Active Topics

Thanks guys, your posts were very informative
There is just on thing:

First partition as FAT, second one as ext2. You can use fdisk on linux PC and USB card reader to do this (is there fdisk compiled for N770?). As the jffs2 flash filesystem uses compression you need bigger partition on MMC to hold same data. 128MB is too small, at least 256MB is recommended to have similar space as with original flash rootfs.
What size should be the FAT partition? I assume, the 256mb min is according to the ext2 partition...

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by DCr33P View Post
What size should be the FAT partition? I assume, the 256mb min is according to the ext2 partition...

Thanks again.
FAT partition is going to be most, if not all of the space of your card. depending on whether you plan to boot of from that card or not. If you plan to boot off from that card, then I'll say about 512MB-1GB should be devote to ext2 and the rest to FAT. I already used over 700MB on the card, w/ tons of app. That's why people buy large SD card. I bought mine 8GB SDHC for like $70, and it work flowlessly. Just a warning, you can't use SDHC card w/ the stock kernel, at least not yet anyway. The next upgrade will persumably support it, as people are already start using them

Last edited by freeman; 2007-02-20 at 20:16.

Originally Posted by schmots View Post
Anyone doing the ext3 boot?
I think you could, but the modules doesn't exactly work right out of the box, not to mention no body would recommend it. ext3 is basically an ext2 w/ journal support. Well what does journal mean? It mean continuous writing to the storage. This is bad, very very bad for flash base storage.

You can mount ext3 without turning on Journaling. You just need to edit the mount options for the partition. I just wondered if anyone was though.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
I think you could, but the modules doesn't exactly work right out of the box, not to mention no body would recommend it. ext3 is basically an ext2 w/ journal support. Well what does journal mean? It mean continuous writing to the storage. This is bad, very very bad for flash base storage.
Well if fact I did (recommend it).

here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...08&postcount=7
and here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3&postcount=35

And no, it isn't that bad. This continuous writing problem is a myth. There are a bit more writes indeed for metadata journaling but not something significant.

Hmm... I just tried the procedure to boot from SD card.
I used the maemo wiki:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_EAS..._From_MMC_card

and followed exactly these instructions.

The bootmenu consists of:
boot from flash
mmc
mmc2, partition 2, ext2
I get the error : Boot from mmc failed, booting from flash...
when choosing the option "mmc2,partition 2..."

When choosing "mmc" it boots, but boots from flash...
What's wrong?

Some specs:
N800 latest firmware
internal sd card, 2gb
mmcblkp1 ~1.5gb FAT16
mmcblkp2 ~0.5gb ext2
Partitioning done with sfdisk: http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_EAS..._your_MMC_card

I realized that the instructions from the wiki differ from the one at the beginning of this thread. In this thread used:
vi /mnt/initfs/bootmenu.sh

Change the line
GETKEY="evkey -u -t 1000 /dev/input/event1"
to
GETKEY="evkey -u -t 1000 /dev/input/event2"
What's the meaning of these steps?

EDIT:
While partitioning my SD card with sfdisk it asks me whether I want to mark the Fat16 partition as active or not. I chose yes (to mark as active). Was this decision ok?

Last edited by DCr33P; 2007-02-24 at 00:31.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
the evkey entry is only to get the menu KEYS to work, if you can toggle which menu entry to choose evkey is working for you. Partiton info looks right, my guess would be your data was not properly copied.

did you do this?

# apt-get -d install tar
# cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
# mkdir /tar-temp/
# dpkg -x tar*.deb /tar-temp/
# /tar-temp/bin/tar cf - -C /floppy . | /tar-temp/bin/tar xvf - -C /opt

/bin/tar (busybox) will not copy things properly. If it can not boot from mmc it will boot from flash I believe. http://penguinbait.com/tar.gz is the one I use.

hmmm... I've just booted from flash, inserted mbcache.ko, ext2.ko and mounted /dev/mmcblk0p2. The mountpoint is empty, so I can assume that the cloning progress went wrong. I did exactly the same as described on the wiki:
I just pasted(not very famillar with those tar options...):
/tar-temp/bin/tar cf - -C /floppy . | /tar-temp/bin/tar xvf - -C /opt
and before that, of curse:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt ;
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy -o rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000

Yes I did that. Hmmm what can I do now?

EDIT:
I just mounted the card to /opt and initfs to /floppy again to do the try the cloning process again. I checked with df ang got a strange result:

/dev/mmcblk0p2 499014 194165 279085 41% /opt
/dev/mtdblock4 257536 120804 136732 47% /floppy
According to this, there is data on the card. But I can't see it....

du -sh /opt
tells me, there is no data.

Last edited by DCr33P; 2007-02-24 at 01:33.