Active Topics

I don't get it. If one wants to run Android apps why not just get an Android device? They are available right now in a wide range of form factors, hardware capabilities and price points.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I don't get it. If one wants to run Android apps why not just get an Android device? They are available right now in a wide range of form factors, hardware capabilities and price points.
Well, while I understand what you're saying and likely agree generally, what's wrong with adding one more device to that varied landscape? More importantly, if you're more comfortable with the N9's interface and hardware, it gives you THAT plus the wide library of Android apps to get things done while you're waiting for native apps to develop. I don't see anything wrong with it at all, even if you could go out and get a dedicated device based on Android. The more the better, really, especially if you're a commercial developer.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
here is my conundrum:

The N9 product page does not list the UK as a target market, alongside quite a few other western european nations as well as the US.

A Nokian on Nokia Conversations has said that the N9 will still be available in those markets through third parties.

Will the N9 be available on contract in the UK if the UK is not a target market?

Anyone who can answer this will earn my undieing gratitude.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Sure, why would anyone wish for A + B when they can already have B?? Makes no sense lol.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sts1976 View Post
Android apps will be available by the end of the year on the N9 through Alien Dalvik system.

This is what we are talking about…

http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n9-an...lvik-22160809/
Nokia is done, finished, finito, valmis with spending money on the N9 (except for mandatory support and warranty, and perhaps a few ads).

There will be no Alien Dalvik on the N9.

Perhaps some Android developers might port their apps with it, but due to the small market size, I doubt it. Look how many apps were ported with AD to the N900 (hint: 0).

Besides, Nokia is WP7 from now on. Why would they even think of doing that?

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Is the embedded youtube player seen on that page their HTML5 player?

The Following User Says Thank You to XceeD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Hey, are you doing your full impression of the n9 on shootpseak soon?
I sure am. I just had zero time all day today. Hope to finish it by the weekend now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
here is my conundrum:

The N9 product page does not list the UK as a target market, alongside quite a few other western european nations as well as the US.

A Nokian on Nokia Conversations has said that the N9 will still be available in those markets through third parties.

Will the N9 be available on contract in the UK if the UK is not a target market?

Anyone who can answer this will earn my undieing gratitude.

I am not worried about this. Nokia might not list them as countries in a drop down list but that means little right now. It must have to do with Nokia closing their stores and providing a direct shop to customers. I believe they will use operators to sell the device - 3rd Party approach. No way would they leave the most profitable markets in europe out of a new device, especially a premium (haha) device as the N9.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Where? I cant find it...

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
I am not worried about this. Nokia might not list them as countries in a drop down list but that means little right now. It must have to do with Nokia closing their stores and providing a direct shop to customers. I believe they will use operators to sell the device - 3rd Party approach. No way would they leave the most profitable markets in europe out of a new device, especially a premium (haha) device as the N9.
yes, i hadn't realised that most of the non-listed countries were also the same countries that will have the local-nokia retail branch closed.

so yes, i too am hopeful for carrier subsided N9 contracts.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????