Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dared View Post
I sent am email to Elop regarding future updates for the N9 and got this reply:

"I am pleased to confirm that we will continue to support N9. We will be putting out another SW release and even after that there will be support as needed.

Best regards,
Jyrki Rosenberg
Head of MeeGo"
You emailed Elop but Jyrki responded? This feedback from them is very open to interpretation...
All we can get from it is that PR1.3 is (maybe) coming very soon, beyond that is something similar to what the N900 experienced.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-06-30 at 13:04. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
did the n900 get treated like the n9? barely any updates, etc? just wondering

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by stratax View Post
Can you please define "barely" any updates?
I'd suggest to you that, like most handsets these days, the N900 (and the N9 so far) has received as many updates as is deemed appropriate for the device life cycle, and in real terms, more than many devices, including many android handsets.
Neither the N900 or the N9 are based on an OS that was created with a guaranteed development update cycle like android, and we have been fortunate, as end users to receive the type of support that we've already had, due in part to the efforts of the many enthusiasts within Nokia who have put so much hard work into Maemo and the N9.
The expectation of so many that Nokia has some moral obligation to provide 6 (or even 3!) monthly firmware updates seems to me, more a reflection of the age/lack of maturity of some users on this forum, than a real and pragmatic understanding that, (for now) nokia has pushed all Linux based OS development to the back shelf in favour of their WP smartphone strategy.
Given the nature of the device and the market segment that has the most interest in it, either as an evolution of previous Maemo NIT's or due to it's linux underpinnings, I would be astounded to think that ANYONE bought the N9, not fully cognizant of the fact that it was announced as a dead platform even before it was released....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I just bought a playbook for 200eur and it was released 2010 still its buggy os. Infact n9 is not that buggy. So what is my point. Well just saying every damn devices has bugs.

If nokia where smart they released a 7" tablet todays harmattan version and I am sure it is more stable. I could care less if it was only pr1.3 and no upgrades.

Hell it could be increduble geek device. But nokia wants to fail so it will. For sure never happen.

Btw. I know playbook is also doomed...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I just bought a playbook for 200eur and it was released 2010 still its buggy os. Infact n9 is not that buggy. So what is my point. Well just saying every damn devices has bugs.

If nokia where smart they released a 7" tablet todays harmattan version and I am sure it is more stable. I could care less if it was only pr1.3 and no upgrades.

Hell it could be increduble geek device. But nokia wants to fail so it will. For sure never happen.

Btw. I know playbook is also doomed...
So you are suggestion that nokia release a geek device with few or no upgrades? and call that a smart move? nokia need the most basic user to get their devices. Not sell one device to a one man Qt troll army

I think PR 1.3 is about 2 weeks away.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
N900 was a more experimental device ("Step 5 of 6"), N9 started out looking quite different (mass market/consumer focussed etc).
But ultimately I think it's going to be quite similar with regards to updates etc.
N9 may get one or two more "substantial" (not major) updates than what the N900 got.

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Can you please define "barely" any updates?
I'd suggest to you that, like most handsets these days, the N900 (and the N9 so far) has received as many updates as is deemed appropriate for the device life cycle, and in real terms, more than many devices, including many android handsets.
Neither the N900 or the N9 are based on an OS that was created with a guaranteed development update cycle like android, and we have been fortunate, as end users to receive the type of support that we've already had, due in part to the efforts of the many enthusiasts within Nokia who have put so much hard work into Maemo and the N9.
The expectation of so many that Nokia has some moral obligation to provide 6 (or even 3!) monthly firmware updates seems to me, more a reflection of the age/lack of maturity of some users on this forum, than a real and pragmatic understanding that, (for now) nokia has pushed all Linux based OS development to the back shelf in favour of their WP smartphone strategy.
Given the nature of the device and the market segment that has the most interest in it, either as an evolution of previous Maemo NIT's or due to it's linux underpinnings, I would be astounded to think that ANYONE bought the N9, not fully cognizant of the fact that it was announced as a dead platform even before it was released....
i meant barely any updates as in releases, not updates as in bug fixes. like pr1.0, pr1.1, pr1.2, thats three. im not talking about the "releases/bug fixes" within those updates. i know pr1.2 had a ton of updates within it.

my question had nothing to do with the N9 though. simply wondering about the n900 since ive seen some people compare the n9 with it when it comes to updates. i didnt feel like googling it since the phones been around for a long time and most threads about it are in 2008/2009 lol.

i bought my N9 because i like to not be like everyone else lol (iphone, android). and you never see people in the US with a Nokia smartphone, well until people start picking up on the lumia series, still never even seen a lumia phone in my life, or even held one. i was aware or the lack up apps and everything, but that isnt a huge deal for me. like i said above though, my post wasnt about the N9, nor was i complaining like most people. lol, i actually bought my phone around two months ago, i havent had it that long. i did a LOT of research before i bought it as well, since i paid $360 for it -_-

edit: i saw Noahs review from Phonedog a long time ago on the n900 and he kept going on about how the phone was NOT for consumers in any way, but he loved the phone. i think the n9 is/could have been for both consumers and devs.

Last edited by stratax; 2012-06-30 at 18:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to stratax For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
what is "nolo"?
You mean it's not Nokia Only Lives Once?!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
i meant barely any updates as in releases, not updates as in bug fixes. like pr1.0, pr1.1, pr1.2, thats three. im not talking about the "releases/bug fixes" within those updates. i know pr1.2 had a ton of updates within it.
What are you talking about?

There's only been around 5-6 Android releases over its popular life and hardly any device got more then 2!

There's been a few iOS updates but the major ones iOS4 - iOS5 always cut support completely to some older devices OR allow them to run with certain important features disabled..

We are probably gonna get 3 releases within a year! That's more then any other phone!

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You mean it's not Nokia Only Lives Once?!
*Lived

10chars

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Tags
bugfix-focused, dashed hopes, nokia fanbois, popcorn, pr1.3, pr1.3 party, troll alert