Poll: Will keep it until . . .
Poll Options
Will keep it until . . .

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by laasonen View Post
I have used the N950 for almost a year now and I have to say that N900 is better in many ways. Anyhow I'm planning to use my N950 for as long as it works and buy a N900 after that, if anyone hasn't released a real successor by then.
wow, really?!
I always thought the N950 was a N900 ""killer"" but I haven't used it.
So, your opinion (you have one) is the one that matters.

I am happy that the N900 is still the best mobile computer out there , yet sad at the same time.

ps: Your countryman, Ahtisaari should be the proper Nokia boss.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
I got my wife to love the N900. We each have one. And yes, I already committed to keeping this even if a worthy successor takes its place.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Hmm Since Maemo/Meego is dead, I guess the N900 is dead as well. I keep mine, but I never use it anymore.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I just wonder why wouldn't someone keep it around. It's a decent mobile computer and open enough to try experimental hacky things with it. Pretty much the same goes for the other maemo devices as well.

http://twitter.com/#!/timorph/status/174165722195431424

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I'll keep my 2 at least until the repos close, but probably until they die. (one is already half dead). I might buy another phone in the case that the N900 Skype support dies as I need that to work.

I do a lot of network troubleshooting and N900 is perfect for this and will be for a long time.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Oldenzaal, The Netherlands
im using my third n900 at this moment, there is just no real replacement out there

The Following User Says Thank You to peterbjornx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
only a N900 successor can beat the N900. untill then "N900 for eternity"
ALL HAIL THE KING

Well I am selling mine and moving to webos Pre 2 or 3. The usb finally started to play up and it is too much hassle to charge battery with external charger. Any takers? Probably need some soldering.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
I just got mine replaced yesterday. Nokia care gave me a new one except for the battery. And i am sure it will stand for another 2 years.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
It's hard to imagine what could replace the N900, especially after the upgrade to KP50 - combined with CSSU (Testing).
Seriously, I've been running on KP50 for 9 days and I'm blown away by the difference. I highly recommend it!

Now, the only things that I don't like are:
1. Screen is too small (my eyes can't focus on pixels that small any longer, the N800 screen was the perfect pixel-density for me). The current fad with all the companies trying to Keep Up with the Joneses (Apple) is silly. A perfect example is the people who think the iPad3's screen is awesome, but think my 21" tube monitor at work which runs the exact same resolution is way too difficult to read!
2. The proximity sensor is infuriating here in South Florida. It's nothing more than an IR LED paired with an IR sensor (a phototransistor or photodiode), so it picks up sunlight (even on a train with dark windows) and thinks it's at your face or pocket. The only workaround is to open the keyboard - more than a little annoying when you're trying to answer the phone.
3. The keyboard is too flat. I'm slowly getting used to it after these years, but it doesn't hold a candle to a SideKick2's keyboard. (sorry )
4. The radio doesn't have 3G(+) frequencies on AT&T's US network (the only alternative to T-Mobile). I despise T-Mobile and I get almost no reception at all when I visit family in Michigan... AT&T is everywhere up there. They also have so many dead towers down here that I can't hold a conversation while riding the train to work.

But, things that would be required to drag me away from this wonderful piece of equipment:
1. Open platform that's easy to access and tweak. The fact that this thing runs a real Linux distribution, complete with X and all programming and scripting languages (especially Python!) available is flat out phenomenal to me. I love the fact that I can use it as I use my desktop computer. The only thing that comes close is WebOS, and we've all seen how well that went over... so I'm not holding my breath (though I am keeping my fingers crossed for Meego/Mer/Nemo/etc.).
2. GOOD keyboard. Something with depth as well as a realistic number of rows.
3. SDHC/SDXC card slot. 2 would be better... I still love that about my N800!
4. Bigger screen with less pixel-density. Give me the pixel-density of the N800 (not N900) in at least a 4.3" screen, and I'm thrilled.
5. Bluetooth + NFC.
6. IR and FM transmitters (I know, not likely). The fact that it has an FM transmitter completely blew the minds of several coworkers when we were on our way to lunch and I wanted to play a tune for them while riding in the back seat of my coworker's car. It's not about showing off though, it's about the amazing convenience and versatility it provides.
7. A stylus. Seriously... I find capacitive touchscreens to be handy for very casual use, but nothing more. They're painful if you need any accuracy whatsoever, and impossible if you need precision. Just try and play something like Numpty-Physics with your finger!
8. Good optics for the camera! I love the optics in this thing! The only improvement could be the control of them.
9. Brilliant communications integration. The way this thing uses one interface for all IM protocols is almost as great as the way it integrates VoIP into the phone-app!
10. Decent battery life.
11. An amazing community who not only provide intelligent support, but actual hardcore coders making massive improvements to the device. Of course the latter couldn't be possible without #1, above.

I could go on and on, but I'm extremely tired and have to get up for work early... so I guess my answer is:

It would take something on-par with an Adamantium Unicorn to make me want to switch to another device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to glabifrons For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, trailing edge