Active Topics

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Did not say that nokia is related to CSSU!
Just glad, it is the way it is!
...Then you need to put yourself into what cssu actually is and try to make your voice herard of what YOU want cssu to focus on.
You are also one of those many people that are dependant of cssu whether you want it or not...

PS, there should be a votingsystem for everyone to decide what cssu should be about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
I have read the cssu wiki and the other links you pointed out last time, And it is nothing there that points out that cssu have done something more than portraitmode support .. program by program.
There's a big list in the changelog on the wiki, I am not going to waste my time copying it here.
Many things are not necessarly "programs" there are fixes for bugs that Nokia CBA fixing. As we agree it's about important system components not any old "program by program"

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
As we agree it's about important system components not any old "program by program"
Correction: Portraitmode fixed, one program at a time...

But as i said in the last mail: There should be an open discussion with the community on what cssu should focus on , and a votingsystem for the *community* to decide what each cssu-update should include.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
CSSU should focus on internal stuff inside the system, add functionality that other programs can rely on, and that developers and other people can safely assume that they are there for everyone.

And not as it is now to add bells n whistles that can be distributed elswhere without any difference.
Can you name some examples for
"internal stuff inside the system".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
@electroaudio: what do you mean by "the community" ? only the ones who actually deliver actual contributions, whether code, enlightened advices or bug reports should decide where CSSU can go.

The vast majority of silent users should just continue to follow, start to contribute in one way or another, or just leave.
I'm not one of the useful people who delivers, and do not want to talk for them, but in my opinion "Community" SSU does not mean it is done by or for the "community" (whatever it is defined as): it means it is done by others than the original provider (NOKIA), and it happens that these "others" are willing to not only share their work but also provide an easy way to distribute it to anyone's device.

CSSU is not a democracy, nor a right because you own a wonderful device: if you want something done your way, do it, share it, discuss its legitimacy to be included in the distribution system with its maintainers, and then you will have earn the right to rant about how CSSU is not oriented in the way you would like it to be. And if you really think so and find other people sharing your point of view, then fork: it's free !

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pierrem For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pierrem View Post
CSSU is not a democracy, nor a right because you own a wonderful device: if you want something done your way, do it, share it, discuss its legitimacy to be included in the distribution system with its maintainers, and then you will have earn the right to rant about how CSSU is not oriented in the way you would like it to be. And if you really think so and find other people sharing your point of view, then fork: it's free !
The community can vote for a council for example, and the rules can be the same for cssu , and sure there are stuff that i can contribute with if needed (I am an asssemblyprogrammer/computerengineer and have been so since the 70s) , but it shouldnt be needed for a community-driven-upgrade...

Right now i dont even know who maintains cssu , even if i sometimes suspect that the team consists of lumiaman and his friends...

Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Can you name some examples for
"internal stuff inside the system".
For example CLUTTER and the way that it steals almost all gestures from the desktop system below.

I also asked in the cssu thread about where in the source i should look to fix that, it should be easy for those people (that has done all those portraitmode fixes) to spend a couple of seconds to write an answer with some directions on that...

And CLUTTER is a fix that should be in cssu.. portraitmode clicktozoom transitions and such stuff is not so important in cssu , since anyone can install them by themselves without affecting the community.

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-09-23 at 22:05.

you really don't get it, do you ?

"Community", as you seem to understand it (people who use their N900), has nothing to do with CSSU.
CSSU was not started by "community", it is not developed by "community", it is not distributed by "community", it is not maintained by "community". It is used by "community".

It involves a handful of people sharing their work to whoever want to use it.
Some even insisted on maintaining a long term stable repository to be sure that nobody gets hurt in the process of upgrading their device... as if they considered to have a duty towards what you call "community".

And now you want that "community" to take over the work already done and decides how, where and when things have to be done ?
With a council which would introduce bureaucracy in a project that goes very well in its current ways ?

You want to know who maintains CSSU: just check maemo-cssu@freenode IRC logs and you'll know.
And guess what ? people involved at the beginning are not the same as people involved today: it moves, it adapts, it is efficient.
Could it be more efficient ? certainly, but not by listening to empty rants.

You want it to be different ? again, feel free to fork, or convince those actually involved. But I'm afraid your contribution empty rant won't bring you very far.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pierrem For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pierrem View Post
you really don't get it, do you ?

"Community", as you seem to understand it (people who use their N900), has nothing to do with CSSU.
CSSU was not started by "community", it is not developed by "community", it is not distributed by "community", it is not maintained by "community". It is used by "community".

It involves a handful of people sharing their work to whoever want to use it.
Some even insisted on maintaining a long term stable repository to be sure that nobody gets hurt in the process of upgrading their device... as if they considered to have a duty towards what you call "community".

And now you want that "community" to take over the work already done and decides how, where and when things have to be done ?
With a council which would introduce bureaucracy in a project that goes very well in its current ways ?

You want to know who maintains CSSU: just check maemo-cssu@freenode IRC logs and you'll know.
And guess what ? people involved at the beginning are not the same as people involved today: it moves, it adapts, it is efficient.
Could it be more efficient ? certainly, but not by listening to empty rants.

You want it to be different ? again, feel free to fork, or convince those actually involved. But I'm afraid your contribution empty rant won't bring you very far.
Who the hell are YOU!?!?
Do you have any thing to do with cssu at all, or are you just argueing because you have a boring life???

-You know that what you are actually argueing for is that cssu is by definition meaningless for the community , and only should be delivered to other cssu teammembers.

Ps, I dont even have cssu on my n900...

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
For example CLUTTER and the way that it steals almost all gestures from the desktop system below.

I also asked in the cssu thread about where in the source i should look to fix that, it should be easy for those people (that has done all those portraitmode fixes) to spend a couple of seconds to write an answer with some directions on that...

And CLUTTER is a fix that should be in cssu.. portraitmode clicktozoom transitions and such stuff is not so important in cssu , since anyone can install them by themselves without affecting the community.
Can you name some more examples.
Your Clutter example isn't even a good one, as clutters
main purpose is rendering animations.
There isn't any gestures recognition or stealing.
hildon-desktop understands the following "gestures"
mouse clicked
mouse long pressed
mouse dragged

BTW, portrait mode was highly demanded by many
users.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing