Active Topics

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hull, UK
Originally Posted by Chrisboff View Post
This is true for a PDA or a Smartphone. The nokia n900, as with all the nokia tablets, behaves much more like a computer. Modern computers don't usually have a 'hard reset' function built in to restore data from ROM - if there is a problem with it then the last resort is to reformat the drive and re-install the operating system partition. This is similar to reflashing on the nokia n900 it seems.
I would say hard rest and reflash are pretty much the same thing, only hard reset is an auto-mated way of reflashing from an internal ROM. Reflashing is usually used to refer to manually doing it for either the original or a newer release firmware image.

On a lot of modern computers there is a function to fresh install, "reflash" if you will, from a hidden partition image. A way manufacturers can get away without giving you OS install CDs etc.

It's a bit of a pain, that there doesn't seem to be a hard-reset method for the N900, but reflash of the rootfs image, followed by eMMC image, without booting up in between, is an easy enough and sure fire way of creating a clean install, if you can follow instructions.

Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Ok...I finaly got my N900 reflashed....

The updater is not friendly to Win7....even if you put it in XP mode.

I had to switch to my laptop with XP on it....I download the updater from the nokia site, plug in my N900 in PC Suite Mode and started the updater.....

It WORKED ON the first try.
The latest Nokia Software Updater is now Windows 7 compatible and works fine! Just updated to version 3.2010.02.8 firmware with no issues. Download it here: http://europe.nokia.com/support/down...oftware-update (just enter N900 in the box - it says latest firmware is 2.2009.51.1 on that page, but it lies, lol)

Performing a full hard reset on the N900 from the command prompt using Windows and the Maemo Flasher app. is as follows (UK variant file links given):

Get the latest Maemo Flasher from here http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php and install it (currently http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d....5_2.5.2.2.exe)

Get the latest rootfs and eMMC images from here http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php (IMEI required - currently rootfs = http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N...ED_203_ARM.bin and eMMC = http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N...MC_MR0_ARM.bin)

Find the Maemo Flasher app from the Start Menu; right click it and select Run as Administrator.

Type the command: flasher-3.5.exe -F path/to/rootfs_image -f (replace with the appropriate image e.g. the one above) - this will flash the root file system, but won't restart the device - append -R to reboot the device, if you DON'T want to flash the eMMC. It will remove many of the settings, although some settings and contacts etc will remain.

Type the command (optional): flasher-3.5.exe -F /path/to/emmc_image -f -R (replace with the appropriate image e.g. the one above) immediately following the rootfs flash, if you want to flash the eMMC to default - this will remove all additional settings, contacts, calendar, messages etc.

ALWAYS back up all the files in the MyDocs area (which is the part that is mounted when you connect via Mass Storage Mode across USB), for example by copying them to an N900 folder on your computer's desktop.

Additional files can be backed up by installing the OpenSSH server on your N900 using the application manager and then connecting to your device using FileZilla from your computer (or a similar application that supports SSH FTP (SFTP)) and copying over things like /etc/apt/source.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list to keep your catalogue entries.

NB: This also lets you Putty into your phone and play around, which is always good fun and beats hacking away in the terminal app on your phone, BUT should be done with caution if you are unfamiliar with *NIX style systems.

Last edited by gawbul; 2010-04-01 at 22:45.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Okay, I just finished flashing my N900 successfully on Windows 7 64 bit. As recommended, I downloaded the Microsoft Virtual PC and installed the Windows XP Mode. Booted it up, installed the Maemo Flasher there, copied the files to c:\flash and started flashing the eMMC.

At first I encountered the "Waiting for USB Device" problem, although the device was connected in update mode, the software didn't recognize it. I had to click on the top "USB" menu and select the N900 from there, it installed additional drivers, had to reboot the XP mode and start again.

This time I also had to click on the top "USB" menu item, suddenly the flasher found the device and started flashing. After the eMMC was finished, I unplugged the device, entered the command for the firmware and plugged the device back in. Same procedure, had to click on the USB menu item, flasher found the device and started flashing.

Everything is completely back to factory conditions now. I just hope my random crashes will be gone now.

The Virtual PC might not be the best solution, but it is the easiest when you only have other 64 bit machines to choose from.

i know this is alittle off topic but i want to know something. i just bought my phone 2 days ago and it was working fine until today every time i try to update download an app or install a preinstalled app. the bar at the bottom of the screen loads only to half way befor stoping making me maualy cancel it. why is this happening is it a fault in the device....? help would be greatly appreciated !

Sorry to disturb you again but really I need your help.
I have windows Xp system. so I entered the page of downloading flasher. and I downloaded "maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe" on my laptop.
After that I entered the of downloading firmware and I don't know what I should download since there are many items.
is the downloaded "maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe" is the right one? and what I should choose for the firmware?
once you will help me by these questions, i will continue and i will ask you again for any problem i face when i will make reflashing for my N900. ;-) thanks a lot for you.

Dear all,
I made a mistake run following commmands:
mkdir /home/user/usr/sbin
cp -rp /usr/sbin/ /home/user/
cp -rp /usr/bin/ /home/user/
rm -rf /usr/sbin/*
rm -rf /usr/bin/*

Then i was working with my phone that it is restarted!
Now it can't boot.
What do i do?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ United Kingdom
Try reflashing your device by following the first set of steps in this article:

(you will lose your applications and settings unless you did a backup, you won't lose any files on the 32gb partition if you skip the section on "Resetting the Mass Memory")

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ata/m-p/591877

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
What exactly is the "Vanilla eMMC". It has 262 MB.

I just flashed RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin on my N900 to get to PR1.2
Do I have to flash RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin too to have more features...?
Is this a beta firmware? Do I have to install all apps again after flashing the Vanilla image?

Mr. Incredible wrote:
What exactly is the "Vanilla eMMC". It has 262 MB.

I just flashed RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin on my N900 to get to PR1.2
Do I have to flash RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin too to have more features...?
Is this a beta firmware? Do I have to install all apps again after flashing the Vanilla image?
Please careful that if you flash EMMC, you flash 32G storage .This means you remove all data : photo , sms, email , contact & etc.....

Tags
n900, reset