Active Topics

Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
lma, may be i just havn't seen any of this issues (except ps, of course, but this bug doesn't bother me at all)

Jaco2k
You mean Telescope? It certainly is in Extras catalogue. Try run
Code:
apt-cache policy telescope
and post output here
I still can't see it... refreshed... not with apt-get in terminal neither with app manager. this is the output from your request:

W: Unable to locate package telescope

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Hmm... It seems like you don't have Extras enabled.

Please post also output of these commands:
1. cat /etc/apt/sources.list
2. cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list
3. apt-get update

Last one should be called under root

Hi, all,

Will you install a my patched build of libhildondesktop0 package if it will be the only way for Telescope to manage notifications? Or it will be too bad way?

I would install anything but you need to tell us what are the consequences of doing so. What to be gained and what to be lost.

I will explain.
If you don't know anything about D-Bus, imagine it as communication channel using which one applications can provide named services and respond to requests from other applications.
Hildon-desktop provides D-Bus service named ‘org.freedesktop.Notifications’. This service provides several methods for manupulating notifications.

In theory, D-Bus has ‘eavesdrop’ mode, using which i'm able to monitor activity on bus named ‘org.freedesktop.Notifications’ and resemble notifications behavior. But in practice, Diablo's old version of D-Bus contains proven bug that makes me unable to monitor all the activity (specifically, hildon-desktop's answers). So, i don't think that i can do something working with this way

Another way seems to me more promising. Actually, D-Bus already has the solution for our problem: when service application acquires bus name (e.g. ‘org.freedesktop.Notifications’), it could specify the flag named DBUS_NAME_FLAG_ALLOW_REPLACEMENT. This flag tells D-Bus that this service is allowed to be overriden by other application, if needed. But for some reason (i'm personally think that with no reason) hildon developers did not specified this flag.
I have patched libhildondesktop0 with changing of only single source line: added DBUS_NAME_FLAG_ALLOW_REPLACEMENT. With this flag, Telescope can override hildon-desktop's notifications service and provide the own one. This doesn't have any side effects: if you don't run Telescope, service will be owned by hildon-desktop and notifications will work as before. If Telescope will fail for some reason, service will be given back to hildon-desktop and notifications will continue to work as well.
So, this patch has no negative effects, but will allow us to extend hildon-desktop's functionality.

By the way, we can include in patched hildon-desktop other useful things such as patch for locking home applets and patch for making size of statusbar configurable.

Last edited by Mitrandir; 2010-08-05 at 11:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i suspect that no one at nokia expected (or perhaps wanted, from a liability/warranty standpoint) their users to be mucking about so deep within maemo. End result is a whole host of hardcoded or disabled features, from waht one would expect given the basis its built on.

basically, nokia have been walking the line between full open source, where anyone can play around with (and potentially break) anything, and the traditional canned experience of its previous products. As long as the product have a nokia logo on it, they will want to minimize the areas where people come to them when they have tried something third party and it broke the device.

sadly, nokia never EOL their products, so there is no way to claim that they have dropped all support for something and so should be legally free to allow us access. This on top of their closed sourced elements thats vital to the continued functioning of the device (like MCE that apparently handles all things power, and could potentially allow a battery to overcharge and "blow up").

Last edited by tso; 2010-08-05 at 11:36.

You are being to hard on the espoo butchers. They just didn't expect anyone wanting to change that. The less features you enable, the less bugs you will encounter.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Hehe, indeed. I should try to adhere more to "do not proscribe to malice what can be proscribed to ignorance".

Okay, okay, i didn't want to say they intentionally made our lives harder.
But my own habit is to write code as liberally as it possible and if i see in API some flag named ALLOW_SOMEBODY_ELSE_TO_DO_SOMETHING i'll certainly will use it.
I know, commercial development is all about another habits