Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
*bump* i am still unable to download voices can anyone help me with this?

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
After reading through these threads on Wayfinder (2008 under Diablo), I can declare that I am not impressed!

For all the trouble it's been trying-and-trying-and-trying to download either US map to review for completeness, my time is much too valuable to keep this up--especially at the price that they want for the license.

I bought a TomTom ONE for my wife and it is 100x better than Wayfinder in terms of functionality, ease of use, etc.

I don't think that Wayfinder is worth it even at 1/10th of the price of their license!

UPDATE: I finally got the US West map to download--it took overnight. I had to change the CONNECTION settings to be ALWAYS ON instead of time out after 10 minutes.

QUALITY EVALUTION: I did three lookups on areas that I'm familiar with and found NUMEROUS ERRORS (bad street spelling, wrong street intersections, showing streets as through-streets when in fact they are dead-ends, etc) in THREE TEXAS CITIES (Houston, San Antonio and College Station). The map data that comes with this application is not worth the money.

Their documentation says that they rely on their customers to help them correct the maps. They should change their business model to give substantial discounts to customers based on how many errors they report instead of making them pay great sums of money for poor quality maps.

Last edited by rdcinhou; 2008-07-09 at 11:08.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
After downloading the USA East and USA West maps, Nokia Map could nolonger route from the New England area to Florida. It would make several attemps but decide it was unable to find a route. Also, I am very disappointed in the inability to route between maps.

I had the opportunity to test Nokia Map on a 400 mile trip, and I was very pleased by the interface. I was very impressed by the display of information, the timing of voice prompts, and the speed of recalculating routes. However, the licencing is too expensive when compared to other available products.

I really want commercial grade navigation on my N800, but until the price comes down I will stick with Garmin Mobile XT on my N95-3.

I agree, from what I can gather here I won't be buying a license for the map app. Yesterday, Amazon was selling a far superior gps for $88 shipped free. Even though it would be nice if the N810 could be that all-in-one device for traveling, its still not there yet and the Wayfinder GPS is the show-stopper for me.
I'm seriously considering getting the $88 GPS and downgrading from a N810 to a N800. Combined costs would be similar and overall, the two devices would be more useful.
I like Nokia products, but they need to re-think their business plan. Why did they get into bed with Wayfinder? Why add WiMax when they could have upgraded the memory/processor, hardware for better performance. Nothing is more frustrating then using a device that works halfway.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
eh...just say screw it and use the macchanger hack... serves em right LOL

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
*bump* i am still unable to download voices can anyone help me with this?
for some reason i can't download voices in diablo either, i think it works for the older version of OS and Map... i click on the voice, something flashes and it just hangs there

somehow i got it.

here is Carina du Plessis
http://www.yousendit.com/download/TT...SWV1Yk0wTVE9PQ

unzip and place in \map\navicore\Sounds\sound_eng\Carina du Plessis

Last edited by james.bottomtooth; 2008-07-11 at 05:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to james.bottomtooth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Not all the files on http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer...B/wfnavigator/ had been updated.

I've contacted them, and they now are .

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
ive got the previous version of the map app installed running the updated maps...maps and nav work fine but it isnt letting me download voices...can someone tell me how to fix this or send me the file for carinna du plessis (english accented woman) ????
Thats British, if you want female/American try Sara.

If the map data is saved on Ext2/Ext3 then it has some problems with CaSe SeNsItIvItY. I experienced this today. This solved it:

# cd /media/mmc2/map
# ln -s navicore Navicore

Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Not all the files on http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer...B/wfnavigator/ had been updated.

I've contacted them, and they now are .
So, just to verify before I download the USA map from the website rather than from the Nokia which can take forever; the U.S west map on the Navicore personal download is 718MB's. My 2006.1 map for the U.S West map on the Nokia states 685mbs. The available updated map on the nokia 2008.1 is 726mb's. Is the one on the Navicore website actually updated because the numbers don't match.

Any ideas?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't understand all the complaining about cost. I downloaded the West map and it's great. My total cost outlay: $0. The amount I intend to ever pay: $0. I will mainly rely on Maemo Mapper. Its cost: $0.