Active Topics

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
A quick doubt: won't those pointy things protruding from the key part scratch the TOH part attached to the phone when sliding the keyboard in/out?
slightly less important, but that is next thing under consideration.

but to set you at ease, because of the alignment pins, there is a minimum 1mm gap between the parts when not in connected state

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Hello,

Small nitpick (sorry - bad form for my first post )

In your store the colour selections are for the 'base' and 'bottom', which are as good as synonymous. The terms the preview widget thing uses - 'TOH' and 'KBD' are much clearer to someone unfamiliar with the project in my opinion.

Love the work you're doing though, thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sweden
Before everyone gets too carried away with colour choices, let me just tell you all that I have a simple LEGO-OH that flypig designed. It's really cool and I like it a lot, but I got a blue one (made by Shapeways) and here's the thing:

After having it in my pocket for a few months the colour is starting to come off. I thing Dirkvl has already pointed this out, but all plastics (except for alumide I guess) are just surface coated white prints it seems. So the colour does wear off, at least on my piece.

Something for you all to consider before deciding on what colour to choose.

Edit: I'm in no way criticising Dirkvl, just wanted to make that very clear! I'm extremely impressed with what he and the rest of the team has come up with. If anything, I'm a bit disappointed in the way Shapeways markets their available colours...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Henque19 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Henque19 View Post
After having it in my pocket for a few months the colour is starting to come off. I thing Dirkvl has already pointed this out, but all plastics (except for alumide I guess) are just surface coated white prints it seems. So the colour does wear off, at least on my piece.
At least for normal FDM printers (such as our Prusa Mendel I2 RepRap) this is not the case - the plastic (ABS or PLA) filament that goes in is fully colored (eq. the color has been mixed-in to the molten plastic when they made the filament spools) and therefore also the things you print have the same color everywhere. Even if you break it to pieces, it still has the same color.

Of course my 3D printing experience comes from FDM printers and Shapeways might be using some other 3D printing technology that might work in a different way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Thanks for the pointing to an eventual problem with the colours.
I hope Dirk will give us some information about this point. I wouldn't choose a coloured one if it isn't imblued.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Henque19 View Post

Something for you all to consider before deciding on what colour to choose.
Yes, this is known from the prints by Shapeways. I personally have not experienced it to be as severe as you describe, but every user-case is different off course!

With the way it is currently constructed, it will probably be quite easy to replace the casing later on. The 3D files (and all other files also by the way) will be open-sourced, so you will be able to buy parts separately aftermarket.

To conclude, whatever the construction method, there are always up- and downsides to every choice we make. The focus on this project is on functionality and durability, and all decisions are made to be inline with this. Possible colour fading after some months is not preferable, but given the ease at which they can be replaced aftermarket this is imo well mitigated.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Hi Dirk thanks for information. Do you know if that is the case with all colours? Even black?

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Yes, this is known from the prints by Shapeways. I personally have not experienced it to be as severe as you describe, but every user-case is different off course!
My pink diptoh has "faded" a lot too, and I can easily see the contrast because a small area just around the switches is close to the original colour because it has gone through less frictions in my pockets. I still like it, but it definitely does not look "brand new" anymore, just by the sight of the colour (which is actually less agressive and fancy, so for the pink, that might be a good thing!).

I have not noticed colour-fading with my black toholed from Kimmo, but I don't remember if it was from Shapeways or some other manufacturer, and I'm not even sure it's the same material (it feels different). Kimmo already answered to that actually, but I don't remember his answer.

Thanks for the updates Dirk. What's this carbon-fiber-like backplate in a pale/whitish colour in the Kickstarter update?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
My pink diptoh has "faded" a lot too, and I can easily see the contrast because a small area just around the switches is close to the original colour because it has gone through less frictions in my pockets. I still like it, but it definitely does not look "brand new" anymore, just by the sight of the colour (which is actually less agressive and fancy, so for the pink, that might be a good thing!).

I have not noticed colour-fading with my black toholed from Kimmo, but I don't remember if it was from Shapeways or some other manufacturer, and I'm not even sure it's the same material (it feels different). Kimmo already answered to that actually, but I don't remember his answer.

Thanks for the updates Dirk. What's this carbon-fiber-like backplate in a pale/whitish colour in the Kickstarter update?
The black toholed you have is also shapeways, same we use now.

What white carbon backplate? I have no idea what you are talking about!

i think he means this

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd