Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Remember when the PS3 first came out and the pricing around that? Remember when the PSP first came out and the pricing around that? Remember when they released the Vaio X series and the pricing around that?

Seriously... Sony pushes the upper limit of pricing in almost all scenarios.

Apple is notoriously bad, worse if in Europe.
The Vaio I don't know about but wasn't the PS3 and PSP sold at a huge loss? How can it be pushing the upper limit of pricing?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Here is one of the reasons Nokia, and Google and Apple, is trying to kill adobe flash and push HTML5 forward.
That's fine. Adobe is already planning a HTML5 tool or three whereas Apple has none - Apple Gianduia is more framework than tool and jQuery stomps on it.

Flash has a set of uses. HTML5 has a set of uses. They overlap. That's natural.

Picking to support or not support one, that's fine. But Nokia isn't killing anything. They're picking a technology set to support. Same for Google - WebM (VP8 encoded video) works well with Flash (*.flv and *.f4v) btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Remember when the PS3 first came out and the pricing around that? Remember when the PSP first came out and the pricing around that? Remember when they released the Vaio X series and the pricing around that?

Seriously... Sony pushes the upper limit of pricing in almost all scenarios.

Apple is notoriously bad, worse if in Europe.
Yeah, Sony is notorious for their pricing. But in all fairness, especially when talking about their most expensive products, they pretty much offer tech that simply isn't available elsewhere (wether it's advanced tech or form factor) at the time of release. Plus, they've got strong branding, and they know that.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Here is one of the reasons Nokia, and Google and Apple, is trying to kill adobe flash and push HTML5 forward.

http://thehandheldblog.com/2011/06/2...os-html5-test/

btw. N9 winner in this test :-D N9 is using Qtwebkit browser, so I guess this also is valid for thirdparty QtWebkit browsers in N900 :-P

(if I remember correct Opera is using QtWebkit but not sure...
I just happen to notice.

From website above:
Update: Some people will say that its unfair to compare existing products with upcoming ones, and I agree. So for some perspective, as @coolkamio informs me on Twitter, iOS 5 manages a score of 304 + 9].

So it appears that IOS 5 has higher score unless the bonus points mean something else. FYI n9 had 257 + 14 bonus points. But honestly, I do no understand what the numbers really mean except higher is better. Perhaps someone can explain significance.

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
The Vaio I don't know about but wasn't the PS3 and PSP sold at a huge loss? How can it be pushing the upper limit of pricing?
PS3 was $600 USD - more overseas - when later they reduced it to be competitive. PSP Go was the one I was referring to - smaller screen, no media, the games were download only and they were still full-priced (in some instances MORE expensive for some 1st party games) and it was more expensive than the better selling Nintendo DSi.

Both are sold at a loss - they put too much money (and faith) into the Cell processor and the chip foundry for that. Passed that along to us consumers as long as possible.

The Vaio X was a lower spec'd machine, sold at higher prices... all because it was thin (think MacBook Air, but worse priced).

Sony has done the same thing for almost all of their newest stuff for the last decade. Google TV, price drops continue (ok, they're just not selling). Vaio S series... price drops, too expensive for the specs. PSP handheld, sold at a loss, now almost $130 less than it was when it was originally sold (and finally selling well).

Sony phones, Sony computers, Sony BD-ROMs, they price stuff high... way too high at first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
That's fine. Adobe is already planning a HTML5 tool or three whereas Apple has none - Apple Gianduia is more framework than tool and jQuery stomps on it.

Flash has a set of uses. HTML5 has a set of uses. They overlap. That's natural.

Picking to support or not support one, that's fine. But Nokia isn't killing anything. They're picking a technology set to support. Same for Google - WebM (VP8 encoded video) works well with Flash (*.flv and *.f4v) btw.
When I talk flash I mean SDK and bloated closedsource plugins for webgames and animations etc. It should just die imho.

With HTML5 we atleast can improve it cause the webrendering algoritms, like webkit/gecko, is opensource. Adobe is not AFAIK.

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
...they've got strong branding, and they know that.
So does Nokia. Not helping either one of their stocks at this very moment.

Branding is only as good as history, experience and continuance of delivery of perceived quality. Customers are fickle, too many new shiny things out there competing for the same money to fall back on a historical branding attempt that might not be relevant today.

Simply stated... you cannot rest on your laurels. Sony and Nokia both are guilty of this.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I just happen to notice.

From website above:
Update: Some people will say that its unfair to compare existing products with upcoming ones, and I agree. So for some perspective, as @coolkamio informs me on Twitter, iOS 5 manages a score of 304 + 9].

So it appears that IOS 5 has higher score unless the bonus points mean something else. FYI n9 had 257 + 14 bonus points. But honestly, I do no understand what the numbers really mean except higher is better. Perhaps someone can explain significance.
Probadly true cause webkit is pushed by Apple. And I guess updates is not public until they release some new device.

When I talk flash I mean SDK and bloated closedsource plugins for webgames and animations etc. It should just die imho.
Flash's *.swf SDK is open source, so you must mean the closed source plugin only.

I can create a *.swf from command line easily.

With HTML5 we atleast can improve it cause the webrendering algoritms, like webkit/gecko, is opensource. Adobe is not AFAIK.
And yet... you can't control your source like you can with Flash via HTML5 (read: everybody sees your code in HTML5, precompiling can be worked around).

And obviously, with HTML5 being a non-standard as of yet - hell, 4.01 isn't even a standard fully - you think that we'll have universally, non-fragmented playback for everything you may be able to do in HTML5?

Quick answer... not for a long damn time. Saying otherwise is a crack fiend's hope. Webkit != HTML5. It's just a way to view it.

AS3 is based off of ECMA-262. A standard. It's created by Flash, but also open source IDE's and SDK's. And if you wanted to, you could export out *.swf's via open source means. It's the playback that's controlled by one group not named W3C.

Meanwhile, you have faith in the HTML5 standard. I'm actually using it and can tell you... the best HTML5 examples are mostly jQuery examples at one form or another.

I'd suggest a new vector of attack. You're quite wrong in too many places to be taken serious by me on this on. Let's just say you dislike Flash, but for a lot of the wrong reasons and a lot of oft-repeated, and very wrong information.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
qt-components UI is released for Harmattan:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ick-components

Plan is to push this to N900CE hopefully sometime next week sheard on IRC at freenode #meego-arm

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-23 at 18:03.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????