Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I am a bit worried about the fact that WP8 OS is still a work in progress. It seems that there are delays around it, and I wonder how buggy it will be. its a major leap from WP7

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I am a bit worried about the fact that WP8 OS is still a work in progress. It seems that there are delays around it, and I wonder how buggy it will be. its a major leap from WP7
Day-by-day the news out of Redmond isn't encouraging...It seems as though the transition to the NT kernel is causing issues...

The problem is not only the delays its causing but the move to NT kernel looks to be adversely affecting performance...The so-called super smoothness of WP7 may give way to lags here and there even with the latest S4 processors and 1GB RAM...

Now being honest, the "super smoothness" was marketed alot so for them to have this issue will kill the platform to a huge extent...

This would really strike off WP8 from many people's wish-list and Nokia will find itself again as the purveyor of imperfect hw+sw combo...

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Day-by-day the news out of Redmond isn't encouraging...It seems as though the transition to the NT kernel is causing issues...

The problem is not only the delays its causing but the move to NT kernel looks to be adversely affecting performance...The so-called super smoothness of WP7 may give way to lags here and there even with the latest S4 processors and 1GB RAM...

Now being honest, the "super smoothness" was marketed alot so for them to have this issue will kill the platform to a huge extent...

This would really strike off WP8 from many people's wish-list and Nokia will find itself again as the purveyor of imperfect hw+sw combo...
Transition to NT kernel? I thought Windows always used the NT kernel?

Well i did hear that for Windows 8 kernel has seen some major upgrades to support ARM processors from what i've seen it was still NT. OR am i wrong? If i'm wrong could someone explain the current situation?

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Transition to NT kernel? I thought Windows always used the NT kernel?

Well i did hear that for Windows 8 kernel has seen some major upgrades to support ARM processors from what i've seen it was still NT. OR am i wrong? If i'm wrong could someone explain the current situation?
WP<8 used WinCE now they are transiting to WinNT...

Actually WP was the same as WM using WinCE as the underlying base...

WinCE though shitty was actually more efficient over resources than WinNT hence their issues...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
WP<8 used WinCE now they are transiting to WinNT...

Actually WP was the same as WM using WinCE as the underlying base...

WinCE though shitty was actually more efficient over resources than WinNT hence their issues...
Ohh I see, but that means that Window phone 8 SO with NT kernel is going to be bloated

Ohh I see, but that means that Window phone 8 SO with NT kernel is going to be bloated
Exactly...Nobody has been picking on this...If you are going to use WinNT granted your performance will improve over CE but resources are going to be used less efficiently and bloatness will remain regardless...

Sometimes I wonder whether M$ think exactly what they are doing...It seems like for them mobile is a division that they are just toying with...

They broke compatibility with WM for WP7 but they used the same WinCE kernel...Now WP8 apps wont run on WP7+ due to WinNT kernel...WTF? just do it once and be done instead of repeated changes...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-18 at 16:04. Reason: typo

BTW, i just noticed Lumiaman got banned again? The title below his user name shows banned even though he's online...

LOL!

Edit: Now it shows him as offline and banned...wonder how long will be the ban be this time long...I'm thinking it must be permanent with his constant bans...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-18 at 16:08.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Windows 8 are ready!

Time for Lumiaman to pick up phone.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Exactly...Nobody has been picking on this...If you are going to use WinNT granted your performance will improve over CE but resources are going to be used less efficiently and bloatness will remain regardless...

Sometimes I wonder whether M$ think exactly what they are doing...It seems like for them mobile is a division that they are just toying with...

They broke compatibility with WM for WP7 but they used the same WinCE kernel...Now WP8 apps wont run on WP7+ due to WinNT kernel...WTF? just do it once and be done instead of repeated changes...
Exactly. That explains where the DX10 support came from. Does not this mean that some of explains that work on Windows will be able to affect the Windows Phone platform?

Exactly. That explains where the DX10 support came from. Does not this mean that some of explains that work on Windows will be able to affect the Windows Phone platform?
M$ is big...The work doesn't get affected easily and from latest rumours they are working overtime on WP but the NT kernel is proving a pain in the a** hence the lack of a SDK till date for WP8... A beta SDK will be released 1-2 weeks before launch whereas for Mango and WP7 proper the full SDK was released a few months before launch...

Tags
ip5 better, lumia 920, sml ecsytm, windows phone 8