Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think Android is Plan A.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
PR 1.3 gets released and now this? REALLY?!?!

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
I wouldn't put much faith in GSMArena dong anything more than adding speculation to the original story.
the Finnish article I read said he was very cagey about giving any answer when pressed on the topic.
I'd like to see GSMArena post a link to the section of the interview....

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Listen up children. Case is closed. Android is Plan B:

Nokia Plan B

I mean, it's obvious. There are no other alternatives.

Update: original source apparently. Maybe some Fins can translate for us?
Android is NOT plan B according to Siilasmaa. Reporter asks what Nokia will do if Windows Phone fails and Siilasmaa responds that they have plan B like every good company has for every situation. Before that Siilasmaa said that they carefully evaluated Nokia's own operating system, WP7 and Android and after months of research they landed on WP7 because Samsung was already the king of Android phones. He never says exactly what the plan B is (which is understandable IMO).

That's my quick and overall translation from the video.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mixu For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The facts are that besides ios and android, there is only windows left to jump on. Nokia wants to be known as the windows phone, just like Samsung is known as the android phone. Makes business sense. Meego and symbian can not compete with the big boys. In UK, operators don't want 808 because it's Symbian. Nokia made the right decision out of all the bad choices they had.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nokia was toast long before Elop. When the iPhone came, and later Android, the Nokia "body" gave up. Only OPK and some other high ranking stupidity actually believed Nokia could compete. Nokia should have gone Android when everybody else did
If you have some supporting evidence share it with us.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
On one of their "Five Businesses"
Nokia needs to step up its location based services in the US, even on the LUMIA/WP7. I think the rest of the world they do fine. Maps here are outdated and POIs merely a quarter of what Google reports.

Last edited by balisingh; 2012-07-03 at 18:09.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
The facts are that besides ios and android, there is only windows left to jump on. Nokia wants to be known as the windows phone, just like Samsung is known as the android phone. Makes business sense. Meego and symbian can not compete with the big boys. In UK, operators don't want 808 because it's Symbian. Nokia made the right decision out of all the bad choices they had.
The UK carriers don't want an unsupported OS, that's why they dropped Symbian as soon as Elop made his announcement in Feb 2011 and it's why they wont offer it now.

The way you try to turn it upside down is ridiculous, in January 2011 every UK carrier was offering Symbian phones.

I've read T-Mobile in Germany have now dropped WP7, I wouldn't be surprised to see UK carriers follow suit there too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Atleast they should have looked at the competitions and said, " the symbian doesnt provide the same User Experience as other flagships, we need to fix it now"
Apple got AT&T what Nokia couldnt, mass consumption of Cellular DATA.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Nokia was toast long before Elop. When the iPhone came, and later Android, the Nokia "body" gave up. Only OPK and some other high ranking stupidity actually believed Nokia could compete. Nokia should have gone Android when everybody else did.

As it happends, Android is soon spread so thin due to fragmentation, it is no longer sustainable. But Android and Maemo would be a fine combination.
lol
10chars