Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Some personal concern:
1.the LTE option seems incompactible with local LTE frequency (FDD 1800/2600MHz, TDD 2300MHz)
2. personally with no history of using maemo, feel interseted with it at 700EUR if it is with OMAP5 and other this type of hardware with the nokia casing(?), or 100EUR in current spec, (as I just checked some online shops selling "all-new" N900 in less than 50EUR....)

The Following User Says Thank You to c933103 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
Some personal concern:
1.the LTE option seems incompactible with local LTE frequency (FDD 1800/2600MHz, TDD 2300MHz)
2. personally with no history of using maemo, feel interseted with it at 700EUR if it is with OMAP5 and other this type of hardware with the nokia casing(?), or 100EUR in current spec, (as I just checked some online shops selling "all-new" N900 in less than 50EUR....)
These "all-new" N900's that you found in these online shops are not N900's. Nokia made the N900's..... they stopped making them a while ago...years ago in fact....these "all-new" N900's at less than 50EU are flawed knock-off pieces of garbage. These "fabulous" deals are an attempt to yoink your money out of your wallet.
Currently there is good money in making these knock-offs since the N900 is desirable.
Look through the forums here and you will find a few threads pertaining to these fraud devices and exactly in what ways they are lacking in the capabilities of a "real" N900.

1- Insist on seeing clear photos of the guts of what you are buying..
If they won't or insist it is stock photos and that there may be differences with your unit..or there are "discrepancies"...there is your 1st warning signs.

2- Currently you will pay more for a "real" N900 than one of these "all-new" ones.
Fraud 101: If it looks too good to be true it usually is.
Caveat Emptor...Let the buyer Beware

Originally Posted by aeon_light View Post

Actually, there aren't that many fake N900s out there anymore - it's no longer considered to have wide enough appeal to fake. Most of the cheaper ones which are advertised as "new" are actually refurb ones, with maybe a fake sticker indicating that it was made in Finland. I highly doubt there is any legitimate new N900 stock anymore.

A casual look-up on ebay nets 37 n900's ...of those 37.... 21 are "new" from Hong Kong ... they aren't cheap...they are pretty slick lookin' too. Yes it may not be on par with buying a "genuine" IPID () as far as overwhelming numbers of fakes goes....but over half of the n900's available ARE these models from Hong Kong...and they don't perform EVEN half as well or properly as a legit n900...and the guts on many of these are not "right" so-to-speak.

As well it is concerning enough to see that there IS enough of a market to try and pinch money from many unsuspecting rubes.

On the same token it signifies that years and years later ...the n900 is still a coveted enough a device to make knock-offs of....So that REALLY says something...eh? How many devices 3-4-5 years later are still being faked? Not too many I'm guessin' .

There are plenty of threads and posts concerning n900 doppelgangers running around without me adding more HERE concerning them. I do believe that for newly subscribed members looking at the neo900 or a more affordable n900 option SHOULD BE FOREWARNED concerning these n900 knock-offs...since it was an inevitable that it would be brought up here...I believe to save new members from being swindled....it should be pointed out succinctly, clearly and in broad capital letters and we move right along...since thread derailment concerning fraudulent hack-jobs...turning the neo900 in to yet another android device...meltdowns...trolls... etc..etc..etc... is not an interest to me here...the neo900 is...so I'll fin here.

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-10-07 at 04:14. Reason: merging

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
Many of those are fakes and others are refurbished to varying degrees and quality. Nonetheless, given the philosophical intent of the neo900, it may not be the phone for you price-wise.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Actually, there aren't that many fake N900s out there anymore - it's no longer considered to have wide enough appeal to fake. Most of the cheaper ones which are advertised as "new" are actually refurb ones, with maybe a fake sticker indicating that it was made in Finland. I highly doubt there is any legitimate new N900 stock anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon_light For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by aeon_light View Post
Actually, there aren't that many fake N900s out there anymore
I still see quite a number of dual SIM N900 with 320*200 LCD and some 4 or 8 MB of RAM
Alibaba.com has lots of them, as well as a lot of mixed forms with allegedly maemo OS and OMAP3430 and still 320*200 screen
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
When you think you'll start selling theese pcbs? Internal will be still 32 gb plus sd slot? And how about that fast swap ? Another memory chip ?
CSSU-T latest version

The Following User Says Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
When you think you'll start selling theese pcbs? Internal will be still 32 gb plus sd slot? And how about that fast swap ? Another memory chip ?
Please see post#1 timeline link. We're still checking if Neo900 is feasible at all. We might go for 1GB RAM and no particularly fast swap, there are no chips for that fast-swap idea, it seems
Feasibility study still WIP, we need to find compromises, like switching from mini- to micro-SIM: Not exactly a simple task to find *any* way to make this dream come true...
...no matter which side you look at it
Please wait for feasibility study (some 20p, WIP) to get published RSN. Then we know what we need to check in detail, from that what components to source, then what circuit to design, and then we might develop a first idea about price range.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-07 at 07:13.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
And how about wi-fi card ? Did you guys find a good one ? And do you have a deadline to release pcb ?
1Ghz & 1Gb RAM , the new dsp , faster graphic chip , lte modem ,and all sensors enumerated in 1st post sounds good .
Now how about price range , emmc storage,bluetooth,fm transmiter ,irda , could you make a wiki with all hardware components of the ''neo'' or those are about to change depending parts availability?
Thank you all!
CSSU-T latest version

The Following User Says Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
I've just read the new specs on the neo900 website, and I'm very happy to learn it, especially the ir learning. But with this new specs, I assume that the battery life will be shorter. Any idea of how long ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Feasibility study still WIP, we need to find compromises, like switching from mini- to micro-SIM:
Personal wishlist: please try to avoid that. This would make it almost impossible to use a double-SIM adapter (at least very hard using one of those flimsy ribbon cable adapters and needing space for another micro SIM near the slot).
Or did I get you wrong and you want a micro SIM slot? [then I personally wish you fail on this , but only this!]

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!