and unfortunately sometimes hard to detect phenomenon. If you saw my little spiel on QA sampling then you saw how this can occur. Clusters can be detected IF the defects occur in large enough numbers to be caught by typical sampling plans; they are difficult if not impossible to detect when they occur in small numbers... ergo the situation we're discussing.
Sorry for double posting, but this sounds really interesting. Have you been able to find any links between problem units and a production batch ? Maybe a range of serial numbers will help any user know what to expect.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by cucurigu View Post
Sorry for double posting, but this sounds really interesting. Have you been able to find any links between problem units and a production batch ? Maybe a range of serial numbers will help any user know what to expect.
Problem is, whatever data I had along those lines I could not provide, sorry. I'm pushing the boundaries as it is.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
This is my personal Opinion.
So I make only Nokia responsible for it.

I see many posts at ITT about WSOD, Touch Screen Pressure dead zone issues and various other problems culminating eventually in the aspect Nokia not supporting the Nokia 770 anymore.

Therefore out of my meagre thoughts, let me suggest that all of us who have had multiple WSOD or other such major Hardware issues on Nokia IT's, find the Mailing address of Mr Ari Jaaksi or some other such big shots within Nokia and ship the broken ITs to them. Let them know and feel the frustration that is experienced by normal Users when Nokia takes decisions that show their blatant disregard for the end User's needs.

I think if this is done, such people as mentioned above would be flooded with so many ( if not too many ) ITs that they maybe forced to take notice of the issues and understand the implication of their idiotic decisions.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-04-09 at 12:30.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
After trying out the hacker edition of OS2007 on my 770. I think its sad to see a machine that still has a lot of potential to be abandoned. Wish they would at least give us an OS2006b or something

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm rambled a bit about it before, but the only hope for the 770 and n800 are to move away from maemo. For most intents and purposes it's closed source. It's a perfect example of why the Linux community at large are up in arms against binaries. At this point in the game it looks like everyone who toiled to bring great apps to these devices were chumps for the corporate need to have a robust application base as a prime selling point.

If I had even an inkling of the knowledge required to get ArmedSlack to boot, I'd be knee deep in it. But I don't. The only way to set these tablets free is to head for a complete OSS solution. The sheer amount of reverse engineering needed is staggering, so no, I don't say these words lightly.

For those with both 770s and n800s, has app development died down? Personally, if I spent months working on a project on the 770 and had things get changed around to the point where I had to fork out a separate version (not to mention buy an expensive new hardware platform), I'd shut down shop. Where will the n800 be in a few months?

Justification labelling 770 owners as 'beta' testers is completely unacceptable. I'm not a corporate schill. There's a reason I've got 15 square inches of deskspace unoccupied by an n800 right now. Nokia botched it. As Gnuite said, there was nothing warranting an upgrade, aside from the incompatibilities between the two and lack of support. I call that extortion. There are no traces of Stockholm syndrome here. I recognize where I fit in the customer/supplier relationship and recognize which direction the cashflow goes... and right now, it's not going anywhere.

HEDGE.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2007-04-09 at 15:12.

There's a catch-22 here.

If enough bad press builds up and impacts N800 sales, it could very well encourage Nokia to kill the platform (for a while anyway). The N-gage device is a perfect example.

It's therefore in Nokia's best interest to address the negative publicity head-on instead of ducking it or responding with vague statements or excuses.

By the same token, it's in the best interest of advocates to temper their complaints with objectivity, so that we don't get into a self-defeating cycle of bashing for the sake of bashiong (not saying that anyone in this thread is doing that, but it's a natural escalation).

I'd be extremely happy if this impasse was addressed really soon.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And here's another catch-22. Nokia is a business and is accountable only to it's shareholders. We already bought the hardware, there's no service plan accompanying it, they owe us nothing. Those that have an n800 sitting next to their 770 did them a lot of good, but even now they're making nothing off of them. They probably saved quite a bit in development and support costs by having the community do the dirty work in creating applications making it a more attractive platform to purchase.

I haven't used my Nokia 770 in about 2 weeks, so I hope this isn't construed as mindless *****ing. I've given it a lot of thought and came to a conclusion I'd rather not have arrived at. (I hope nobody takes it to heart, I still wear buttons on my jacket (the one with the band logo painted on the back) and band/political patches on my pants.) You should expect corporate bashing from me... except in this case I feel it's warranted.

Set the 770 free, you've no more money to make off of it.

Yeah, at some point it becomes cheaper to orphan a product than continue it...

Perhaps not. The elements that never translate well into boardroom graphs are the intangibles. I've got extra money kicking around now and I just might have done an on-a-whim upgrade to the n800; if I felt that it'd be around in a year. I've already lost 4 months on it since it was released, providing it lasts as long as the 770, there isn't much time left. Besides, there are still many problems with it. I think the 3rd gen may be the way to go, but unless they shape up on how they're dealing with their 'legacy' (in quotes 'cause c'mon... this thing is just coming up on 2 yrs.) products then I'm not prone to spend $500 on something new unless I know software support will continue.

Another intangible is word of mouth advertising. I'm going to have to answer honestly when people ask about support...

The ironic thing is looking back on all the cell phone comparisons. I've got another one. The Nokia phone my friend bought 5 yrs ago still works just fine. Maybe it *should* be more like a cell phone. :P

I purchased the 770 in November, 2006 after considering it for 2 to 3 months. At this point, there was no N800 announced by Nokia. I paid full price, thinking I was getting a quality item supported by a reputable company (not a fly-by-night knock off). I spent a lot of time working with it and getting many of the fine user developed apps working, i.e. Mapper, mplayer, etc. I even considered developing for it myself. I bought a bluetooth GPS, convinced others to buy the 770, and defended the unit to PDA proponents and other WIFI device users. When the N800 came out I almost bought one, before I started reading this thread.

Nokia's web site had led me to believe that I had purchased an item which they intended t o continue to sell and support. They even issued a late 2006 OS update prior to saying they were obsoleting the 770. I will now not be purchasing the N800, since it is obvious that Nokia has little commitment to their customer base of 770's and has misled me. Nokia cell phones, bluetooth, and other electronics will be avoided as well. There is an old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!". I am not unhappy with the 770, but realize that it is destined to be a $350 Mahjong game unit. Even Nintendo stands behind their DS units longer than Nokia seems to support the 770. (at 1/3 the price, with WIFI, and an available Opera browser)