Unless you suffer from bad eyesight, I can't think of many (any) phones where time / reception info / notifications were illegible. As far as screen area is concerned, it typically takes 1/15th to 1/20th of screen area, depending on size and resolution of the display. I don't even understand the purpose of the lock screen, or homescreen if you want to call it that. It does nothing except display information that a status bar would, except with no global visibility or access. It'd be an immense improvement if it were entirely abolished, a status bar implemented, and the pulley menu was then accessible from the main screen. The latter's only useful feature at the moment is to enable silent mode, whilst anything else can be accessed more quickly from app folders. It's also less pfaff to swipe up from the bottom to access the notification screen than look at the lock screen to see notifications, since you then have to do that anyway to actually access them.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-12-11 at 20:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
If they don't announce that it's coming in December tomorrow, it won't be coming until January ... or hopefully no later than January.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Got to agree with aegis - one of Silica's big advantages for me is that the whole screen is available for applications. No status bar, no soft buttons. The peek works really well for me.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Got to agree with aegis - one of Silica's big advantages for me is that the whole screen is available for applications. No status bar, no soft buttons. The peek works really well for me.
Maybe if you never receive messages, never move or never want to see the time at the same time as using other apps. It's one of the first (negative non-hardware related) comments that most people who I've introduced to it make. Besides, the vast majority of new phones have much higher resolutions, and a lot of them much larger screen sizes, so pixels / screen area are hardly at a premium.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-12-11 at 22:03.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I am glad my ignore list is working well.

Now if only:
  • The topic didn't appear in Active Topics.
  • I could see a generic "Bad news, everything sucks and Jolla is doomed." statement (instead of the post) that would sum it up for me.

In other news, Jolla just closed series B funding round. I wouldn't rush the 10th update if I were them (being a tester of the 9th one).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I don't even understand the purpose of the lock screen
Try enabling the LPM Glance screen and maybe you do. I'm not saying the lock screen is perfect as it is, but it's not totally useless, either.

As with the status bar, it's quite refreshing to see a UI where there is no constant distraction hanging in the corner of your eye. Also, the LED is supposed to give you information, too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I am glad my ignore list is working well.

Now if only:
  • The topic didn't appear in Active Topics.
  • I could see a generic "Bad news, everything sucks and Jolla is doomed." statement (instead of the post) that would sum it up for me.

In other news, Jolla just closed series B funding round. I wouldn't rush the 10th update if I were them (being a tester of the 9th one).
If you can see this message both you and jolla are doomed, plus ignore list doesn't work perfect for you. I have foreseen the update to...
jPhone 14th January 2015,
shipment of jolla tablet 23 May 2015,
sailfish 2.0 12 may 2015.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Anybody know what Dave999 has been up to? He's on my ignore list but I thought I'd ask. I guess if I don't hear from anyone then I'm on everyone else's ignore list... Kind of like that tree in the forest haiku. Oh dang! Why should I care. Nobody's listening anyways...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Anybody know what Dave999 has been up to? He's on my ignore list but I thought I'd ask. I guess if I don't hear from anyone then I'm on everyone else's ignore list... Kind of like that tree in the forest haiku. Oh dang! Why should I care. Nobody's listening anyways...
If i wanna read nonsence or brainless remarks i will remove D666 from my Ignore list.

Originally Posted by tmi View Post
Try enabling the LPM Glance screen and maybe you do. I'm not saying the lock screen is perfect as it is, but it's not totally useless, either.

As with the status bar, it's quite refreshing to see a UI where there is no constant distraction hanging in the corner of your eye. Also, the LED is supposed to give you information, too.
Whilst that implementation of a glance screen makes use of the existing lock screen, it is not a raison d'etre for the latter and does not require that one exists (in current form). If anything the N9-like glance screen is an argument for the case I'm making - to have information passively available all the time.

LED can only display some notification / battery status info, and nothing more ... even then, I find its consistency with actually activating itself for notifications rather lacking. Mine has never worked all the time for SMS or Mitakuuluu (RIP).