Notices

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
It is not simply a question of staying organised. All my music is organised. When I got an ipod touch I spent like a month tagging my music and downloading album art from various websites (because the album art view on the ipod touch is so beautiful you just have to have album art). I also went through each and every one of my 4000 songs retagging album artist (before I got an ipod touch I only had song artist tags but I had to do album artist tags to make album cover art flow work better). So my music is so well organised.

I transfer my music to the N900 and everything falls apart. For some reason for many songs it shows album artist rather than song artist. It is totally random. I have tried synching with Windows Media Player, Media Monkey, Winamp, drag & drop. I have tried tagging with those three programmes plus mp3 tag. Nothing makes a difference.
unfortunately there is no standard. If there were an industry standard it would be easy to transfer music and know exactly how it will appear on the device.

ipod/iphone
album artist -> album
title1 - artist1 - albumart
title2 - artist2 - ..

N900
artist / album
title1 - albumart
title2 - ..

I hope you can see the difference and why music tagged for one device will not be sorted by another device as expected. Personally ipod method is better because it involves assigning multiple artists for the same song title which is not available for n900.

In n900, using a software like mp3tag. Use Artist Tag (in place of album artist tag), you can use extended tags for album art but i think you already have that covered so good job on that front.

and thats primarily it. I hope it gets your music organized

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I'll post a diff file over the next few days if anyone wants to play around. It's a working audio player. Videos are sound only at the moment; Nokia didn't bother to send the video to the screen, but that's generally a simple fix when using gstreamer.
I'd be interested, but only from a curiosity perspective as I lack a lot of knowledge.
If you want labels under the buttons, but don't have time to implement something custom, you can steal the Application Manager's HildonFancyButton: http://maemo.gitorious.org/hildon-ap...fancy-button.c
The problem with that: It only shows one label underneath the button, not two like the Media Player's custom widget (*sigh*, Nokia. The clock has its own widget for this and the same with the Media Player and Application Manager. Mauku has its own cloned version. Wouldn't it have been easier to just collaborate efforts and put it in libhildon instead of sticking to closed-source ways? /rant). Easily remedied, though, I assume.

I'd also suggest a Garage project so that people could collaborate but then you'll probably get people ignoring the development status part and asking for feature requests like "P0RtRAIT ModE support so I can jerk off while watching my videos" (of course, people disregarding the fact that it probably wouldn't be able to play videos at that moment in time...).

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-02-11 at 08:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
So, can someone explain, in layman's terms, why the media player is such a resource hog
for the heck of it, i ran a simple test. with only media player running cpu usage to run a music file is around ~20-23 %, when u start a new song cpu went as high as ~50% dopping down to normal range thats by keeping playback instant.

in layman terms, with 256 MB + 768 MB available to n900 u will have to have abt 512+ used somewhere before music stutters starting a song and abt 750MB used somewhere before music playback stutters. good luck with that.

then i ran following apps alongside media player:
calendar, photos, anglometer, angry birds, web, cube, phone, conversations, email

thats 10 apps running including media player. There was no stutter in media playback whatsoever during this time, this also includes starting a song. Then i called my phone while running these apps and call halts the music and came back after call ended. Again nothing. No delay in task-switcher either

I hope this answers what started this thread

--
the game 'Airport' causes some serious delay in task-switcher as it keeps running heavy graphics in switcher mode too.

Last edited by niqbal; 2010-02-11 at 13:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by IWantToMarryTheN900 View Post
And, as someone else pointed out, the media player doesn't pause the music when a phone call comes in - how stupid is that??
The media player *does* pause and resume around a phone call for me. I don't understand why it doesn't for you. I was listening to MP3s ripped to 160k/sec if I remember correctly.

Admittedly it does pause and stutter somewhat during the switchover, but not enough to annoy me or for me even to mention it to someone unless I knew beforehand that they were likely to be irritated by it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabuff View Post
People get frustrated and post their anger because the device does not do as it has been advertised. Rushing the half baked device is the reason for this. Open source is not answer to the woes of the N900. You use open source to enhance the inherent functionality of the device. What Nokia has thrown in the market is a device with unfinished thought and thinking.There was lot of Hype on N900 and lot of people wanted to change from iphone etc to the new device which on paper looked great and lot of people fell for that. However the bar was set high by iphone or similar devices and when they start using N900 , after the initial jubilation of owning a fantastic hardware the realization start sinking in that this device needs 3 to 4 software revs before it can be useful. Some people have patience to wait this out some people do not have and hence the frustration comes out. This device is diamond in rough. IT is upto Nokia and not mameo forum to make this polished device and frankly Nokia's commitment to continue development of symbian and mameo together is really questionable in long term and this period uncertanity will hurt mameo platform more than Symbian.
I am still holding on to N900 for next rev of software and then will decide to keep it or go back to Nexus/Iphone land again. Because if they do not fix the issues mentioned in the mameo forum for N900 then it is pointless to keep this device for just phone function. This is humble opinion.
Thanks for reading.
Actually the N900 was ne of the LEAST hyped Nokia devices ever released. It was almost as if they were purposely keeping it very low key. Advertising was almost nil prior to release.

This has been said so many times before, but if the reason you bought the N900 was to replace an iPhone that you already liked - you were always going to be disappointed. The N900 was in no way aimed at the iPhone crowd.

Finally my whole point in this thread has been that posting the same whining comment over and over and over in new thread after new thread after new thread, does NOTHING to help the situation and just makes you seem like a whiner - which is more than likely exactly what they are.

Personally I will be extremely happy when the "Oooh shiny toy" crowd gets rid of the device and thins out a little. Then the people who are actually serious about making Maemo the most hacker friendly and ultimately user friendly OS available can get down to business without having to explain to whiners what being an early adopter means.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
The media player *does* pause and resume around a phone call for me. I don't understand why it doesn't for you. I was listening to MP3s ripped to 160k/sec if I remember correctly.
I believe it's muted, not paused, which is not the same

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
for the heck of it, i ran a simple test. with only media player running cpu usage to run a music file is around ~20-23 %, when u start a new song cpu went as high as ~50% dopping down to normal range thats by keeping playback instant.

in layman terms, with 256 MB + 768 MB available to n900 u will have to have abt 512+ used somewhere before music stutters starting a song and abt 750MB used somewhere before music playback stutters. good luck with that.
Do you mean that since your CPU isn't maxing out (in your particular case) that you would have to max out your RAM usage for music to stutter (by not being able to buffer)?

I don't have stuttering problems as often since PR1.1 but the stuttering issue in all the cases that I've had is definitely due to CPU spikes. I don't think your test case proves there is no issue. Enough people have stuttering issues to consider that the performance of the media player needs to be improved. There are issues with indexing, video thumbnailing/playback that I'm sure can contribute to the problem. It isn't just "open music player, play song, stuttering audio". I don't think it's just people overloading their device.

@qwerty12

I think you know me well enough by now and understand how I choose to contribute. We're both similar that way and that's enough said for the time being; maybe I'll speak more to that later.

But as far as hacking the mediaplayer, I'm using a Fixed container with Images inside EventBoxes. So I can put stuff wherever, and I've been getting pretty good at manipulating Images and Pixbufs during mouse events. The background is actually a Pixmap that I set as a Drawable's background, and I don't ever have to deal with it again. A major optimization that everyone should be doing. Those two different fonts won't be a problem because I can always put the EventBox inside a VBox with 2 Labels if need be.

But the funniest thing is how they're doing that silly 4-bar frequency graph. It's just a random ordering of a hand full of images! I mean shiit, I already have audio playback/record stuff in Python where I'm using numpy to do an FFT in realtime. Whatever, like I said, no real rocket science going on here. They should just open it up; it would get better so fast.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Actually the N900 was ne of the LEAST hyped Nokia devices ever released. It was almost as if they were purposely keeping it very low key. Advertising was almost nil prior to release.
This may have been true prior to release, but not any more. Every branch of the Carphone Warehouse that I have walked past recently (in the UK) has had at least one N900 poster in the window.

This has been said so many times before, but if the reason you bought the N900 was to replace an iPhone that you already liked - you were always going to be disappointed. The N900 was in no way aimed at the iPhone crowd.

Finally my whole point in this thread has been that posting the same whining comment over and over and over in new thread after new thread after new thread, does NOTHING to help the situation and just makes you seem like a whiner - which is more than likely exactly what they are.

Personally I will be extremely happy when the "Oooh shiny toy" crowd gets rid of the device and thins out a little. Then the people who are actually serious about making Maemo the most hacker friendly and ultimately user friendly OS available can get down to business without having to explain to whiners what being an early adopter means.
Good luck with that. The N900 is being marketed (again, in the UK at least) as an iPhone competitor. And isn't it a bit ridiculous to say that only a particular type of person can use a particular device?

The Following User Says Thank You to tnhh For This Useful Post:

Tags
waiting impatiently