Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
And my point is that this very same community was formed from users of N900-like devices without a phone (and for half the price, all has to be said). Now try to tell to them that "they could have gotten better computing devices". When they arrange to beat you, be sure to tell them that they could have gotten a mips instead .
I know, I have one of them, the N810. I got it to replace my Palm TX whose screen died. I run the same type of programs on it as I ran on my Palm. If I could have gotten the NanoNote at the time I would not have because I wanted something with WiFi which both the TX and the N810 had. At the time I got the N810 (summer 2009) you could not get a better computing device for the price if you didn't need a phone.

I also paid substantial money for a pocketable PC (OQO) with 3G data connectivity (because you can almost always get a better computing device for a bigger price). I run the same programs on it that I run on my desktop. If the N900 had been available at the time I got the OQO, I would not have gotten it because it was not powerful enough for my needs.

If you can't define the capabilities you are looking for in any piece of hardware, whether it's a phone or a fridge, you may end up making a bad decision.

Last edited by DaveP1; 2010-03-15 at 22:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
It allows you to leave other devices at home, as long as you don't need their full capabilities.
nicely put.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
And my point is that this very same community was formed from users of N900-like devices without a phone (and for half the price, all has to be said). Now try to tell to them that "they could have gotten better computing devices". When they arrange to beat you, be sure to tell them that they could have gotten a mips instead .
Not an exact truth - with N900 a community increase is a tenfold... well more then 2 times.

Originally Posted by cryox92 View Post
The n900 is a fine piece of hardware but its missing a lot of stuff.
May I ask a question - which hardware does N900 miss?

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
If you still think the N900 is a computer, check out a more open, more standard, and significantly cheaper computer that just went on sale for $99. It's the NanoNote which has copyleft hardware, the full Linux Kernel, and the OpenWrt Linux distro.

http://sharism.cc/products/ben-nanonote/

The only thing to recommend the N900 over the NanoNote (or the Viliv) is the phone capabilities and that is the N900's distinguishing feature. Frankly, just as anyone who bought an N900 expecting an iPhone bought the wrong thing, so did anyone who bought the N900 as a mobile computer.

It's a great smartphone. Accept it.
The NanoNOte has a 3" 320x240 screen a extremely shitty processor and 32 MB of ram, you'd be better of using that 100 bucks towards most of the cost of a used n810, I just bought a used n810 wimax for $120. The linux kernel and openwrt is on my linksys router, but I don't think the general public would call it a desktop capable computer.

The Villiv s5 is $600 bucks, not very pocketable and weights almost twice as much a n810(which is the heaviest tablet nokia ever made). the weight would make it pretty taxing to use without a desk, and yet it's form make it not very lap friendly. It also has no physical keyboard. Also this device would get much hotter when in use than any phone or tablet, so one might not like putting it in ones pocket for other reasons than weight and size.

Only the villiv S5 could be called a desktop capable computer as understood by laymen, but I wouldn't really call it mobile, which nowadays means fairly pocketable. Also a cheap netbook would be more useful, I certainly wouldn't want to hold twice the weight of an n810 in my hands for any amount of time, and a netbook is easy to set and use on a lap, which the villiv s5 sucks at. Also I doubt either of the two devices has a sun readable screen.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Not an exact truth - with N900 a community increase is a tenfold... well more then 2 times.

May I ask a question - which hardware does N900 miss?
Its not missing any hardware.The n900 fails in the software departure.When it comes to hardware...the useless front camera?

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
not an exact truth - with n900 a community increase is a tenfold... Well more then 2 times.

May i ask a question - which hardware does n900 miss?
it is missing a time space continuum warp module!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cryox92 View Post
Its not missing any hardware.The n900 fails in the software departure.When it comes to hardware...the useless front camera?
You can use it. For exam there IS a mirror application.

But words "fails in the software departure" can be applied to closed OS - you have no chance w/out manufacturer. If we speak about Linux it is not closed at least it is definitely open on valuable levels. So, it can be said "there is no enough Linux applications for you on N900" but not "N900 fails".

As for the applications selection... you know, it is very individual. As for me I don't care about games and similar stuff, for me N900 is a communication device to communicate with people and computers. At this level it plays very well, not ideal but very well - SSH, VPN, FTP etc + GTALK, Skype, SIP, chat, messaging etc.

The only thing that I miss now - video calls from skype.

Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
it is missing a time space continuum warp module!!!!
It is under hood, you need only software for it

After three solid months of use (and a week-long jump back to my iPhone while waiting on a repair), I am happy to say that I am still very pleased with my N900. The built-in web browser takes care of almost every need I have when it comes to retrieving information, and for things like Twitter and Skype, I have the awesome Conversations app. There are decent solutions for music and video, and there are many viable options for gaming. Quake 3/Openarena, GLTron, DrNokSnes, VGB/VGBA... these are all capable, extensive options. GPodder and Pidgin are other incredibly useful apps, and little gems like BlueMaemo and Conboy make the N900 interesting and increasingly more capable. As users of a full-Linux mobile computer, we have little need for the dime-a-dozen, one-use apps that are so popular on the iPhone.

Also, the N900's hardware capabilities are impressive. Video-out in itself is so seamless... the iPhone or any Android phone on the market can't compete when it comes to the capabilities of the hardware open to the user. The respectable FM Transmitter, the high-capacity flash memory, the high-resolution camera, and the joy-to-use, accurate resistive screen are all reasons to applaud the N900.These reasons make me happy to use the N900 as my main communication device. It does everything I need, and with the coming release of Meego and the new Symbian, compatible apps will be coming in very rapidly.

The N900 continues to captivate and interest me, and it continues to serve my wants and needs for mobile devices. With a healthy future ahead of it coming from both the Maemo user-community and Nokia itself, I don't see how any informed user could be so disheartened or disappointed with the N900.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gamof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by gamof View Post
After three solid months of use (and a week-long jump back to my iPhone while waiting on a repair), I am happy to say that I am still very pleased with my N900. The built-in web browser takes care of almost every need I have when it comes to retrieving information, and for things like Twitter and Skype, I have the awesome Conversations app. There are decent solutions for music and video, and there are many viable options for gaming. Quake 3/Openarena, GLTron, DrNokSnes, VGB/VGBA... these are all capable, extensive options. GPodder and Pidgin are other incredibly useful apps, and little gems like BlueMaemo and Conboy make the N900 interesting and increasingly more capable. As users of a full-Linux mobile computer, we have little need for the dime-a-dozen, one-use apps that are so popular on the iPhone.

Also, the N900's hardware capabilities are impressive. Video-out in itself is so seamless... the iPhone or any Android phone on the market can't compete when it comes to the capabilities of the hardware open to the user. The respectable FM Transmitter, the high-capacity flash memory, the high-resolution camera, and the joy-to-use, accurate resistive screen are all reasons to applaud the N900.These reasons make me happy to use the N900 as my main communication device. It does everything I need, and with the coming release of Meego and the new Symbian, compatible apps will be coming in very rapidly.

The N900 continues to captivate and interest me, and it continues to serve my wants and needs for mobile devices. With a healthy future ahead of it coming from both the Maemo user-community and Nokia itself, I don't see how any informed user could be so disheartened or disappointed with the N900.
Couldn`t say it better!

Tags
bye-bye losers, disappointment, hello freedom, n900 != phone, relax