Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Skype, Gizmo, Comcast, Bongo, Truphone, Vontage, and everyone else that does a SIP will have to get on board with doing something according to a standard and then take down the ego side that says what they are doing is more profit making than what another is doing.
hmm, SIP. from my limited understanding, SIP is only about setting up a connection between two parties, beyond that there is no single say about what codecs and so on to use ones that connection is in place...

and i dont think skype even uses SIP, but some other homegrown solution...

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) is indeed used to set up the call, it also handles authentication and codec handshakes. The actual call happens over RTP. However, when most people say SIP, they mean SIP/RTP.

Skype uses a proprietary, closed-source, evil(?) codec

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tso View Post
true, i just wonder how the system will deal with customer at voip provider A wants to call customer at provider B and similar.

say, like calling someone on skype, from gizmo...
Genuine idea: use open standards. How about SIP (RFC 3261)?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
true, i just wonder how the system will deal with customer at voip provider A wants to call customer at provider B and similar.

say, like calling someone on skype, from gizmo...
We have dozens of commercial VoIP operators here, including the market leader in voice telephony. It's quite an important market, with most commercial customers switching from POTS to VoIP.

I'm not aware of any standards set by the regulation body, but as they all use SIP, there's no interoperability problem. SIP+RTP+ENUM is a combination that works fine.

So I think this will not be a problem. Skype, of course, is out of this game and will probably be gone sooner or later as they cannot join the real business and rely on "I want voice calls for free"-crowd.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
Jaffa, in the UK Three offer their 1gb "mobile-broadband" package on Pay-as-you-go as an add-on for £10 per month. Or, if you just want mostly web/mail (ie no VOIP, VPN etc...) they're £5 internet add-on gives you 1gb of traffic for 30 days.
Interesting. More info on three.co.uk

T&Cs don't seem to mention any minimum top-up either. So an HSPA version does seem practical in the UK.

Hopefully, there'll be good switching from HSPA -> WLAN when in range of a configured connection - which is currently a big downside of the "Connect automatically to Bluetooth" functionality.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
For me, WiMAX is pretty useless.

I'm very, very happy with this announcement. I don't promise I buy a device unless I paid it (or fronted / partly paid), but I am very much looking forward to this device.

I will use it for SIP, won't need non-data plan. I also know good deals for data plans. Yes, these cost some money, but they give the device so much more power. Non-24/7 connectivity is simply no competition to good smartphones.

Many thanks to Nokia for listening to the community!! Vote with your wallet. I'm sure there will be more devices.

As for PIM, all the NIT needs is some dedication to port one, good PIM application to maemo making it good enough for usage. The NIT isn't meant to be the best device for all its possible usages. The power lies in its wide flexibility (quite related to the FLOSS nature of the bird but dont forget size, weight, low power). PIM however, is software side. From what I read in this news this post is solely about the hardware side. For now, we know little to nothing about the software side...

Originally Posted by pieter_jh View Post
Hmm - I have some mixed feelings. On the one hand I often use the N810 on a plane, and while all the other people have to switch off their phone/pdas and haul out their laptops; I use my N810. (Phones arent allowed to be used on flights in my country, but computers are) The tethering-with-phone approach worked fine, but it meant 2 devices. If the N900 gets cellular, then it better be a great phone as well so it can feed off the 'one device' approach. I'm happy to hear about the faster processors. If they throw in TV (monitor) OI'm probably just about there with not carrying a laptop either. Anyone ever consider the idea of a docking station for the tablets? So I just carry my N900 around and plug it into a dock at the office and home to get big keyboard and screen? Of course I would need a proper word processor and spreadsheet......
My experience is that you have to put all electronic devices off when the plan takes off and lands. Even a DAP. If you know what you're doing, you might not do this, but such rule exists to protect the innocent (read: clueless). Besides that, you must disable all radio (including WLAN, 3G, BlueTooth, ...). The rule is that you have to set the device in offline mode. Incidently, that is why that feature is called offline mode.

hmm, SIP. from my limited understanding, SIP is only about setting up a connection between two parties, beyond that there is no single say about what codecs and so on to use ones that connection is in place...

and i dont think skype even uses SIP, but some other homegrown solution...
SIP is between your software/hardware phone (SIP client) and the SIP server (PBX). Whatever happens from the SIP server (PBX) or the person you're talking to is of no concern to normal end users. For example, I'm able to get attractive prices phoning international using SIP. The other person can reside anywhere in the world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
My experience is that you have to put all electronic devices off when the plan takes off and lands. Even a DAP. If you know what you're doing, you might not do this, but such rule exists to protect the innocent (read: clueless). Besides that, you must disable all radio (including WLAN, 3G, BlueTooth, ...). The rule is that you have to set the device in offline mode. Incidently, that is why that feature is called offline mode.
I hope we don't get further bogged down in semantics on this one.

My experience, at least with American Airlines, is that they are fine with offline as an effective off state. In fact on my last trip I noticed that was inserted into the pre-takeoff spiel.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
don't seem to mention any minimum top-up either
I've not experienced it, and their top-ups don't expire either. I've been using this for about 12 months now, no complaints, I probably put on £20 every 3 months or so. And with it being PAYG, worst case if they cut you off you just go and buy another SIM from them and start all over again.

I tried the mobile broadband, the only thing additional I got that was of use to me was VOIP and that was pretty patchy. I've also streamed from shoutcast and last.fm on the £5 add-on with no problems.

[edit] I've also made several skype-to-skype calls from my n800 over Three, as I have a friend on it. Each top-up gives 30 days of skype-to-skype, so I'm not sure whether it was free because of that or the internet add-on

Last edited by pixelseventy2; 2008-09-17 at 16:24.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I hope we don't get further bogged down in semantics on this one.

My experience, at least with American Airlines, is that they are fine with offline as an effective off state. In fact on my last trip I noticed that was inserted into the pre-takeoff spiel.
"Dear Zir/Ma'am, we're zorry zoo inform you zat you have zoo put your device off. Zis means no Zuspend-To-RAM. Next time, consider to fly business class. Zorry for any inconvencience this may cause."

No warries, ze Dr. Ztrangelove has zpoken

Really, its just there to protect the innocent. If someone doesn't know what offline mode is or how to put a device in this mode, disable the device. If in doubt, axe zit or exit.

all this discussion points to one good thing about what nokia is implementing in the NIT the CHOICE for the end user; 1, tablet with wifi and bluetooth- 2, or tablet with wifi and wimax and bluetooth - 3, tablet with 3G/4G and wifi and bluetooth, well if this is what they are doing then everyone might find his taste but i do not know anything about thier plans though.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Tags
job, n900