Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ São Paulo
I have a N800 here. I can say that the boot is nice, not so slow as reported (for me, at least), but also I have random crashes. Calendar doesn't work. I didn't test sound. Can detect wifi networks but when I try to connect in my wpa2, it doesn't connect (I don't know why) also, I see a huge load of packets trough my AP.

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
The wpa2 I think is an android issue. I'm not sure android supports wpa2

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
it appears that nitdroid.com is down...
I tried it and here are my results:

1st try: all went well 4GB SD, could not connect to wifi (not even without encryption), scanned fine, but when tried to add a new wifi connection, UI crashed back to the settings menu.
partitions:
100MB vfat
256MB swap
half the rest ext3
rest ext3

2nd try: boots ok - forgot to remove the rootfs tarball from the root of the 3rd partition - now connects to wifi (even to WPA2!). I guess I had to wait the first boot completely or else it fails to initialize stuff. First time I believe I rebooted it because I thought it had failed.

by the way, if I try to do
Code:
tar xjvvpf rootfs-nitdroid-0.5.0.tar.bz2 /mnt
it fails with
Code:
tar: /mnt: Not found in archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
using archlinux x86_64

Last edited by trschober; 2010-04-19 at 20:21. Reason: now it boots

yea my host was doing dns matenance today. all the mirrors and torrent are back up now or should be , . oops about the tar command,

should be
Code:
tar xjvvpf /path/to/rootfs.tar.bz2
and run from the root of the sd card (/mnt on my pc)

and yes android does whats called 'DexOpt' on first boot (hence why it takes forever) where it optimizes the java binarys for device or something similar.

EDIT: id be more than willing to take requests for features while i work on the sound issue we have currently (anyone know if gstreamer is an app or a subsystem that plays audio

Last edited by dj_steve; 2010-04-19 at 21:04.

what do u mean by requests Has there been any progress in getting the mic and webcam to function. Also is there ever going to be a way to dual boot maemo and android? I'm sure once things are stable it won't be needed but it would still be nice to have the option

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
id be more than willing to take requests for features while i work on the sound issue we have currently (anyone know if gstreamer is an app or a subsystem that plays audio
The biggies for me are...

0. Stability - the sleep bug needs resolving - it's a real bugger to put the thing down for 5 to go to the loo, or get a beer, you come back and the damn thing has gone to sleep!!
1.Email
2.Calendar (including Google sync if poss.)
3. Sound and Video - for video podcasts such as the Phones show, cos they look a little pokey on my Nokia 5230.

Otherwise, it all seems to be pretty sorted now, apart from a bit of polish. I particularly like the twitter and music player applets for the home screen - wanted summat like that for maemo for ages.

Gaz

yes the sleep issue bugs the heck outta me top, doesnt seem to effect it if device is connected to charger though?

im busy compiling a 'modified' android build which has GStreamer integrated instead ofthe standard android opencore multimedia framework, sand gstreamer has a plugin for the dsp chip by defualt. im hoping i may be able to persuade android to pipe its output thrrough gstreamer and therefore get sound

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
yes the sleep issue bugs the heck outta me top, doesnt seem to effect it if device is connected to charger though?
I find that with a charge plugged in, it reboots, rather than just shutting down.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Midlands UK
Hi peeps, been following this thread for a while and would love to boot android from my 8gig SD card.The problems start with me being a complete noob lol, just curious to know if its worth a go with my 900 and if so if there is a noob (no sorry) uber noob guide.Any helps good help, thanx in advance.

the rootfs on here is for the n800/n810 if you look in the previous nitdroid thread bdogg64 posted up a basic rootfs and kernel for n900, i would appreciate someone trying that on a 900 and getting me adb logcat and dmesg output from it so i can see what the status of that kernel and rootfs is so far

edit also im in the irc channel now and will be most of evening. channel is #nitdroid on freenode

Closed Thread

Tags
android, cool stuff, froyo on n900, nitdroid