Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
freemangordon: Qt 5 + Wayland vs Qt 4.8 + X11? I personally think it's great they went with Wayland. Sitting on X11 is getting annoying already, and if they can squeeze EGL drivers for Wayland from their SoC manufacturer - it's a really great achievement. I really hope they aren't going to use Wayland based on libhybris with bionic drivers in their own handset.
See, it is not what me or you prefer personally. I'd like to have Jolla phone with HWKBD, resistive screen, FMTX and hildon-desktop, but this is as relevant as your personal preference. Esp if they are supposed to fight for their place under the Sun. Why do you think the average Joe gives a **** if it is Wayland or X11 and Qt 4.8 ,Qt 5, GTK, OWL or MFC on top of WinAPI? Their target are not the tech savvy guys, but the rest. Having that in mind that move makes absolutely no sense for me. They'll be too late when (and if) they release a device, the same way N9 was too late. And that will happen for similar reasons - we have something ready and instead of trying to make it finished and polished product, we scrap half of it and replace it with something yet to see the daylight. Do you think the majority of Android users have any clue what bionic or dalvik or Surface Flinger is? I doubt.

From technical POV your "preference" might make sense, but IIUC they're not doing some kind of "art for the arts sake", but trying to sell products. That won't sell good if look crappy, no mather the genius that is hidden behind.

And what irritates me a bit is that the "code everywhere" story repeats over and over again. They released SDK, lots of people ported their applications, now what? This is disgusting, sorry.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Oh, I am not complaining. I am talking about the behavior here - one has something that is working fine (or almost), but he throws it through the window because of some blurry reasoning. Instead of polishing what he already has. The point is - IMO it is wrong to make such a major change when you are on a hurry to release a device, as it will delay that release. No matter how good you are.

The reference to GTK and .deb was in that regard - Nokia did the same when all of us were expecting the step 5/5. And we all know what the result was/is.
Polishing X11 is like polishing a broken car from 1990...

Now go out get the facts instead of crying.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ituation&num=1

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
freemangordon: Qt 5 + Wayland vs Qt 4.8 + X11? I personally think it's great they went with Wayland. Sitting on X11 is getting annoying already, and if they can squeeze EGL drivers for Wayland from their SoC manufacturer - it's a really great achievement. I really hope they aren't going to use Wayland based on libhybris with bionic drivers in their own handset.
I don't blame them if they do. There is VERY FEW SoC who has core Linux drivers

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Crying? WTF? I can cry for something I care much for, which is not the case with Jolla. Just sharing some thoughts, but well, ok, I'll stop that.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Polishing X11 is like polishing a broken car from 1990...

Now go out get the facts instead of crying.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ituation&num=1
ok, so youre saying you don't want any maemo/meego apps ported to jolla?

do you need an explanation as to why youre saying that?

two letters:PY

who's going to go and learn c++ just to port their unit converter to jolla?

THP is porting gpodder to c++ jolla, but he actually works for them now AFAIK.

still you'll have lots of ANDROID apps to choose from. not all of them will work though. it just a dalvik compatibility layer and not the real thing. if that's all you want (which is exactly what youre saying), then buy a SAMSUNG.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post

Just FYI, thp is doing something called PyOtherSide for Qt5: http://thpmaemo.blogspot.co.at/2013/...n-on-qt-5.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
and thp is a Jolla employe since a few days/weeks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
and thp is a Jolla employe since a few days/weeks
Great to hear, I think he can turn this sinking boat around and get some stuff done!

Plus he seems like a very nice guy without even know him

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-19 at 16:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Jolla are doing a good job being Wayland adopters, while others dragging their feet behind. Wayland is stable for a while already. Time to use it. Even Intel planned to use Wayland in Meego a whole while ago. So there is no sudden "change of plans". It's BAU.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
ok, so youre saying you don't want any maemo/meego apps ported to jolla?

do you need an explanation as to why youre saying that?

still you'll have lots of ANDROID apps to choose from. not all of them will work though. it just a dalvik compatibility layer and not the real thing. if that's all you want (which is exactly what youre saying), then buy a SAMSUNG.
What the hell are you talking about? PySide can be ported to Qt5 just go out port it if you want it! its open source Something that people can contribute on for free. But instead we sit here discussion instead of contribute

If people (including myself) used all the time here crying about no X11 to instead use the time fix the bindings it would be much better!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-19 at 17:13.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open