Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Not keen on google's formatting for Location information compared with opencellid's.
Is there anyway to use a different service or make the services optional?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Not keen on google's formatting for Location information compared with opencellid's.
Is there anyway to use a different service or make the services optional?
It is optional in the sense that you can disable internet access

As noted in the latest changelog, openCellID no longer accepts a dummy api key for location information retrieval.
I am not sure if they provide developer/application keys, so users should probably have to register themselves to obtain a key.

That could be implemented, but the most easy/user friendly way was to switch to a service without mandatory api key. That was google in this case.

But this switch should not have affected the formatting of the location information, as this part has not changed. The coordinates are no longer obtained from openCellID, but the location text is (and was) always retrieved from google, as openCellID does not have this info.

Do note that the location information is always kinda random, meaning it can be just a postal location, or a more precise point (street). Don't know if google made some changes there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
That could be implemented, but the most easy/user friendly way was to switch to a service without mandatory api key. That was google in this case.

But this switch should not have affected the formatting of the location information, as this part has not changed. The coordinates are no longer obtained from openCellID, but the location text is (and was) always retrieved from google, as openCellID does not have this info.

Do note that the location information is always kinda random, meaning it can be just a postal location, or a more precise point (street). Don't know if google made some changes there.
Well, the information shown has definitely changed somehow.

It didn't include the "UK administrative area" before the switch and it does now. I find UK administrative areas annoying and pointless, it also means the Location string is so long it goes off screen.

Anyway I thought I'd ask, I wasn't sure if there was another FOSS service or a way we could get our own API key for opencellid.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
..... or a way we could get our own API key for opencellid.
You mean for entry into the app? Or, just get an API key because indeed that is what they want users to do to enter into their app (and then if the app is capable, to transmit loc data back to them).

The site mentions maemo but has no apps listed.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
New version in extras-devel (0.0.1-13).

Changes:
Code:
* added settings screen
* switched to QSettings for config
* google or openCellId selectable as source for coordinates
For using openCellId instead of Google, you need to obtain a personal api key. If you can't enter the key as a whole, I might have to change or remove the current input mask.
To save a few bytes, you can remove the old config file (/home/user/.config/cellnet-info/cellnet-info.cfg) if it is an upgrade.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
For using openCellId instead of Google, you need to obtain a personal api key. If you can't enter the key as a whole, I might have to change or remove the current input mask.
Works for me. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Seem to be having trouble since the last update.

Current Cellular Info hangs for ~20 sec before the banner message "no info or incorrect api key."

Can't seem to get Google working either.

pastebin.com/x4FiR7QL

It seems OpenCellID will register any information without validating it and issue a API key, so is there a reason the application can't use one key for everyone?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Seem to be having trouble since the last update.

Current Cellular Info hangs for ~20 sec before the banner message "no info or incorrect api key."

Can't seem to get Google working either.

pastebin.com/x4FiR7QL
You seem to have some kind of (timing) trouble with already deleted objects. Maybe cellinfo changed before it could get the location info updated. Can't reproduce it right now. Was it incidental or is it a constant issue?

It seems OpenCellID will register any information without validating it and issue a API key, so is there a reason the application can't use one key for everyone?
Can't find a clear policy on this if it is allowed. You could ask them . But if an API key is included, it could be abused (for upload of bogus data for example), leading to a block of that key (and Cellnet-Info as a result).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
You seem to have some kind of (timing) trouble with already deleted objects. Maybe cellinfo changed before it could get the location info updated. Can't reproduce it right now. Was it incidental or is it a constant issue?
I had issues with another application, so I rebooted and seems to have partially fixed. No hanging and Google works fine, but seens OpenCellID has no information about my mast "cellinfo not found".
I'll keep an eye on it for now.

Can't find a clear policy on this if it is allowed. You could ask them . But if an API key is included, it could be abused (for upload of bogus data for example), leading to a block of that key (and Cellnet-Info as a result).
Understood, I wasn't thinking of removing the option for entering your own key, just supplying one OOTB. I suppose default is Google anyway.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
....but seens OpenCellID has no information about my mast "cellinfo not found".
I'll keep an eye on it for now.
And the same here as well. OpenCellId database seems sparse. Google works. Must poke around on the web site to see if a search there finds stuff...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:

Tags
cellular