Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Meh, just get a bluetooth capable dumbphone and a matching pocket sized PMP (or maybe a mifi and a PMP, if your carrier is anal about tethering).
Indeed, a usable solution today. Still, it's somewhat less convenient than having the radio in the device (eg. an extra device to charge and carry), also potentially more expensive in the short run (depending on the device purchased -- of course). But it indeed works!

For example, I don't own a 3G device. I've considered getting a MiFi (or the Canadian equivalent) and an Archos 70, but the cost ends up being similar to the Galaxy Tab ($550) for lesser hardware and less convenience than an all-in-one pick up and go tablet.

The benefit of this setup is that you can use the MiFi for more than just the tablet device (ie. a laptop) which is quite compelling. Of course, you can do this with a 3G device as well, and even use USB tethering to improve battery life.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Main thing about a removable radio is that one also need a antenna that has the right size and such for the frequencies involved.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Main thing about a removable radio is that one also need a antenna that has the right size and such for the frequencies involved.
Very interesting point. I wonder if it's possible to have an antenna with transistors along it that effectively control its length.

Perhaps some type of fractal antenna may provide a cross section for different frequency radios. Finding such a pattern would be very interesting.

I wonder why fractal antennas are not more common in mobile devices.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Take your own advice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrCrs2HsPjU
Your credibility is in serious question.
OMG Thank you a billion. As soon as psx4droid was released I gave MGS a go and it didn't work. Several people also stated the same thing (*sigh) and then somewhere zodtt himself said it isn't supported but that he will try to get it working later on.
I've got v1.61 and its still not working.

Maybe its my BIOS or I just need a different ROM (jp version or better quality eng).

Seriously?! This is pure opinion.. Do you think you hold a monopoly on the 'truth'?
Yepp! Haha.
But of course its pure opinion, I mean some people think the iPhone 3GS is better than the iPhone4 and that may be correct from their perspective.
I thought the EPIC 4G was the best because it had the LED flash, ffcam and a QWERTY. The Captivate has the best design and the Next-G radio frequency. International model has the ffcam and easy to play around with. Vibrant has a huge community. Fascinate and the others not so much (CDMA bwelh!) and the Galaxy Tab I don't like because its 7 inches (like all guys, the bigger the better

What?!
The screen of the iPhone 4 is gorilla-glass (like) but it is glass and has a smooth coating. Most android devices inc SGS don't have this so you have a little more friction when you slide your finger (it is not a hinderance, but when you try the Apple your finger glides with ease ... just wishing my Samsung could get that build quality!

For those have SGS here, what app/ROM do(could) you use to allow:

Answering phone(via the speaker)WHILE viewing notes or web at the same time on the SGS?

I do not think SGS/Android can do 'unlimited' multi-tasking like the N900, I am looking for some limited hack.

Cheers,

Funny thing I was looking for the same thing but came empty handed.

Anyone know how, you can fill us in.
I guess you just have to answer the phone, hit the speaker function, hit Home ... hit the apps you just closed and hope you can start from the same spot*

*Eg: when in "Internet" App, hitting home and re-opening it gets you to the same place but even though it is completely unnecessary the app automatically refreshes the page (which is annoying because it always takes a while to render, especially in low coverage areas).
Other examples, some apps just start from the beginning ... which is really frustrating if you hadn't saved/was at a critical moment.

(android has some things better than the N900, but you just cant help love the things the N900 does great)