Posts: 21 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Queens, New York
Yes a backport of Maemo 5 would certainly be nice.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Glendale, CA
* I have an N800 and N810
* I'm interested in seeing a full replacement of Diablo on the N810
* I'm willing to contribute development time into a distro (like Mer or MeeGo) or application development (like clones of the stuff that is still closed in Diablo). I'm also willing to provide testing time using my N800.
* If Mer were a full replacement then I could continue to use my N810 as I have and get access to fixes and application improvements that are currently happening in Freemantle/N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to microe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ near Memphis, TN USA
I have an N800 that I use daily to check gmail and the morning news. Mostly I use it to listen to MP3s and internet radio from an NSLU2 over wi-fi. Secondly I use it for voip. Sometimes I use it as a remote control for XBMC. And occasionally I will play a game on it.

The main apps that I use are Xmms, microB, Skype, and Tear. *** Now if I can just find foolproof steps to get openvpn to tunnel into my dd-wrt router. ***

I am interested in using the most useful, robust, and stable software available for the N800. I would like to see Mer become the successor to Diablo.

I'm willing to contribute with testing and documentation. My coding skills are way rusty, but I would be willing to try small tasks as part of a team project.

If nothing else develops, I will be glad to continue using my N800 as long as possible as it is with Diablo.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by moja View Post
...*** Now if I can just find foolproof steps to get openvpn to tunnel into my dd-wrt router. ***
I don't know what kind of info you need but you may want to look at the following and/or start a new thread asking for help.
DD-WRT setup
http://www.geek-pages.com/articles/l...on_dd-wrt.html
Openvpn Applet
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=191461&postcount=1
Viop Tunnel over Vpn
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...521#post447521
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1860#c29

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
I'm still using my 810 daily. It is my cell phone replacement using Dialcentral and The One Ring for calls/sms on the road. I love the IM applications as well.

I would love a replacement OS that can support "fancier/functional" applications. I would most like to see either Mer or an Android port functioning. Mer for the Maemo 5 support, Android cuz I love google and all the available applications! I can not do any coding but love to try out the new software and give feed back

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I am beginning to feel that the only realistic thing users of devices before the N900 can do is go independent. In other words, to a different site. Feel free to disagree with me; I have been wrong many times. But this site is owned by Nokia, which appears to be looking at other things more than N800 compatibility issues So maybe there is already a good independent site out there. I have an N900, so will stay with this site on those issues, but from the point of view of my older devices I just think this increasingly incompatible.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Netherlands
I have an n800 and nokia 6680 for umts access and I'm actually quite pleased with that combo and the capabilities of diablo. I use it for about 3 hours every day.

My main applications are the browser, openssh and openvpn.

I'm a linux/c++ developer and could help on projects which need help, but there is not much that I wish for...

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
* I have a N810 and use it for almost everything all day long: listening music at work (thanks mediabox), browsing with microb and tear (buggy buggy tear :-(), finding where I want to go with maemo mapper, ebook reading, studying with mit opencourseware, GTD (thanks to zim), calculator, PIM, ...
No N900 in the short term, maybe never (screen too small to be a useful replacement for the N810)

* I'm interested to see the community SSU in the sort term (I see it as inmediate), and mer in the long time, but I'm worried about mer because its goal seems to have shifted to the N900.

* I'm willing to contribute at least with testing and bugfixing. Unfortunately I'm very sort of time, but could help with python and bash. I'm very experimented in linux, but I'm from the rpm shore (je je)

Last edited by maacruz; 2010-02-17 at 21:21.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ louisville ky
And you all did see the news about Windows Phone 7 or whatever they're calling it -- it will not support legacy apps.

I am so disgusted with Nokia, and so glad I didn't buy a 900! Think I'll invest in a Palm TX <g>. At least old Palm apps still work.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by bearcat View Post
And you all did see the news about Windows Phone 7 or whatever they're calling it -- it will not support legacy apps.

I am so disgusted with Nokia, and so glad I didn't buy a 900! Think I'll invest in a Palm TX <g>. At least old Palm apps still work.
This thread is not the place to discuss windows phones, palms or your disgust at Nokia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810