Active Topics

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
So I expect they will be a 'loan', but the type of loan where it's not expected you'll ever be asked to return them.
Our understanding is that these devices are in fact given, not loaned. That was stated by Quim while he was the Nokia rep, and AFAIK, that has not changed on his leaving.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
As you already have a N950 (I assume through a similar device program) there will be similar expectations on you that you'll appreciate any device you win.
The official rules are that you can not win a device of the same type if you've won past Nokia competitions. So if you have an N950 from a previous event, you may in fact only claim an N9.

As for when results will be ready, the machine will make the vote tallies available as soon as the poll closes. However, due to considerations like those above (and the fact that some entrants are in multiple categories, and can only validly win one category?) the "official" results may be somewhat different for a given category than what a simple run of the vote counter would yield.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Serbia
I'm freaking

The Following User Says Thank You to draxcp6 For This Useful Post:
As for devices sponsored by Nokia - they're definitely "owned", not "loaned". At least, that was the case for 74 devices already assigned. I doubt, that it will change for last 26 ones.

As for rules - AFAIK, rule about"can"t get same device type, if You won it from other program already" was only valid for Community Awards. Last time I checked (was while ago) - it was up to Coding Competition, *not* Council, to decide how devices will be assigned by Coding Competition.

I'm certain, that Nokia haven't requested any changes to it (in fact, it's hard to get *any* contact with them, lately), so it's still up to CC Masters, to decide. Council role start and ends by sending list of winners to Nokia contact.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thanks to Woody and Estel for clearing up the loaned/owned question, so there you have it guys

In regards to previous devices received by the winners, it's probably best to err on the side of caution so no-one is disappointed. From my understanding, Nokia have been strict on the 'one device model rule per developer through a device program' in the past. We make mention of it in the competition rules just in case:

Device prizes are distributed by Nokia, in accordance with any rules and restrictions of the Nokia device program. Receipt of devices from previous distribution programs could affect the competition winner(s) options of available device. If a suitable device cannot be arranged through the device program, we will make efforts to substitute a share of the community prize fund.
Edit: In case anyone is wondering, I don't have any results as yet.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-28 at 04:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
kojacker, I'm sure that most of device recipients (from previous programs) would be honorable enough, to not accept 2nd N950. Heck, if You remember, one winner from Community Awards even donated his *first* device (at least, from programs ) of this type, to Coding Competition.

Although, IIRC Nokia statement about devices, ti was totally up to us (Community) to decide. I doubt, that anyone changed in that matter. At least, during Community Awards program, it was Council's decision to limit possibility of getting 2nd device from Nokia's programs, not Nokia directive. So, it's probably "hot topic" for CC to decide - the faster, the better, if You ask me. I think it would be great to answer definitely, before winners are announced (just a suggestion).
---

In my personal opinion (= feel free to scrap it into trash bin, and don't care) it would be best, for such "controversial" case, to keep honor of being winner, but pass device to another recipient (after all, what can be done with 2nd N950, if we don't like idea of selling it on eBay for more $$$ than whole monetary pool for prizes on CC?).

IIRC, Coding Competition have nice tradition of very honorable winners, that passed device further if decided that don't need it, in reality. So I doubt there will be any big problem, after all

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
kojacker, I'm sure that most of device recipients (from previous programs) would be honorable enough, to not accept 2nd N950. Heck, if You remember, one winner from Community Awards even donated his *first* device (at least, from programs ) of this type, to Coding Competition.

Although, IIRC Nokia statement about devices, ti was totally up to us (Community) to decide. I doubt, that anyone changed in that matter. At least, during Community Awards program, it was Council's decision to limit possibility of getting 2nd device from Nokia's programs, not Nokia directive. So, it's probably "hot topic" for CC to decide - the faster, the better, if You ask me. I think it would be great to answer definitely, before winners are announced (just a suggestion).
---

In my personal opinion (= feel free to scrap it into trash bin, and don't care) it would be best, for such "controversial" case, to keep honor of being winner, but pass device to another recipient (after all, what can be done with 2nd N950, if we don't like idea of selling it on eBay for more $$$ than whole monetary pool for prizes on CC?).

IIRC, Coding Competition have nice tradition of very honorable winners, that passed device further if decided that don't need it, in reality. So I doubt there will be any big problem, after all

/Estel
Thanks Estel It may be that there isn't the same restrictions with the coding competition, but you're the first person who has mentioned that to me. I don't have any direct contact with the Nokia rep to know either way, but the word from current council is that the restriction is in place. So in this case I have to go with the restriction is there so that nobody is disappointed later on.

Most people understand that we must abide by the rules of the Nokia device program and basically those exact rules are whatever the Nokia rep decides at that time Our job at the coding competition is to distribute these devices assigned to us as fairly as we can, but we can't force the Nokia rep to do whatever is decided here. And as you know, our Nokia rep has changed at least once during the competition and it's hard to gauge their mood on things I'll help to accommodate everyone's requests but if Nokia refuses to send a device to someone there's only so much we can do to persuade them.

My first task when the final list of winners is in, is to contact them and see if they have received a device before and what their expectation of a prize is. If anyone is in the situation where they are requesting the same device they received previously I can offer to see if council can contact the rep to confirm however I'll make it clear (if it isn't already) about the restriction on previous device programs and it may not be possible. To be honest, we've discussed devices many times in the thread and I think most people are aware of the restrictions we work around. So I'm not sure it's a hot topic, but please don't create it as one now the competition has effectively ended!

Edit: We have the ballots in OpenSTV format, paging Wonko to help with counting the votes

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-28 at 05:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
It's strange, that council told You about restriction. when I was Councilor (which covered whole thing about CA), Quim's stance was "you give me list of winners, I send devices" - without any restrictions. I also remember creating such limits during Council's discussions itself, so I have sneaky suspicions that there is some misunderstanding, as such limit was totally made up by Council (as for last device program).

Maybe it's good idea to ask, during today's Council meeting?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Morning all,

just got a ping from kojacker that the voting closed and the raw results can be downloaded.
Thanks a bunch for the notification.

I am right now getting the raw results and preparing the evaluation.
Will post the rankings asap.

With respect for the upcoming procedure.
I will evaluate the results as described in the Wiki and will post them here.

However, I propose that we treat these results as "preliminary" and leave some time for protest just in case someone has objections.
After, say one or two days, if no objections came up then these preliminary results can be considered verified and thus are the official final results.

Having said that, I encourage everyone to cross check the results.
Raw results, evaluation algorithm and software are all freely available (see the Wiki page).

So, going to do the evaluation right now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
There you are:

Code:
Coding Competition 2012 - Desktop, System, and Utilities
1 Saera
2 maecaltasks
3 widgets
4 KhtNotes
5 DingMee
6 PowEdit
7 timenow
8 ReferIt
9 USSD balance
10 modern computer flatboat
11 Server Status Widget
12 AlloCine
13 DoMee
14 VirtRanSim
15 KhtBMA
16 Wleux
17 ext2Manager
18 Sync Yourself
19 CountYourScores
20 Klippr
21 MeeWOD
22 FilmNotes
Code:
Coding Competition 2012 - Games, Graphics, and Multimedia
1 pcam
2 Alpha Strike
3 Crosswords
4 Instago
5 Lone Wolf
6 MaeLyrica
7 Nyan Cat
8 BlockMaster
9 Hits.
10 Square-It
11 Adventlands
12 Meemory
13 Math Bingo
14 TriQuick
15 Reaction Challenge
16 ThrowIn
17 Splat It
Code:
Coding Competition 2012 - Location and Navigation
1 meeTrainer
2 GeePS2
3 EnyTrip
4 Next BART
Code:
Coding Competition 2012 - Network and Communications
1 WifiTrans
2 User Agent Tool
3 genwall
4 Transmission Remote
5 HeySms
6 Bumblr
7 ServerMonitor
8 MoGateway
9 SMS Scheduler
10 MeegIM
11 IrsTerm
12 meeBay
13 syncgcontacts
14 ToggleWlanScan
Code:
Coding Competition 2012 - Other
1 MeeCoLay
2 SIM-Switcher
3 Pomodoro
4 BioPower
5 WPx Emulator
6 MeeGoal
7 Kana of The Day
8 NumboTime
9 Remove Sim Shorcut
10 Task Poach
11 QMetronome
Code:
Coding Competition 2012 - Updates and development on existing apps
1 modRana
2 ProfileMatic
3 N9 Quick Tweak
4 MeeDocs
5 Presence VNC
6 qMetro
7 Crazy Chickens game
8 Mieru
9 AutoCallSMS
10 TxPad QML
11 location2sms
12 Audiobook Reader
13 QNetMan2
14 CacheMe
15 redak
16 Blob
17 MiniBible
18 Puppy File Server
Code:
Coding Competition 2012 - Beginners
1 Alpha Strike
2 SIM-Switcher
3 meeTrainer
4 Crosswords
5 genwall
6 Puppy File Server
7 DingMee
8 AlloCine
9 Next BART
10 Task Poach
11 Hits
12 BlockMaster
13 ReferIt
14 Kana of The Day
15 ServerMonitor
16 ext2Manager
17 Server Status Widget
18 BioPower
19 syncgcontacts
20 MeeWOD
21 QMetronome
22 NumboTime
23 Math Bingo
24 Reaction Challenge
25 Sync Yourself
26 FilmNotes
Congratulations to all the ("preliminary"?) winners.

As posted before I propose that these results are treated as preliminary in order to allow protest in case there are objections.
After, say 24 or 48 hours, when there had been no protest or possible objections could be checked these results would then become the official final results.
I encourage everyone to cross-check these results.
I added the last places manually as the voting script does not print out the last place.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
HAHAHAHA !
5 th !!! I think i will cry ...
HAHAHAHA !

The life is dirty

Anyway, Thanks all !!!!

Last edited by titilambert; 2012-09-28 at 07:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to titilambert For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas