Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Milwaukee, IL, USA
the problem comes at the end when you use init_flash... most of us, when presented with a "yes/no" question in linux are so used to typing "y" as a response...and it is ACTUALLY necessary to type "yes" not just a y... after that, I got my boot menu and everything! Now I am good to go, I think...

NOTE:
I just checked my memory details and (if my memory serves me correctly, I am supposed to have roughly 500mb of overall space, but) I am listing 33.8mb used and 139.7mb free... that doesn't seem right...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by AdonusX View Post
the problem comes at the end when you use init_flash... most of us, when presented with a "yes/no" question in linux are so used to typing "y" as a response...and it is ACTUALLY necessary to type "yes" not just a y... after that, I got my boot menu and everything! Now I am good to go, I think...

NOTE:
I just checked my memory details and (if my memory serves me correctly, I am supposed to have roughly 500mb of overall space, but) I am listing 33.8mb used and 139.7mb free... that doesn't seem right...
Typing on the tablet is not the most enjoyable things to do. It happened to me that I want to type yes, but turns out to be yyes and the prog kicked me out, started from beginning, again. Whenever I do flash, I type as if I am typing on an about to burst bubble.
The memory is about right, OS + some apps about 280 MB + 140 + 34 = 454 MB which is what .45 G is about.

bun

Howdy all,

Thanks to these great instructions, I cloned OS2007 to my internal 8GB SD card w/o problems. I did deviate a bit and formatted the card to one ext3 partition which raises some questions:

1. Why create the split partition scheme (small ext/large vfat)? Is there a reason I'd want to keep some storage VFAT? I have no windows box to be concerned with.

2. I'm at a point where a redo is no hassle. Should I create a swap partition?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
and it is ACTUALLY necessary to type "yes" not just a y
this is already fixed
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...8256#post88256

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
VFAT is usually retained for Windows compatability, also the NIT will only auto-mount a VFAT partition but if you have no need for Windows compatability and don't care for VFAT storage (for music, video etc.) then there's nothing to stop you from using the entire card as ext2/3 storage. To keep things simple though it might be easier to create a tiny VFAT partition and use the remaining space for ext2/3 - this way most guides and the NIT itself will work as expected.

As for the swap partition - it can be made to work, but I'm not sure there's much if any benefit over the existing swap file. The device might crash if the card containing the swap partition is removed (not tested this, just suspect that's what will happen!).

Thanks Milhouse, both for the reply and your simplified instructions for this process. And of course kudos to Fanoush and everyone else too

My external card is formatted as ext3 also. I finally got around the no automount issue by creating an init.d script that mounts it to /media/mmc1 after all other boot scripts are run...no matter what I tried, mounting it from fstab failed:

fstab: /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 ext3 defaults 0 0 will allow me to manually mount the card (as root), but it does not mount automatically... fstab: /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 ext3 rw,auto,exec,user 0 0 fails altogether. No matter I guess, the init.d script works

I hope the cloning procedure works w/o much changing when chinook becomes available!

Jeff

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Milwaukee, IL, USA
when cloning the OS, are there any benefits to formatting the SD card as ext3 instead of ext2?

when cloning the OS, are there any benefits to formatting the SD card as ext3 instead of ext2?
Well, you avoid having to fsck the card.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Just FYI, the help displays fine (i.e. it falls back to english) with the n800 in spanish.
I'm using the latest firmware but it should work equally well with the previous one (since the only change was the kernel).

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Oops, my last message was for the maemo mapper 2.0 thread. Sorry.