Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Of course I've did that, and I still think that bb-power place is in CSSU, much more than any other components belonging to CSSU already.
And exactly this was agreed to happen, it depends on iDont to prepare the packages now.

Also, I did not buy the "developer need to dance around CSSU team, to get his work included" philosophy - instead of just being ready to maintain his piece of work inside CSSU, when it gets included. Feel free to disagree.

/Estel
I don't think you can blame me for being impolite or something in that regard with the newcomers. I also don't like some things and you should agree I am trying to change those. Do you remember me telling you "I always get what I want..." :P. As much as I hate policy, it seems that in the real life sometimes it is inevitable

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I don't think you can blame me for being impolite or something in that regard with the newcomers. I also don't like some things and you should agree I am trying to change those. Do you remember me telling you "I always get what I want..." :P. As much as I hate policy, it seems that in the real life sometimes it is inevitable
Absolutely agree, and I'm very thankful + glad, that You're doing it (and some others, too).

My comment about "who should be thanked" for current problems was corresponding to situation, that lead to last release (and hassle it made with bb-power). As You're aware, bb-power was seens as candidate for CSSU for at least a year (in fact, bb-power is consequently maintained for *longer* than CSSU...), yet, some were vocally advocating against it, without any reasonable rationale - mostly due to ideological reasons, but - it seems to me, that it was about power in name, mostly

Followers of busybox-power thread are perfectly aware, "who and why" was opting against bb-p, claiming that it will be never part of CSSU. It's sad, that CSSU maintainers were so influenced by it, without carrying for meritocratic value of package in question.

This lead to situation we have here now, and, sadly, without Your help (and iDont's patience), it would be still the case, for further releases. So, in this case, fixing decisions were made due to authority of personal(s) - again, meritocratic value of package itself, wasn't enough. It saddens me (despite fact, that outcome is positive, after all).

While I totally appreciate effort put into CSSU and respect it maintainers/contributors for all the work, I hope that bb-power case will be a kind of lesson. Last half of a year months were prime example, where CSSU maintainership [n]*shouldn't*[/b] be going, and again, I'm very glad it is changing. Your famous post in cssu-thumb thread seems to indicate, that we're also agreeing, that some things were wrong/undefined, in the past months.
---

So, I think that we're agreeing totally - misunderstanding raised, because I was referring to things prior the latest update (which, as we know, wasn't prepared a day before release - it was effect of months worth of effort). So, no problem here (peace, love, and pink sweet flovers, instead ).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-09-19 at 17:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
CSSU should focus on internal stuff inside the system, add functionality that other programs can rely on, and that developers and other people can safely assume that they are there for everyone.

And not as it is now to add bells n whistles that can be distributed elswhere without any difference.
Powerbusybox for instance adds functionality that can be used by other programs.
While portraitmode and other themes, only wastes some space and processingpower, and that is not a useful waste since it is on a *theme* without any added functionality at all to the system itself.

Just let those who wants portraitmode to install it themselves, and dont distribute it thru cssu, since it doesnt belong there at all.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
Just let those who wants portraitmode to install it themselves, and dont distribute it thru cssu, since it doesnt belong there at all.
Look I have already said this, forcedrotation is forced there to help with development/redevelopment of closed applications. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SYSTEM WIDE PORTRAIT MODE.

Just because you have a beef with portrait mode doesn't mean you can being it up all the time and demand it's removal.
It's in there already with gconf tools made, it's useful for many, if you don't want it lock it I don't see the problem.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
CSSU should focus on internal stuff inside the system, add functionality that other programs can rely on, and that developers and other people can safely assume that they are there for everyone.

And not as it is now to add bells n whistles that can be distributed elswhere without any difference.
Powerbusybox for instance adds functionality that can be used by other programs.
While portraitmode and other themes, only wastes some space and processingpower, and that is not a useful waste since it is on a *theme* without any added functionality at all to the system itself.

I am pretty happy, that you are not deciding, how CSSU is run and handled.
CSSU is a nice way to add to the Maemo system released by nokia.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Look I have already said this, forcedrotation is forced there to help with development/redevelopment of closed applications. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SYSTEM WIDE PORTRAIT MODE.

Just because you have a beef with portrait mode doesn't mean you can being it up all the time and demand it's removal.
It's in there already with gconf tools made, it's useful for many, if you don't want it lock it I don't see the problem.
I DO NOT have a beef with portrait mode, i can live with that inconvenience myself...

BUT, to deliver PORTRAIT MODE and GAMES and a shitload of other *CRAP* instead of doing something useful....
... just makes CSSU to a playground for IPHONE wannabees.

Sure i dont care if the cssu team just would buy the IPHONEs they ACTUALLY wants to have, and just dissapear.

It is MUCH better to conserve the system as it is...
Or to make a fork that can develop into a new better system than to add PURE CRAP that only consumes resources.

AND, the reason i argues about CSSU is because in the end they are the ones that DECIDES about what and how the discussions in the forums and the development of new software is working for EVERYONE...
Their system is the system that is the reference that everyone takes for granted today.

THIS is the important part:

IF i am gonna argue about anything specific, then it is how badly clutter works.. clutter is the foundation of hildon-desktop... and clutter was most likely the main reason portraitmode didnt work in the first place, and not busybox in itself.

Code:
 /* NB: we call gtk_main as opposed to clutter_main or mb_wm_main_loop
   * because it does the most extra magic, such as supporting quit
functions
   * that the others don't. Except for adding the clutter_x11_add_filter
   * (manually done above) it appears be a super set of the other two
   * so everything *should* be covered this way. */

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-09-23 at 16:38.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
I am pretty happy, that you are not deciding, how CSSU is run and handled.
CSSU is a nice way to add to the Maemo system released by nokia.

Nokia has nothing to do with cssu.

-And, my voice is just one of many in the forums, which is how it should be, and not a dictatorship as it is today.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
BUT, to deliver PORTRAIT MODE and GAMES and a shitload of other *CRAP* instead of doing something useful....
... just makes CSSU to a playground for IPHONE wannabees.

Sure i dont care if the cssu team just would buy the IPHONEs they ACTUALLY wants to have, and just dissapear.

It is MUCH better to conserve the system as it is...
Or to make a fork that can develop into a new better system than to add PURE CRAP that only consumes resources.
One mans CRAP is another mans gold, we all have an opinion and many don't agree with you.
You are making it sound like all the years of work to make CSSU are pointless. I pointed out before you haven't read the changelogs on CSSU, you clearly don't know what's in there. How can you agrue.

CSSU is for important system updates I have never seen games forced upon my CSSU installs or this "**** load of other crap" you speak of.

Look this is not constructive to CSSU, take your rant somewhere else.

I think many will agree CSSU team are doing a good job and are greatful for the time they put in. Can you do any better? Go on then.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Did not say that nokia is related to CSSU!
Just glad, it is the way it is!

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
One mans CRAP is another mans gold, we all have an opinion and many don't agree with you.
You are making it sound like all the years of work to make CSSU are pointless. I pointed out before you haven't read the changelogs on CSSU, you clearly don't know what's in there. How can you agrue.

CSSU is for important system updates I have never seen games forced upon my CSSU installs or this "**** load of other crap" you speak of.

Look this is not constructive to CSSU, take your rant somewhere else.

I think many will agree CSSU team are doing a good job and are greatful for the time they put in.
*This thread is exactly the right spot to talk about cssu*

I have read the cssu wiki and the other links you pointed out last time, And it is nothing there that points out that cssu have done something more than portraitmode support .. program by program.

-And added some other stuff that OTHERS have done...

Tags
cssu testing