Active Topics

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
According to what's been said, what incentive might Nokia have for releasing Media Player? None whatsoever.
How about, "not pissing off your developer community"? Maybe this is something that is hard to get across in the boardroom, but if there are bugs or missing features in a Nokia app, and people willing to go through the source-code and fix them (at no cost to Nokia), why not release the source?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
if there are bugs or missing features in a Nokia app, and people willing to go through the source-code and fix them (at no cost to Nokia), why not release the source?
Simply? Because releasing it is not of zero cost.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Maemo Hacker's Lament

It's a gray Fall morning in Southern California
Yet I can already see the promise of April
It's just how it is down here
They say there's magic where waves crash near 30 degrees
It's just how it is down here

And there sits my n900
It too shows April promise, and December promise as well
But so much is locked, and there's so little time...
Oh, the code I've written that will fade like memories
Code that poked and mimicked hard shells of binaries closed

Frolicking in Maemo brings so much joy
Yet wandering in abandoned fields hints of happiness lost
I'm pulled to where the waters still run
Gentle streams with soft rapids that fill the silence with calm
This is where I can be found

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Nokia has been quite consistent at telling that it has no interest opening its user experience layer - which includes the Nokia proprietary apps. It's their investment and their decision.

Taking the media player as an example, if you are interested in community engagement then please consider contributing to the MeeGo media player(s) of the Handset UX or established free software projects based on Qt like Amarok. See http://jefferai.org/2010/05/amarok-m...the-beginning/ & http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...martphone.html
All you said before looks to me like cloud, that on first sight you can see it, but when u try to touch it - you understand it's just an air. you again and again telling about Nokia's contributes in open-source, but i don't think there was any contribution that nokia actually made "for free", there was always profit.

we never get straight answers and only thing i see as opensource is nokia using devs to get free application and involving them in developing, how is it possible that even Ovi suit that is made with qt(if i'm not wrong) is not ported to linux(yes that's the opensource spirit)

i can get unpleasant answers like "yes we don't care about maemo", "we don't want to provide u any flash and adv on maemo5 off site about browsing with flash is lie", "we wouldn't fix bugs: media player, cpu usage, sms bug, music playing after calls" as we don't care... i can get it as straight answers, but not that blah-blah-blah nothing... seriously.

i'm not a dev but i reported as many bugs as i could in different kinds of programs and drivers, but when i report bug here and i get feeling like they even don't believe me and just don't even prove it and when i see no work on it.... well you can keep your media players closed, you can use any exuces and try to stay clean and supporting costumers, but time will show, and now you running from sinking ship(maemo) to meego, leaving all people on board(the captain must leave the last one), next time people wouldn't buy it, and a lot of people wouldn't buy it already. and it's not about geeky phone and small computer and parts, it's all about support. when support is great any phone or other thing would be awesome, because it's the way to get people to trust in you. and till you only promise and you talk about how would be meego awesome(reminds me of maemo talking), android and iphone not waiting for you, even win7 is out, while u even didn't finish maemo.
yes android is not that open adn is not that linux, but support of it, damn i like the phones only cause of support, how nexus1 still gets the first updates and how it's promoted, so every site (facebook, twitter, engadged and so on) and as well every services (maps, translators, music recognizers and many others) wants to have their own official application and not people trying to code it when they have to bypass all difficulties with closed code.

and what we see? we see on one hand all those innovations from nokia labs, cool apps (shazam was contributed by nokia? what about swype?) and we don't get them, it's only blah-blah-blah. and on other hand we see all those bugfixes and patches community sent and got no response/update. cause noone give a damn, as it's not profitable anymore, you already got your money.

motorolla once was one of the greats communication company but with time their phone got shitty and slowly people lost their trust and if not that droid phone with android (where support and demands are coming from google) they would be over by now.

now i trust meego little bit more as intel involved, but still why would i like meego if all i hear is openness and free code, linux and so on, but the truth is that what ? opensource is not about code only, it's about how it's promoted, how the things done, how people are involved and how their opinion is considered. you can use linux for any profit you can(actually u do it that way), but if you don't follow some certain "rules" of open-source - it's not the linux phone, it's phone that "uses" linux.
and all the good i saw in maemo is only apps that were written by users for users, cause that's the linux way — "i need this app and i'll write it, but also i can share with other people, maybe they can find some use of it(fmms e.g.)..

i have more to say, and maybe u can tell me naive and stupid, that i believes in those things, but also i believe that evolution and development is based on community and not one man(one company, or company chiefs). you can't go far away alone - you just wouldn't survive.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by stenny View Post
There is literally no possible business advantage nokia can be getting out of keeping it locked down.
There is also the argument that Nokia prefers to encourage contributions around the frameworks currently in development rather than encourage contributions (by opening the source code) around the frameworks that the Nokia software strategy is not interested in pushing anymore.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
How about, "not pissing off your developer community"?
The developer community can contribute to community projects under development with a good chance to become a top notch media player, a top notch calendar, etc. The frameworks and APIs are all there - I would argue that the candidates as well.

You have the KDE mobile developers, the Qt Quick app developers, the Python+Qt developers, the traditional Qt developers, the new MeeGo... all of them with interesting projects in the hands and looking for contributions. Is there any reason in the N900 hardware and the Maemo 5 software to stop that coolness? Honestly, I don't see it.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
The way I see it, the best thing right now would be a rewrite of the stock apps, it takes time, but it's the only way go FOSS here :/
If you start such a project, please, please seperate the Video and the Audio in seperate applications. This would help a lot in such underrated stuff like multitasking. (pause your audio book to simply watch a small video you got per eMail and continue your audio book afterwards - at the moment you're forced to move hand over hand thru the menus to find your track again)

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Here's a start (in Qt), hopefully, this project won't die, I'll open a gitorious page soon (it's currently a UI only) :|
I'm not a programmer. But perhaps you could point me the way to the correct place to discuss this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
There is also the argument that Nokia prefers to encourage contributions around the frameworks currently in development rather than encourage contributions (by opening the source code) around the frameworks that the Nokia software strategy is not interested in pushing anymore.
I'm not sure if that argument is working (hint: my last post), if "plans" haven't changed, 5 users should be focusing on the mediaplayer Qt implementation.

UI part is going nicely.

Gitorious page: http://gitorious.org/qt-mediaplayer/mediaplayer

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:

The developer community can contribute to community projects under development with a good chance to become a top notch media player, a top notch calendar, etc. The frameworks and APIs are all there - I would argue that the candidates as well.

You have the KDE mobile developers, the Qt Quick app developers, the Python+Qt developers, the traditional Qt developers, the new MeeGo... all of them with interesting projects in the hands and looking for contributions. Is there any reason in the N900 hardware and the Maemo 5 software to stop that coolness? Honestly, I don't see it.
Well yes I agree that there are projects that will be part of the vanilla Meego release that we could (and thinking about it, really should) contribute to, but it's unclear how long it will be before there's a day-to-day usable N900 image (no disrespect to Stskeeps and the rest of the meego-arm gang, I know how hard it is to get these things working and am sorry I don't have the time to get involved)

It's hard working (in terms of motivation) on something that you can't actually test and use.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
From https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10312 ([Bug 10312] Video calls with Skype does not work)

Marcin Juszkiewicz <maemo@haerwu.biz> changed:

What |Removed |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Status|NEW |RESOLVED
Resolution| |WONTFIX

--- Comment #18 from Marcin Juszkiewicz <maemo@haerwu.biz> 2010-12-08 18:36:21 EET ---
Nokia ended supporting Maemo5 and this application source code is not
available. No one will fix it so I close bug.
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
This is the post from the Instinctiv developer is case anybody as missed it:-

Last week we spoke with Nokia. We were actively discouraged from developing for Maemo any further. There are lots of things we love about Maemo, including an awesome user community so we're disappointed to see it EOL'd . It's frustrating to have put so much effort into an app only to see the platform it's on be terminated . Whether we reappear on MeeGo -- the successor to Maemo -- depends in part on Nokia. In the mean time, our conversation with Nokia has led us to deprioritize the update we were working on, though no final decision has been made yet as to whether or not it'll ship. I'll keep you posted

It now looks like the end for meamo, so much for all those Qt apps being ported to the OS. It looks lk,e we just have to hope the Meego developers get a decent OS running for the N900, otherwise interest in it will disappear as soon as a meego handset appears.
so qqil, what would u say now, especially about We were actively discouraged from developing for Maemo any further

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
there is only on thing i would really like to see, and that is a way to get a fixed js engine into the M4 microb build...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post: