Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I can have a full linux experience right on my 810 right now, it works GREAT. I can print, I can burn CD's. The best thing about maemo's interface was that it was open to be easily replaced.

As far as your spoiled children remarks, again, I was not upset by it, I was confused by it. If you only buy Ford F250 trucks, then when you go to another truck and the only Ford truck is available is a Ford Ranger.

You may be mad
You may say I will buy a Chevy or GMC
You may go WOW, thats a sweet little truck (if your a girl )

So these all seem like valid expected responses to the change. Calling people children for being upset about changing something they have been using for years doesn't make sense to me. It just seems your stooping to the exact behavior you point out.

But then again you did say we

I am just saying no need to act surprised or shocked by people being passionate. I can understand people who may want this. I am just not one of those people.

My remark about spoiled children included me, obviously ! As a super geek myself ... I'm quite enough spoiled !

Moreover this remark was not about people upset by change but about people complaining about Maemo not being a full Linux.

I wonder if your famous full Linux experience on N8xx is so great ... snappy, ergonomic, and if the battery life is so good too ... i still don't think it's possible right now to have such a good user experience on a small screen and quite underpowered device. Anyway, what is important is that it suits your needs.

I will still prefer Maemo ...

ps :
I'm a guy but not into trucks, so i can just guess the meaning of your example ...

Last edited by totololo; 2009-05-28 at 23:49.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
Yea that works really well when do we trash this place

http://www.last.fm/music/Suicidal+Te...titutionalized
And I go “wait, what are you talking about, WE decided? MY best interests? How do you know what MY best interest is? How can you say what MY best interest is? What are you trying to say? I'M crazy?

---------------

On a side note, seen that quake3 video on pandora? ooooooh!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
We want to have a tablet but also can use it as a phone if possible. Phone should be an add-on option not a requirement for a tablet.
Its an option you don't have to use.

If you mean add-on module we've discussed that before (e.g. considering SDIO and MiniPCI Express).

If Apple has iPhone and iPod Touch, is it so hard for Nokia to have N900p and N900t?
The difference between these 2 devices is more than one having a phone and the other one not.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_to...el_comparisons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#3G_model

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-05-28 at 23:51.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Pinguin ... If you like quake ... yes, you're crazy !!!

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post

The difference between these 2 devices is more than one having a phone and the other one not.
Aside from aesthetic differences, iPhone 3.0 update will make the second gen very similar to the 3G, except there is a faster processor on the 2nd gen and no GPS/SMS/Calls. So Nokia could easily do it.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Pinguin ... If you like quake ... yes, you're crazy !!!
I also love Slayer, Beastie Boys and the Grateful Dead.

odd I guess?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
We, most of us here I think, don't want to pay a premium for a phone and use it as a tablet. We want to have a tablet but also can use it as a phone if possible. Phone should be an add-on option not a requirement for a tablet. If Apple has iPhone and iPod Touch, is it so hard for Nokia to have N900p and N900t?

But maybe I talk too soon. I'll wait.
I agree with you in that Nokia should have a phone version and a non phone version. I was referring to the fact that people seem to think the N900 version we are discussing in this thread might be carrier locked, which I think is wrong judging by Nokia's recent devices.

Remember also that the N800 when launched was $400 and the N810 was $479, I purchased a full price N800 and a half priced N810. Both were worth the money to me at the time, however I am a long time mobile phone junkie and used to buy a new $400 mobile phone every 3 months or so

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Aside from aesthetic differences, iPhone 3.0 update will make the second gen very similar to the 3G, except there is a faster processor on the 2nd gen and no GPS/SMS/Calls. So Nokia could easily do it.
That'd add the BlueTooth support, yes. No GPS, no packet radio (WWAN), no GSM/SMS, no vibration, no microphone. Maybe with hacky 3rd party hardware and jailbreaks some of this can be provided.

My point is that it isn't as simple as 1 difference. And that difference isn't modular. There is not 1 difference between N800 and N810 either; each has their strong sides and userbase.

What would you want in your perfect tablet which more resembles the current tablet than the path N900 goes? Those who don't like the N900 path need to think of this, and sketch an alternative device. That way you can group together to find the right device, either by Nokia and/or with Maemo/Mer or not.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
On a side note, seen that quake3 video on pandora? ooooooh!
Yeah, and I was trying to get someone to do something about it for Maemo 5, but it looks like we'll have to wait until the hardware comes out before someone is motivated to get us the right stuff for 3D gaming on Rover...

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
I agree with you in that Nokia should have a phone version and a non phone version. I was referring to the fact that people seem to think the N900 version we are discussing in this thread might be carrier locked, which I think is wrong judging by Nokia's recent devices.

Remember also that the N800 when launched was $400 and the N810 was $479, I purchased a full price N800 and a half priced N810. Both were worth the money to me at the time, however I am a long time mobile phone junkie and used to buy a new $400 mobile phone every 3 months or so
Go on vacation in Greece and buy yourself an unlocked phone. Or Belgium. Or Switzerland. These countries sold and sell unlocked iPhone and G1. They will also sell unlocked Nokia N97 and Nokia N900. Heck it is even illegal to sell them coupled with subscription in Greece. Just be careful on localization of keyboard and WWAN frequencies/protocols.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile