Poll: Do you agree to a foundation with a board of EU residents only, based in the EU, e.g. Germany?
Poll Options
Do you agree to a foundation with a board of EU residents only, based in the EU, e.g. Germany?

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Here's a diagramm that should represent the whole fundamental structure of the e.V.:

Everybody able to vote for a body is also qualified as a candidate for said body as long as he meets requirements (karma++). These requirements are now easier to adjust.

Some info on the kickoff-meeting and how a new council will be instated:
- Founders accept the bylaws and general regulations, then vote for 3 directors and 5 councilors.
- Directors accept board regulations and appoint chair, secretary and treasurer.
- Councilors appoint chair and secretary.
If nothing else, that was it.

The new bylaws basically adopt the parts that handle council elections (some edits done to 11) + 12) of today's election regulations. Nevertheless, it is legitimate to instate this body by an election held in the founding meeting as a stopgap-solution until regular elections can be held. This may as well be done later on in a regular election, but would result in a situation where we don't have a council in place. Since holding an election takes 5 weeks at least, we are aiming to fill these positions by founders and plan to hold regular elections in the usual intervall, which AFAIK would be june, at latest. We hope this is an acceptable way for community to handle this issue for the period of transition.

It will be possible for a single member to hold positions in two or more bodys, so a member can be director and councilor at the same time. Unfortunately, only chemist and juiceme are willing to continue their position as councilors, so we need at least 2 more (assuming nieldk would as well accept as councilor).

The kickoff-meeting can be held as soon as everybody involved had the chance to look into the bylaws. The date is highly dependant on the availability of the english translation. We hope to get this done by community in order to keep expenses low. So if you're able to understand both, english and german, join the party:
Satzung/Bylaws: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/AMabik4zeD
Vereinsordnung/General Regulations: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/imtFYfpUKK
Vorstands-Geschäftsordnung/Board Regulations: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/uwQXMscA2n

For the kickoff-meeting, end of next week or tuesday, march 11 seems more realistic. The date will be set as soon as at least 7 founders incl. 3 directors and 5 councilors are found and agreed upon it.
Interested? - Join the club!
Current Maemo Community Council member

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
7 Founders? I what is a founder in this particular case? regular community members?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
7 Founders? I what is a founder in this particular case? regular community members?
Dave, look at the diagram again. Where do you see "regular community members"? Stick to the terminology used and get your question right (seems a verb is missing too) and you should be able to get the answer yourself. If still not the case, post your rephrased question again and I might have an answer for you.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Should I be worried? Is this some elite project for "some members"?
I see reguolar mamber, associated mamber and don't like the smell of it.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Should I be worried?
Definitely!

Is this some elite project for "some members"?
No, every associated member can become regular member, in the kickoff meeting or later.

reguolar mamber
REALLY?

Some more info on the proceeding:
At least 7 contractually capable EU residents or citizens are required to sign the bylaws by hand and to vote for board and council. While the kickoff meeting is not limited to 7, we want to focus on the directors and councilors, since these are the crucial members. And of course we want to make sure to have a clean, disciplined meeting that concentrates on the nescessary steps which will be noted and published later in the meeting minutes.

If more than 7 people are attending the meeting, still only 7 will sign the bylaws in order to keep logistical efforts low. But everybody attending the meeting (the first General Assembly) will be a founder and therefore automatically be the first regular members. Later on, when the e.V. is operable, associated members can apply for regular membership, which will be granted by the board. Unless you're a serial thread derailer, there's no reason why board wouldn't do so.

For the councilors, we're aiming to fill positions by people fulfilling todays' and future requirements (Karma 100+), but that's not an obligation for the transition period. For the next council elections the usual requirements are in effect. Candidates for council don't have to be regular members. If they got elected, they are free to stay associated member or become a regular member.

For the next board elections, candidates have to be regular members.

If still anything should be unclear or you have any concerns, please holler.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Low and myself did try to translate the articles - someone native should read over it again! https://etherpad.mozilla.org/AMabik4zeD

Dave, don't pull your hair on that - the founding process is one thing, after that anyone being a passive member (registered to maemo.org) can apply for active membership. There was the need to keep it split as we cannot file all maemo.org accounts as active members by default.
What changes in the basics is that the board will not be elected by all maemo.org members with enough karma but by all active members of the association.
That way, who wants to get involved with association duties can join it, who does not want to can still take part in electing the Council.

Afaik the only limitations we have with this is that Directors need to be EU residents. But as the Board is ment to serve the community as legal representative and our legal issues reside in the EU this is probably not that a big issue anyways.

Last edited by chemist; 2014-03-04 at 11:46.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
chemist and myself did try to translate the General Regulations - someone native should read over it again:
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/imtFYfpUKK

Now only the Board Regulations need translation:
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/uwQXMscA2n

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
All done! I am done as well!

I translated the Boards' Internal Regulations within the last couple of hours. All three documents are now translated by Germans to readable English but we as not being native might put some phrases the wrong way round. Please read through and correct as applicable (don't delete, only strike pls).

Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I have reviewed the english translations.
I have no legal background so I cannot comment on that aspect, but the language of the regulations is OK.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: