Notices

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick message...
bnf: SoC: 54%
Calibration needed: 0
Hildon: Battery low
These contradictions are tiresome...
Best wishes.

Out of curiosity, which one was "right"? What was battery voltage at the moment?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Out of curiosity, which one was "right"? What was battery voltage at the moment?
I can say that there were many instances of the battery indicator recovering from red "battery low" to green "half-charged" without any actual charging involved. Therefore, I expect that a misinterpretation of battery characteristics is taking place.
What do "IMIN: 1" and "VDQ: 1" mean? And is it possible for a BL-5J battery to have "Charge: 1529 mAh"? With USB cable charging, it reports "Voltage: 4166 mV", "Current: 12 mA".
Thank you. Best wishes.

IMIN:1 means, that it have reached last stage of charging/charging is practically finished (current accepted by battery is less than 100 mA, might be as well device power usage). VDQ:1 means "valid discharge quality", i.e. since last full charge (even if it just ended), discharge wasn't interrupted to the point of spoiling discharge measurement, so upon reaching edv1, new battery calibration data might get saved.

All those things are explained in calibration post, linked in my signature

As for 1500 mAh - depending on your usage pattern, relative capacity might be around 1500 mAh, but it is unlikely to seen for any variant of genuine Nokia's BL-5J. OTOH, for Scud's or Polarcells, relative capacity of 1700 mAh isn't anything surprising.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Thank you. I am still using the original BL-5J which came together with Nokia N900 three years ago. If battery problems become too persistent, I will probably buy Polarcell. I am using wires too frequently to be concerned about battery charge, at this moment; six hours is the longest time it would have to survive without charging.
Best wishes.

Quick question...
What can "SoC: 0%" mean? Charge is 0mAh, too. Voltage and Current are fine: "3819mV" and "4mA" (or "6mA", or "42mA") respectively.
It started happening after the micro-USB port was broken. It might be related to the fact that after the original battery was completely discharged, all the charging is taking place externally, in the charging cradle, and the operating system is shut-down for the duration of battery exchange (two batteries: original-Nokia and PolarCell).
Thank you.
Best wishes.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
It might be related to the fact that after the original battery was completely discharged, all the charging is taking place externally,
Yes that will be the issue.
It can't calculate without charging the battery in the device.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
@estel

Quick question. Bnf shows 98% but the phone shows 75% 5 seconds after it was 97%. And my standard battery is 1699mah?

+ VDQ is 1.

Why do they show different values? It needs to be calibrated?
#1 Nokia N900 Feb- 2011 - June - 2013 (Dead motherboard)
#2 Nokia N900 July-2013 (CSSU Stable) - Present
#3 Nokia N900 April-2014 (CSSU Thumb) - Present

VDQ 1 means that it's a "valid" discharge cycle, that could be used to calibrate battery, if you discharge all way down to < than 3248 mV and stay there for at least 15 seconds, without your device shutting down (which, with standard battery, means that you need to either use replacement bme, or [usually] stop BME when getting close to treeshold, or your device may shutdown prematurely). That is, if you don't "invalidate" current discharging cycle, by resetting device or connecting and disconnecting charger (few times in a row, or for too long - short, accidental charging doesn't seem to reset VDQ to 0).

As for 1699 mAh capacity, it is possible that you got such relative one with very low discharge current (i.e. device unised/used rarely during discharge cycle when it got calibrated) and very good battery (polarcell/scud or new Nokia's 1400 mAh Q10 original BL-5J).

Otherwise - and more likely - you just got uncalibrated lately, which means that chip reset to 2048 mAh, and goes down from there with everyy calibration cycle. It means, that you need one or two (depending on real capacity of your battery) more calibrations, 'till chip starts to show correct values.

The above may be - also - a reason why BME goes crazy and shows 75% just after 97%. BNF shows exactly what charging chip "thinks", so you will get more realistic readings from there (although, if chip is, indeed, still uncalibrated, it will "lie" too - you will get something like 20% left, before going straight to 0, upon device reaching shutdown state).

Hope it helps,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

@Estel

A follow up question. My battery widget is at 0% but bnf is 63%. Voltage is above 3425 and VDQ remains at one. I think maybe something is wrong with bme? that it is causing this issue? Could bnf have modified it?

RE (Charging) : I charge it at random times, i don't necessary wait till it is low.I like to keep it topped up.

( i am using nokia's bme)
#1 Nokia N900 Feb- 2011 - June - 2013 (Dead motherboard)
#2 Nokia N900 July-2013 (CSSU Stable) - Present
#3 Nokia N900 April-2014 (CSSU Thumb) - Present

Last edited by Ast007; 2014-03-19 at 21:00.

Tags
battery, bnf script, bq27200, bq27x00, charging