Originally Posted by rafpac View Post
...so friends it has been a great ride but today I lay down my N9 and turn it off permanently (sigh).
If you are serious about turning it off for good, please send me your N9. I have some ideas for apps, but no desire to daily use a phone without a hardware keyboard so I refuse to pay money for an N9. I've stuck with my n900. If the n950 was available I would have purchased it in a heart beat and been working on apps this whole time.

btw, I think you make some good points, and I agree with Gerbick, you have handled the flames very well.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
In the battle of multitasking:

1st - Symbian 60 & linux (maemo, meego, etc)
2nd - Android, iOS, WP, Bada.

You will notice their are only two tiers here. The first can multitask, the second cannot.

Anyone who claims the contrary has LITERALLY NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
I'm not sure if your outburst is sarcastic or not, but anyway.

Bada 2.0 can multitask like the best of them http://developer.bada.com/help/index...ng_in_bada.htm

And why Symbian 60? Symbian^3, Anna and Belle have better multitasking, better memory handling, particularly in Belle.

This site is littered with nonsense like this. Poorly camouflaged fanboyism is what it is. But I guess that has been covered in another thread. The multitasking in ICS is unarguably not as good as Maemo/Symbian/Bada - but - multitasking is not always a good thing. ICS tries to find a balance, and doing that is good engineering. That balance may not be correct for everyone, but neither is "full" multitasking.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
multitasking makes phone actually a smartphone. why do i give 200 usd extra then? i can get some awesome looking nokia/lg/samsung and be happy, right?
multitasking means: "do *multi* *tasks* at same time" <-> browse web and talk on phone at same time or, listen to music and talk on phone...yes, it is possible i did it with E7. that's multitasking...and symbian devices have good battery life because symbian devs wrote "tasking feature" properly.
android on other hand don't really run multitasking, but some sort of that it does. android takes snapshot and keeps it in ram, so that when you start app again it will load faster and it will eventually be "on same position where you closed it" but app it self don't run all the time unless it's registered as service and service types off apps don't work exactly as normal apps so, it is yet another story.
however, i saw some SoE walkman phones with all features you need, so, why did you bothered to buy N9 instead of SoE walkman...you would be able to put music in background and to "browse web"...
so, this is reason why i assume that you didn't knew what you bought. am i right?
i was just stating my opinion, and i was mostly pointing towards android. ive never used symbian actually so i wasnt talking about that OS at all. just harmattan, android and wp7.

i edited my post right after i posted that so id re read it, i stated that harmattan has the best multitasking ive used.

i didnt know what i bought? huh? lol, not like i was agreeing with the OP, i love my n9 i wouldnt trade it for any other phone. so dont get what you're saying.

harmattan has true multitasking AND great battery life, the n9 has the best battery life out of any phone ive used. android has mutlitasking as well, but the batterylife is complete crap from what ive experianced. and tons of other people, even with way bigger batterys than the n9. that was pretty much my point. not really hating, android has its advantages as well, but arent of any use for me. thats just my opinion, i wasnt speaking for anybody else, since im sure android would be a better os for some others. like people who want 200,000 fart apps/flash light apps, etc

Last edited by stratax; 2012-06-04 at 21:16.

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by stratax View Post
i was just stating my opinion, and i was mostly pointing towards android. ive never used symbian actually so i wasnt talking about that OS at all. just harmattan, android and wp7.
i edited my post right after i posted that so id re read it, i stated that harmattan has the best multitasking ive used.
sorry, really didn't saw that you edited your post nor that you wasn't talking about symbian.
i didnt know what i bought? huh? lol, not like i was agreeing with the OP, i love my n9 i wouldnt trade it for any other phone. so dont get what you're saying.
"the only thing id want to stay open is music. i think wp7 has some of the best multitasking, it just pauses the apps" << there's option to kill process...on most of multitasking platforms, that will keep battery life longer
harmattan has true multitasking AND great battery life, the n9 has the best battery life out of any phone ive used. android has mutlitasking as well, but the batterylife is complete crap from what ive experianced. and tons of other people, even with way bigger batterys than the n9. that was pretty much my point. not really hating, android has its advantages as well, but arent of any use for me. thats just my opinion, i wasnt speaking for anybody else, since im sure android would be a better os for some others. like people who want 200,000 fart apps/flash light apps, etc
<<< clap for that, i must totally agree
fart apps are exactly what i hate about QT, QT have potential to bring that apps to great platforms and it sucks...

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by specc View Post
This site is littered with nonsense like this. Poorly camouflaged fanboyism is what it is. But I guess that has been covered in another thread. The multitasking in ICS is unarguably not as good as Maemo/Symbian/Bada - but - multitasking is not always a good thing. ICS tries to find a balance, and doing that is good engineering. That balance may not be correct for everyone, but neither is "full" multitasking.
Thank you, it's good to see I'm not the only one annoyed by this.

Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
sorry, really didn't saw that you edited your post nor that you wasn't talking about symbian.

"the only thing id want to stay open is music. i think wp7 has some of the best multitasking, it just pauses the apps" << there's option to kill process...on most of multitasking platforms, that will keep battery life longer
<<< clap for that, i must totally agree
fart apps are exactly what i hate about QT, QT have potential to bring that apps to great platforms and it sucks...
Yeah, i never really got the chance to try symbian, by the time i was into the smartphone market symbian phone were way too expensive to buy here in the US. still, the n8 is still pretty high priced for its age. other than that i would have boughten one. hopefully they dont kill the OS, id like to try it someday.

one thing that ive always wanted on multitasking though is keeping a youtube video open while other things/reading email (not a actually video, but music, so i dont have to download it). that would be "true multitasking". imo, and just badass

the apps on the n9 arent really even as bad as some people say, some just need updated and maybe a few more "useless" apps like netflix (i dont use anyways), and some others. most stuff you can do on the web browser anyways, like facebook, twitter, rss, etc etc. so i dont see why so many people complain about the apps xD maybe its just me, but when i had my HTC Amaze i had like 10 games (deadspace, GTA 3, etc) and i literally opened them once and got bored.. im still interested in what google has to bring in the next update though

Last edited by stratax; 2012-06-04 at 21:46.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I totally agree with the poster. N9 was a half baked OS, instead of building on the N900, it came with so many missing goodies that N900 had. It's failure has nothing to do with Elop. All it has to do is with inadequate planning and execution

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
why are you here? Close this thread please, troller is near, lol

im sure android would be a better os for some others. like people who want 200,000 fart apps/flash light apps, etc
Can you please remind me what was the winning app on the Qt Innovate competition?

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
why are you here? Close this thread please, troller is near, lol
Yes, Lumiaman is a proper troll.

But I don't consider you better with your one line fanboy replies... Had to say it!

Tags
disappointment, lack of apps, specc=ericsson, tizen is savior