Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
How won't it? How won't addressing the scores of bugs not solve the grievances? How wouldn't added functionality not add value to your purchase?
To paraphrase myself: how do you know Harmattan doesn't suck? How do you know it has "added functionality" instead of it being a rewrite of "some" of the Fremantle apps in Qt leaving some of them in the cold in the process (like the RSS reader).

What he's telling you is that instead of blindly wanting something we don't even know what is yet (it might as well be ridden with DRM!) you also keep an eye on whatever can be done to improve the current platform. The road to happiness does not necessarily start with "Discard your current platform".

An IMO the "Fremantle maintenance" is currently being handled much better than the Diablo one. Kudos to the team.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And to disregard the fact that any iteration, service pack, pr update, whatever doesn't benefit from the reported bugs is rather blind.

That is the point I'm making. Any update coming from Nokia has the benefit of knowing what bugs to fix. If it's Harmattan, MeeGo, YoMama... whatever. They can go into the bugfixes, look at what people are having a problem with, fix it. If they want to see what features are considered "missing", they can trawl these forums and pick and choose what they see here.

My point is; none of you have convincing arguments and/or opinions on how an upgrade of any iteration from Nokia should be as unwelcomed as you lot make it seem. If you're so against it, enjoy your phone as it is. Other people have grievances that should all be wrapped up before the N900 is forgotten.

If you find fault in that, my lord... you're just one of the few that's really that damn happy with Maemo 5, flaws and all. Congrats on accepting it as it was delivered.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
On the other side,

Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Ovi Maps with free navigation is set to be available only in Harmattan
If Nokia wants to promote that Qt is "the solution to all your multiplatformness - Symbian, Maemo 5, MeeGo, ... - needs", and not even their own applications are truly multiplatform...

yet another reason for me to believe that this promised commercial multiplatformness is never going to materialize.

I say Ovi Maps is a prime candidate of a well isolated application where the same codebase could easily be shared between platforms -- make them eat their own Qt dogfeed!

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
An IMO the "Fremantle maintenance" is currently being handled much better than the Diablo one. Kudos to the team.
It's only been 3 months.

If you find fault in that, my lord... you're just one of the few that's really that damn happy with Maemo 5, flaws and all. Congrats on accepting it as it was delivered.
No. That's why I yesterday filed bug reports for two fixes that have been made in Harmattan to be backrolled to Fremantle.

If they were to say to me "the only fix is to upgrade to Harmattan potentially removing all the applications you know" I would have never bothered to even file the bug (or filed it "for archival purposes" like what I used to do for Diablo )

Originally Posted by iPHONErules View Post
my point is it CAN multi-task and I think it will happen this summer with 4G.
I really doubt it. So far the iPhone 3.x OS SDK has no real provision for multi-tasking. Apple has shown no interest in allowing vendors the ability to take their apps to a background processes.

On the other side,

If Nokia wants to promote that Qt is "the solution to all your multiplatformness - Symbian, Maemo 5, MeeGo, ... - needs", and not even their own applications are truly multiplatform...

yet another reason for me to believe that this promised commercial multiplatformness is never going to materialize.

I say Ovi Maps is a prime candidate of a well isolated application where the same codebase could easily be shared between platforms -- make them eat their own Qt dogfeed!
You hit the nail on the head. The fact that they can not even promise new OVI maps on N900 shows that they know that the "meego benefits N900 by QT application" crap is indeed crap, but they hope it placates enough customers for now.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
It's only been 3 months.
I know that. So you think those three months have been worse than the N800's first 3 months?

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by Lakenskrekk View Post
So many people are whining about possibly being abandoned by Nokia because they are a company that push progress. These devices don't last forever folks, but while it works it's a great device so enjoy, and trade up to the next invention when it is done. I say thank you Nokia for giving us an open platform like Maemo!
I would thank them when I see OVI Maps 3.0 on Maemo....Ovi maps 1.0 doesn`t cut it!....this is my only criticism.I hate not having navigation, I`ve got lost 2-3 times so far and this is getting frustrating!I need to carry my 5800 with me all the time in the car.

Otherwise, the device is great for me.It does what I want and even more, so hats off to Nokia for that.

I know that. So you think those three months have been worse than the N800's first 3 months?
I skipped from the 770 to the N810. Even though nothing really happened in the first few months of the N800, the first few months of the N810 were rather quiet compared to the nigh-boisterous times surrounding the N900.

In terms of what's happening in the background, you could say that now is better. There's actually some communication. But as it stands... I'd rather stay my opinion and compare apples to apples... 13 months to 13 months.

I didn't have a fear that my N810 was going to be dropped 3 months into it like I would if I had a N900. So to me, now isn't as good for the consumer.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-02-28 at 22:47. Reason: Said N800, meant N810