Active Topics

Okey, so what i think...
Everybody in Nokia who is involved somehow with meego should do the best they can to prove that this OS is right way to go, not quit! It has future but not if they let Elop kill it (i dont understand how everybody around in nokia let him do what he does)
Why the hell would you announce that you are dropping everything?! it should all go smooth, if they want to try WP7, okey, release few models along with symbian and MeeGo, if people find it better- slowly kill off products that dont seem to be profitable enough!
Nokias ideas were the best, they just have hard time completing them... but becoming boring company is not future proof plan.

Here is what i would do:P : Nokia is to slow developing their own OS - ok. So, take one year off from symbian and meamo/meego, release android phones with QT support, promote QT, release great apps with QT (ovi maps....) . When symbian + meego is ready, release this combo and you have a winner with QT developers and ready apps + if android turned out to be better way than using symbian, drop symbian by natural death, meego is must for true power users.

It is funny that i invented this strategy in few minutes, i am wondering how many things are wrong with it:P Elop is very selfish. If you read this (lol) : Your way is WRONG. If you wouldn't have any bigger connections with microsoft, maybe i would trust you little bit

About N9: Its nice phone but... is os killing off not used apps? i think it finally is as apps are designed to be swiped off, so... i think there should be a way to "pin" apps, this way they are always on top and never killed. So much open apps can be problematic and for example if i am chatting with someone, i want IM app always on top - pinned.

Event window is cool, if you think about destops(like on n900) it is not the right way, they are very customizable but they are stupid, sorry for saying it. Its hard to explain, but if i look at your n900 desktops - they are always a mess and i dont belive it is fast to use 3+ desktops as some of you are.
Anyway, events window should support some kind off drop down widgets so you can click to show/hide them separately or all and under them should be events list. For example you wanna play music- go to events/widgets and hit play than click to hide all widgets so you can focus on events.

Folders in menu is must, it is not easy to find apps in long scroll down list as icon position depends on power of your scroll - you cannot remember apps positions this way!

+ Release Keyboard version!!!!

****...it was suppose to be quick post, sorry

Originally Posted by Arpa View Post
If I was working in a phone shop I would ask what the customer would like to use his phone for and not push some phone down his throat he doesn't necessarily need.

everything else is bonus.
Oh, from how I read that post he seemed NOT to be pushing any particular phone, but rather the opposite, he was thinking about the customers needs.

How many salesmen actually even know about future device support? And I wouldn't exactly consider that a bonus.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by billybobjones View Post
You're right the N9 has a great design, to be honest maybe one of the best around. As an operating system Harmatten is awesome, so is Maemo 5.

I do disagree with you about people not caring about an ecosystem. Granted, perhaps they don't even know it's called an ecosystem or that they've even joined one. I've been helping people build or pick their electronic devices since I was 14 and still to this day I'll get people who tell me that they need a laptop or desktop with a powerful graphics card and it has to be Nvidia because Nvidia is best, or it could be AMD CPU is best because last they shopped for a coumputer was in the AMD 64 days and all they remember was someone telling them to go AMD and they've just never stopped.

You're right that people don't know architecture but they do know numbers and when they see 1.5 ghz vs 1.0 ghz at the same price they'll more often enough pick 1.5 ghz because more is better, same with ram, 512 has to be better than 256. Sure, they don't know if it's ddr 3 or ddr 4 it's just a higher number which just makes it better. So, I do believe that specs do make a fair difference in clients choices. If you don't market specs but you market it as a newer number such as, iphone 5 vs iphone 4 and how it's much faster, better ect... you get the same effect.

Same with the app ecosystem, when you're at airport and you see you can check in with an iphone app, when you're bank advertises mobile banking with an iphone app, when you're friends have these cool games on their iphone, when you go to twitter, and facebook and they advertise their mobile iphone clients you begin to wonder hey whats all this iphone business about. Ditto with android.

Now lets say you're sister is shopping for a mobile phone, she gets the N9 and realizes that suddenly the situation isn't quite the same. There isn't all these N9 apps and all her favorite sites are offering iphone apps but not N9 apps, do you think she'll rebuy?

This phone may get more mainstream than the N900, but it's not going to replace iOS or andorid. Nokia knows this, which is why they've chosen to go with Phone 7. So, if you're not successfully targeting that causal crowd who are you going to target? the power users? the latest and the best crowd? I don't think Nokia figured this out and that is the problem.

Nokia is now the underdog and their track record isn't that great as of late. If they can't make a device that wow's with amazing software and equally amazing hardware I fear they're not going to gain casual users and they'll lose the existing power ones.

The N9 is a good device, but amongst a sea of other good devices Nokia badly needs an amazing one.
I agree with your assessment on additional added apps which do appeal to the people that actually use them, but is that the real deal breaker to purchasing a smart phone for lets say a person like my sister, unless its something which affects her daily life, I'm not so sure. Like the previous poster said about his wife, my sister in all honesty have seen her use her phone like this:

Facebook updates 30 percent
Messaging/email 30 percent
Random web surfing to look at chanel or louis vuitton purses, US magazine updates, youtube, 20 percent
Talking 20 percent

Now I don't want to be gender biased or how many females actually buy a smartphone, but lets say they represent 50 percent of the marketplace, and a high percentage of them are basically users like my sister, thats alot of people that basically want something that is nice to look at and easy to use.

Right now compared to the N9, Iphone4 looks so outdated in terms of:

Examples:
Different colours-N9
Camera-N9
screen size-N9
Design-N9
Reception-N9
Wow factor/Showing off to friends-N9

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diavoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
one other thing...no landscape on the homescreens?
http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe.../Hardware.html

http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...09467930614562
http://felipec.wordpress.com/2011/06.../#comment-5954
go there and say thanks, guys this mass market device.

lets hope n900 get later a true successor with all features and xenon flash.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
i've been thinking. it hasn't bothered me that the n900 hasn't got the support from nokia you'd have hoped. some important updates, made it stable but nothing really in the way of trying to make it work. it does really everything i can want it to do. maybe a little dissapointed in the lack of little timewasters (mini games) i could play on a bus or lunch break but no biggie.
so what of the n9? how much will they support it? will it have alot of 'out of box' content and functionality that it is fine? i'm not sure if anyone is like me but i tend to replace my phone after 2 years. and the only thing i tend to port over is contacts so not too fused about how much love they give it if it works fine and does a good job.

I can see why they are pushing WP7, it has a boatload of apps to boast about even though it's very fresh, it has xbox live intergration, it has skype coming, lots of social networking intergration, mango update brings alot of interesting additions. microsoft are pushing out updates FAST and they don't have to concentrate on hardware just the software. nokia can do the hardware and spend less money on software now, they save billions on R&D now. let them push WP7 make the wedge in the market so it's not too monopolised by android and ios, means they can get their customer base back, build up meego along the way and when their ready push the market again. but i do think meego itself is too unpolished for full push, if it wasn't for this herm/meego it'd be terrible.

let meego mature more, let wp7 carve out a piece of the market and keep supporting meego projects. i intend too since i like what if offers me.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Oh, from how I read that post he seemed NOT to be pushing any particular phone, but rather the opposite, he was thinking about the customers needs.
Most people don't _need_ smartphone even. So the question should have been, "what you want to do with your phone" and not "I think you can do with iPhone or WP7 phone". In the end that may be true, but the way there is not correct.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Would I buy an N9? Yes.

Would I consider an N9 as an upgrade to the N900? No.

Given the trade-offs an N900 user would have to make going to the N9, I personally think it's a sidegrade. To be fair, we haven't really seen what the N9 is capable of after giving the Maemo/MeeGo community some time to work with it - so comparing it to the N900 which has ended up being clocked to 1.1GHz and hacked into transmitting FM (wasn't part of the original spec list right?) is a little unfair.

I really do hope that given some time, the N9 will be able to fill the very large shoes that the N900 has left behind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biatch0 For This Useful Post:
Around when can we expect Nokia to announce it's official release date?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Around when can we expect Nokia to announce it's official release date?
the best we have is an assertion that nokia wants to cut down the time from announcement to sales.................... which isn't very comforting.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland