Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
A final note, Whatsapp in EDGE (2.5G) is very bad...
Except when really needing speed, I am always connected in 2.5G mode and Yappari works fine. Obviously when receiving a call, I get disconnected, but aftewards reconnected without problems. I save a lot of battery not using 3G all the time.

Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
I'd try to implement a better disconnection detection in Yappari but it's hard with what Whatsapp protocol gives me. There are "pings" to avoid being disconnected from the server, that Whatsapp client has to send every 5 minutes, but servers don't send an answer (to check if the server is alive for example). To detect an inhibited connection (that's fairly often in 2.5G) with Whatsapp is very hard...

I'll think of something that can help...

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
There are "pings" to avoid being disconnected from the server, that Whatsapp client has to send every 5 minutes, but servers don't send an answer
Well, then I supose that Yappari will do a reconnection every 5 minutes if disconnected, doesn't it? I don't a big problem and I think that every you can do will make Yappari eat more battery. Maybe a button to manually "reconnect now" could please the user if (s)he can't wait 5 minutes.

I received two more times (that's 3 in total) the whatsapp update message.

Last edited by malkavian; 2012-07-05 at 00:03.

Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
The thing is that when the connection is REALLY bad (2.5G or less) sometimes the connection is lost and the Maemo network stack can't detect the disconnection and it still looks like it is connected (even if you check netstat using terminal).

You will receive the Whatsapp update message until the next release.

Well, so.... have you time (and the code) to modify the Maemo network stack? If not, maybe you will get crazy to get a solution for Yappari

But if you could do it, would be great

Next release... ummmm... have I heard group management and per-group disable notifications?

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin, Germany
The thing is that when the connection is REALLY bad (2.5G or less) sometimes the connection is lost and the Maemo network stack can't detect the disconnection and it still looks like it is connected (even if you check netstat using terminal).

You will receive the Whatsapp update message until the next release.
what about using tcp keep alive? you can detect disconnections very quicky changing the socket parameters for keep alive to send just a couple of probes.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/TC...O/#programming

(or man 7 tcp)

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
@Scorpius

I have been using Yappari for a while now and it is working fine, I have noticed some bugs though; when typing in arabic language using the physical keyboard the upper case letters do not register correctly instead it registers the english upper case letter(eg. if I press "shift + M" I should get the letter "ء" instead I get "M" ) I hope this is easy to fix.

also if a group contains an emoji in its name it appears as a square

Thanks a lot for your great work

Thanks for the acknowledgement Scorpious.
Appreciate it & your effort so far.
It was jst a report of an observation
Thing is, I use google chat, fb chat which both use XMPP but don't get this prob. So, thought u might b interested to know.

Jst tried 3G again, battery drained approx 50 pcnt faster... sigh. wish N900 had a 3000mAh slim battery...

kh

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mlwane View Post
also if a group contains an emoji in its name it appears as a square
[ Notwithstanding that I don't see why a group name would include a special Japanese character -- but hey, who am I to judge anyone ] those "emoji" characters are part of the Unicode specification, so there's nothing special Yappari would need to do to show them.

All you need is a font that includes those characters. No idea about which one. My Firefox 14 running on Windows XP also does not show "emoji" characters. I don't expect any built-in font the N900 will do better than that.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2012 @ Hong Kong
I would like to ask Can hit Traditional.

Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, awesomeness, best_client, let_it_die, mumbai_dumbai, read_first_post, whatsapp