Active Topics

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Fiji Islands
http://www.clear-coat.com/product.php?productid=698

Clear Coat is the best i reckon. I have it on my fone for 2 months now, you wouldnt notice its on the fone. Select between Screen protector or full body protection, and also " Life Time Warranty" ...

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by badabing View Post
I bought today a no name screen protector for 7 Euro's. Is there any noticable difference between the so much choice of protectors?
It actually varies, there are quite decent low-cost protectors out there - but there are also many bad ones in the lower pricerange. If it fits the device good, can be removed easily, has a decent texture and doesn't scratch too easily, then you most likely got a good one.

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
OK here you are. Sorry it took a while because I had to borrow a camera (the N900 is normally my camera).

For those who weren't following the previous discussions, I've summarised the product after the photos. I'm not connected to the product in any way except as a customer.

Covers separately, off the N900, outside-up:
Attachment 4959

Covers separately, off the N900, inside-up:
Attachment 4960

N900 with covers snapped on, screen side:
Attachment 4961

N900 with covers snapped on, keyboard open:
Attachment 4962

N900 with covers snapped on, camera side:
Attachment 4963

This is the Qubits Hybrid Armour Soft Touch Case with Screen Protector from Amazon UK. The total cost for the case and screen protector (including shipping!) was only £3.40. It arrived two days after I ordered it.

The screen protector came with an anti-static dust cloth which worked really well for cleaning the screen prior to application. Positioning the screen protector was much easier than the DuraSec which I have on my N810 (or maybe I was just lucky).

The screen protector has a great feel (smooth but not slippery) and I don't notice any reduction in sensitivity whether using finger or stylus. It has small cutouts around all the sensors and also around the little NOKIA bezel.

Included in the price is a two-part plastic "soft touch" case. It's a semi-hard ploastic case in two parts, with a rubbery coating on the outside surfaces. The top part clips around the screen, protecting the sides of the screen and providing a raised bezel effect (but the bezel doesn't go right up to the display area so it doesn't have the problems of the N8x0 bezels). The bottom part clips around the keyboard with cutouts for all the sockets and controls.

Before I had this case I was worried about getting out the slippery N900 when walking along, in case I dropped it. The case gives much better grip and I'm not at all concerned now.

There are three minor downsides though. First, it adds a millimetre of thickness (maybe even 1.5mm) but only at the front. At the back, it doesn't make it as thick as the existing camera protruberance. Second, when you open the keyboard, the presense of the top half of the case slightly reduces the "free space for fat fingers" above the top row of keys. I don't find this a problem, but for some people it might be a slight inconvenience. Third, it makes it slightly fiddlier to deploy the kickstand.

Regards,
Roger
hello. I'm using that cover for some months. It lasts not so long as expected. The first thing to break are the cover supports.

cypherinfo

Ok, so I got my stuff.
I added the Zcover clip to the Otterbox.
There are a few parts to the clip set.

There is a back tab that goes inside the case of the device (shown here the one from my old Zcover case for my iAudio X5):

I installed this by drilling 2 holes in the appropriate places in the Otterbox out case. I installed it between the outer case and silicon inner case.

Next there is the clip that goes on the outside of the case and locks onto the tab:

This is the universal connector used to connect to various Zcover clips. This fits just right with the tab installed between the 2 layers of the Otterbox.

Next is the quick release belt clip:

The connector clip slides and locks into this, and can rotate once locked in. There is a button on the belt clip to release the latch so the device can be pulled out. Mine is a bit tough to unlock/lock at times, but I suspect it will loosen up a bit with time.

All together:

The installation of the clip seems to have minimal interference with the Otterbox installation. You'll notice I have a decoration on my N900, I pulled the cord to the side and have it feeding out the edge of the USB cover, which doesn't seem to have interfered.
I did notice that 2 of the clips of the Otterbox on the bottom of the keyboard don't seem to have gone up quite as far as they should (I assume they are supposed to click over the edge of the keyboard like the corner clips). I assume this is from the slight difference in overall height due to the zcover tab behind the phone. However the Otterbox is still very secure and tough to remove.

The full image gallery is here.

Overall thoughts:
It was fairly easy to mod the Otterbox to install the Zcover clip.
The clip does not seem to have affected the installation of the Otterbox in a significant way.

Benefits:
You get a quick release belt clip along with your Otterbox (or whatever other Zcover clip/holder you want to use).
You get a loop on top of the clip on the phone that you could attack something to.

Drawbacks:
You can't lay your N900 flat with the clip.
You can't stand your N900 straight on the kickstand with the clip because it changes the balance and causes the N900 to lean a bit to the right.
The clip adds a bit more bulk to the N900 (and to your belt, but any belt holder would do that).
The extra depth from the tab in the case prevents a "perfect" installation of the Otterbox on the phone, but this does not seem to affect the stability of the install.

Other:
I tried a couple times to get the Otterbox screen protector on and then gave up on it.
I think my room is just too dusty to get something sticky like that in place and properly sealed.
I guess I'll have to look for other screen protectors that might be easier to install, and try to install in a cleaner environment.

Tomorrow I'll be out and around a bit, so I'll see how the phone feels attached to my belt.

The Following User Says Thank You to techiem2 For This Useful Post:
Another note: The phone in the belt clip stands up nicely.

Last edited by techiem2; 2010-06-05 at 22:19.

I recently tried the Clarivue Anti-Glare screen protector to see how different it is from the Ultra-Clear finish.

And it's very different. In comparison, the Anti-Glare is thinner, less clingy, and a bit easier to install. It enables much more touch-screen sensitivity. It offers a dull / matt finish which provides hardly any stylus resistance. That said I put a fairly long and deep stylus scratch in it within a few hours of use.

The matt finish reduced screen visibility enough to be noticable. It looks like a significant drop in resolution. I had it under incandescent light, fluorescent light, and direct sunlight. The "anti-glare" gains were minimal at best - especially outdoors where it performed particularly badly under direct sun.

Overall I didn't like the Anti-Glare protector very much, and find the Ultra-Clear protector far superior. It too scratches fairly easily, but the clarity is fantastic, and I like the amount of stylus resistance that it offers.

It appears that Clarive is cutting the N900 protectors a little bit smaller which makes them somewhat less tedious to install. Trick is to give the screen a blast of compressed air immediately before lining up the Nokia logo first.

Here's a few pictures of the N900 in the belt clip standing on my desk:

I usually leave it in the clip and stand it on my desk when I am sitting at my desk at work, and then clip it on to my belt when I am leaving my office.

The full sized pictures are in the gallery as before.

The Following User Says Thank You to techiem2 For This Useful Post:
i have ordered a pouch case + screen protector from the famous site:
www.pdair.com
will get them 1 week time...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I just got a leather Pdair case with a belt clip. I'm happy with it so far. I use it while jogging and everywhere else too. My only fear is that it will wear out fast. If so, Otter case here I come.

I'm still on my own epic search for the right case. I put an as-yet-unanswered post at the end of this thread here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=47647&page=2), but maybe I should have done that on this, the mammoth n900 case thread. basically, has anyone found a good, *non-"flappy"* silicon or rubber case--not hard plastic--that helps absorbs the impact of "normal" drop??? if so, could you provide a link, ebay seller name, or the like? thank you!

Last edited by moscatomg1; 2010-07-01 at 01:11.

Tags
accessories, accessory, case, gear, holster, n900, pouch, protection, screen protector