Well, I think it is easier to take John's defconfig and overwrite the one in the arch/arm/configs. Then recompile the kernel. and try this step again.

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
I have taken John's defconfig and re-ran these:
Code:
source build/envsetup.sh
export USE_CCACHE=1
breakfast $DEVICE
make -j$(nproc --all) hybris-hal
but got an error:
Code:
:30:26: fatal error: mach/msm_rtb.h: No such file or directory
 #include <mach/msm_rtb.h>
                          ^
compilation terminated.
So, probably I need to download the whole kernel from John's repo and re-do the steps from 5.2. Oh my.

Last edited by edp17; 2019-11-14 at 00:36. Reason: Added extra info

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
John added many commits to the normal cm12.1 kernel, that is why his defconfig does not work.

I would stay with stock cm12.1 kernel and see if everything works in Sailfish, because you do not know what and why John added some commits and maybe they are not necessary anymore...

But if you want to try his kernel, kernel download is only around 300MB

Just go through the list of mer kernel check and make the changes to your defconfig.
The necessary options can be found here: https://github.com/mer-hybris/mer-ke...el_config#L196

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Okay. Rather than downloading the whole again, I only wanted to download John's kernel.
So, I changed the local manifest to point to John's kernel (into hybris-12.1 branch) and deleted the kernel folder in the android tree. Then I ran the 'repo sync --fetch-submodules' expecting it to download the kernel into the kernel subfolder. Instead of that, it gave me an error saying the branch 'hybris-12.1' doesn't exist.

Finally, I manually created the kernel/lge/hammerhead folders and manually cloned (git clone) John's kernel into it.

The kernel compiled fine with less warning. So far so good.

Last edited by edp17; 2019-11-14 at 01:22. Reason: fixing typos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
John added many commits to the normal cm12.1 kernel, that is why his defconfig does not work.

I would stay with stock cm12.1 kernel and see if everything works in Sailfish, because you do not know what and why John added some commits and maybe they are not necessary anymore...

But if you want to try his kernel, kernel download is only around 300MB

Just go through the list of mer kernel check and make the changes to your defconfig.
The necessary options can be found here: https://github.com/mer-hybris/mer-ke...el_config#L196
Thank you. You probably are right. I have just compiled John's kernel and checked his defconfig. However CONFIG_BLK_CGROUP is defined ther, the other two (CONFIG_ECRYPT_FS and CONFIG_SUNRPC) are still not there.
But all of these were only warning, the error was somewhere else.
So, I am going back to use the cm-12.1 kernel. Then trying to fix the error that I got during the rpm packaging.
It looks like the problem is with the adaptation0 repo.

Now, I am back on kernel cm-12.1 and it compiled, passed the mer-chek. My scratchbox2 still works (compiles and runs the 'Hello World!' test program.) I re-ran the 'rpm/dhd/helpers/build_packages.sh' and got the same error. Now I am trying to fix this.

Last edited by edp17; 2019-11-14 at 01:28. Reason: Added extra info

You need to refresh the repositories in sb2.

Code:
sb2 -t $VENDOR-$DEVICE-$PORT_ARCH -m sdk-install -R zypper ref --force

You need to refresh the repositories in sb2.

Code:
sb2 -t $VENDOR-$DEVICE-$PORT_ARCH -m sdk-install -R zypper ref --force
I will do it. I found and (hopefully fixed the kernel errors) now am compiling it again. Then I refresh the scratchbox2 and continue.

Thank you for the link to the defconfig mer-kernel-check! It helped a lot!

Edit: It warned me when I re-compiled/ran the 'Hello world!' but it worked. But that time the kernel was the same. Now I changed some configs and recompiled so definitely need to refresh.

Last edited by edp17; 2019-11-14 at 01:49. Reason: Added extra info

Good work.

Sorry, i've misread the eror message, the packages do not need to be updated, there seems to be another problem. Try to ignore it and see if the build_packages script does its job.

Good work.

Sorry, i've misread the eror message, the packages do not need to be updated, there seems to be another problem. Try to ignore it and see if the build_packages script does its job.
No worries! I appreciate your help. Especially considering what the time currently is. Slowly but surely I'll get there. I hope it will work on the phone too.

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid