Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by CougRon View Post
Okay. Looks like the new Angry Birds Rio levels come out in a couple days (Thursday) We will not be able to add those levels to the High Score Table the way it is organized right now because Google Docs places an upper limit on the number of formulas allowed on a single spreadsheet.

I'd like to solicit opinions on what we should do about the problem to see if anyone has any bright ideas or if there is a consensus on what we should do:
  • 1) Move each AB game to it's own separate spreadsheet. (Should allow many more users and/or levels before we run into the problem again)
  • 2) Keep the spreadsheet as is, remove a bunch of users who haven't updated in a long time and/or don't have very many scores or some other criteria. (will allow many more levels but problem could quickly come back as more users are added)
  • 3) Do nothing. Let it die. everyone who wants to keep track and compare their scores should try using the leaderboards at site ____________________
  • 4) Reorganize! Completely change the structure of the spreadsheet. One idea: Scores on one tab and Formulas and Calculations on another
  • 5) [Respond with your own suggestion...]

Option 2) looks to be to be quickly workable and seems like an okay choice but other then some of the oldest names on the left who haven't put scores in for the latest levels I'm not sure who we could safely amputate. We could easily remove someone who is actually still active

I'm leaning towards option 1) - I think it would easily be understood and allow things to remain similar to how they are now while allowing for lots of future growth.

Note on option 3: I also use the leaderboards at angrybirdsnest.com to track my scores but I like using the high score table here too--it has it's charms. (Plus I'm more likely to get the high score with the fewer number of users to play against.)

Note on option 4: I don't think this solves the formula problem and keeping users consistent to allow the formulas to work properly could be a major maintenance hassle.
I vote for option 1.
especially because you don't have to scroll so much....

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Auburn, WA
Well poop. Bad news Guys. I decided to experiment with a new sheet for Rio and copying the existing scores into it when I ran into the same formula error we are getting on the High Scores sheet. It looks like the limit that triggers the error is for the entire workbook not just a single spreadsheet like the error message indicates.

So this means that moving each game to separate sheets will not work; we need to clean something out in order to add more scores. That means either clean out scores for people who haven't updated recently and/or removing a bunch of formulas from one of the other sheets like Rank or Auto High Score.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Southampton, England
CougRon, I agree. The worksheets named "RANK", "AUTO HIGH SCORE" and "INSTRUCTIONS" can all go. I believe these were setup for a trial basis upon users adding more levels themselves (hence why there is a worksheet named INSTRUCTIONS).

As no one has bothered to do this, I say get rid of them all.

Okay, Got the new Rio levels in the High Score sheet and cleaned out a bunch of formulas that did not seem to be in use. Did not touch the league leaderboard because it doesn't appear to have any formulas.

I think we are still pretty close to the max-forumulas limit though. We might still have to figure out users to trim. Either by deleting those who don't seem to be updating and/or seperating games into their own sheets and removing users who don't have scores for them.

Hi guys,

Finally i had some time to play angry birds after almost a year..
Updated my scores on poached eggs, nothing fancy, some high scores here and there.
Hopefully will finish the rest till weekend.

ps: i am so cheap still haven't bought other episodes...

cheers..

Btw, i got 62780 on Egg 3, i think it might be pretty high, is it?

FYI, an Angry Birds update is supposed to be emminent. I've added space to the spreadsheet for what should be 15 levels in a new Underground World. If the usual pattern holds, there should be 2 more updates for this world with at least 15 levels each.

So far haven't had a return of the Max formula error, but it wouldn't surprise me if it comes back. Has anyone put any thought into whether we should clean up the users and maybe delete some of them that are no longer using the spreadsheet? How would we determine these users?

Oh No! No sooner then I post the above message then I find out that Rio actually came out with an update today with the first 15 levels for the 4th set. Completely unexpected. I went to add space for them to the spreadsheet but unfortunately we've run against the Max Formula error again.

As a temporary measure I came up with a quick solution of only copying the off-maxscore formula for those users who have been entered Rio scores. If they hadn't entered a Rio score I left them blank.

"Mine and Dine' finally came out yesterday. Along with it, there have apparently been small changes to other levels to make them 'easier'. So far I've heard that 1-5 and 3-5 are different. I've tried both of them and was able to quickly improve my score on each.

Has anyone had any thoughts on how to clean up the spreadsheet?

Edit: Found a list of levels changed so far. There may be more.

Poached Eggs 1-5: Horizontal blocks are now ice (previously: wood)
Poached Eggs 1-12: The bottom horizontal floor and bottom middle pillar are now ice (previously: wood).
Poached Eggs 2-12: Last vertical plank now wood (previously: stone)
Poached Eggs 3-5: Roofing structure now ice (previously: stone). Also, minimum three-star score now 108k (previously: 89k)
Poached Eggs 3-6: 2nd train now wood (previously: stone)

Last edited by CougRon; 2011-06-17 at 21:47.

is it possible to convert the sheet to a file?
Then it's easy to download it from this forum for "comeback players" and we can delete in the online version the players who are no longer active....??

Tags
bada blows, bada rox