Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Ok, i came across this "news" already in February when i stumbled over the linkd video.
Now that a user over at TJC posted some kind of rant feeling betrayed or something, i would like to know if this was already discussed.

Link to the video of aigo x86 tablet

I was/am totally not surprised jolla is adapting sailfish to an existing hardware and we would see other manufacturers with similar builds.
What is the guy freaking out about, help me plz?!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
That is a good thing imho.
I'm quite sure it can be a good thing; in fact I think all things should strive for "perfection". The problem I have though, as a long time Linux user, I'd never endeavor to make a group happy that can't even discuss civilly a shell or text editor.

But we actually agree.

on the contrary, there are enough place on the internet where everything companies do is hyped unquestioned.
Apple? Google? Agree here. I didn't say nor think that questioning is a bad thing. But when the voices are not coherently saying the same thing, it equates noise. Noise is far too easy for a company to ignore unfortunately.

What i have grown to love about TMO is the high level of criticism and people not hiding opinions.
It's definitely why I stay here.

At first i was drawn away from certain harsh critics posted here that often seemed "overreacted" and sometimes question the whole idea of Sailfish/commercial-Jolla from my POV.
I'm not sold on that they're not overreacting quite yet. But it's passionate speech and constructive criticism that's needed by a company that's powered by people. So far, it's been just one huge bitch-fest of how folks don't like stuff and I've yet to see examples on how to make it better.

Just how it's gotten worse. Nobody benefits from such rhetoric no matter how anybody tries to spin it.

The only thing to fear from that is people like filip linking here, ripping statements out of context...
Agree. Thank you for adding your voice to the discussion. It's greatly appreciated and I hope that you add more.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Sure, read that, and feeling addressed I am answering however not pretending to speak for the group.
Now THIS is the kind of feedback that this forum and Jolla needs to hear/see. Not something so vague it looks like a whine; but a qualified take on what's different and more likely considered missing.

I get where you're going, some of these refinements look/sound like things were removed, but I wonder if there are use cases that support it or if it were just some arbitrary change.

And yes... trust me. When I get my tablet, I'll probably become a terror on TJC.

Thanks for clarifying your position. It's far easier to understand statements backed with facts than opinion steeped in angst. It sends a clearer signal (see above: noise) to all involved, especially the manufacturer.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I was/am totally not surprised jolla is adapting sailfish to an existing hardware and we would see other manufacturers with similar builds.
Aha, I've gotta admit I hadn't known about this before, but this kinda makes the constant delays make sense to me now. So, Jolla was originally working with a design created by someone else, which is why they seemed to be able to come up with a such a high-end tablet in such a short amount of time last year. Then, they started fiddling with it, particularly adding a new high-end display; and with that, lost most of the advantages in speed they gained by choosing an off-the-shelf solution.

And, I would imagine, they're still facing repercussions of their design choices now, as they don't have 100% control over the design or manufacture of the device. On the other hand, if it does still retain any significantly identical parts with its sibling device(s), it should be easier to get replacement parts / replacement devices in the future.

(Also, this would probably explain the very strange user manual that TabletMonkeys gained access to a while back...)

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Also, this would probably explain the very strange user manual that TabletMonkeys gained access to a while back...
That thing was a fake.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Ok, i came across this "news" already in February when i stumbled over the linkd video.
Now that a user over at TJC posted some kind of rant feeling betrayed or something, i would like to know if this was already discussed.

Link to the video of aigo x86 tablet

Maybe he is freaking about the "designed in Finland:

It is a myth that these kind of low end electronics are being designed by other companies than the usual Taiwanese / Chinese tech giants.

You want buy tablet pls fill in form:

Own case / Reference case (Print own brand included)
Dimensions 5, 7, 9"
Thickness
Based on above choices the rest is exclusion list based:

Display resolution / type
Battery removable yes / no
Camera yes / no
Chipset
Memory slot
Charger type
Functions enabled: BT / Wlan mode / 3G / FM Radio Rx Tx / NFC
RAM (max..)
eMMC size
boot loader

Fill in qty desired

Find price / piece.

Personally I found that the SD card slot gave it away Open like that is typically Taiwanese, not scandinavian at all.

All I can say: please more sailfish on Chinese hardware! Why we have only 2?

Maybe he is freaking about the "designed in Finland:

It is a myth that these kind of low end electronics are being designed by other companies than the usual Taiwanese / Chinese tech giants.

You want buy tablet pls fill in form:
One needs to provide country of the form filler/designer, this is where Finland comes into play

[edit]: annd frankly, with nokia going bust, it did seem like patriotic/nationalistic campaign to save finnish industry would be a piece of cake, jolla's marketing did fail tremendously, <50k phones sold with so easy to use angle... Maybe it's nokia's fault, somehow doubt it

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
My old Sailfish phone app: call duration / send message / save as contact / delete

My new Sailfish 2.0 phone app: call duration / call (extra option:=refinement) / send message / copy / delete

Where is save as contact?
example: 4 favorite apps row home screen teaser - how to reach them conveniently?!
Just a couple of minor points/answers:

The 'Save as contact' command is still there on my Jolla under the latest update (1.1.9.28)

As for the second option, you still have the instant ability to launch three programs from the pulley menu in the lockscreen, or swipe up, and they are all there.
The only instance where it is harder to launch your favourite apps is from the home screen, but then you didn't need to go there in the first place to launch the app!
And there also remains the option to not close your favourite apps and use its zombie cover to launch it from the homescreen.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
@mrsellout

Just a couple of minor points/answers:

The 'Save as contact' command is still there on my Jolla under the latest update (1.1.9.28)

--> thanks so much and good to know that it is only gone for me

As for the second option, you still have the instant ability to launch three programs from the pulley menu in the lockscreen, or swipe up, and they are all there.

-> Lock screen ok, I know that and have flashlight, calculator, voice recorder there in that pulley menu for quick access when my phone is locked

But I need to lock my phone first to access this menu where before I could use it when unlocked.

Yes swipe up brings me a nice I con grid. Why, was I asking where are all the icons?

The only instance where it is harder to launch your favorite apps is from the home screen, but then you didn't need to go there in the first place to launch the app!

Yes and that homescreen / multitasking window happens to be where I hang around when I am thinking about launching an application.

Swipe up to bring up full icon grid for camera, try to reach top list. Ok let's strategically move camera to lower part of grid so I look less clumsy.

This is not making me love Sailfish. It is making me feel that handling a random persons Android is not so bad after all because also there I am browsing in icon lists.

And there also remains the option to not close your favourite apps and use its zombie cover to launch it from the homescreen.

Thanks, I been there trying it out and I feel sorry for Jolla that I now have to do it this way.
You need to arrange your zombies in a familiar order. They even created one step to much before you can drag them around (long press to bring up "close app crosses", then long press again on app to dragg it)
Also they changed the icons of minimized apps and for example camera is less clear.
(can be confused with gallery cause it also changes background with picture),

phone app icon is also less clearly recognizable.

(before you had dial and contacts mini icon in one minimized app and you could launch both, now only dial)

Conclusion of a long story: I can still launch apps. Thanks.

Why am I writing these comments under Tablet?

Ok maybe here Sailors will be reading opinions during processing of the next blog update on the Tablet

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Aha, the tablet invitations FAQ is back! Hopefully this time for good. Still has the same dates as well (such as a mention of the 24th of September, although I don't know the significance of that date). But yeah, hopefully, some folks are now receiving e-mails to finalize their tablet distribution:

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...nvitations-FAQ

EDIT: And even better, a blog entry:

https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-operations/

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-09-22 at 12:19.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund