Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
UX on SailfishOS Questions
Can any of you with the Jolla explain how these process went (actions versus your expectations)
- receive contact information in an email, initiate a phone call from the info in the email
- [same scenario] copy information into the calendar for upcoming meeting, send meeting request to person(s) on that email, update appointment
- connect to another accessory using Bluetooth, WiFi/DNLA, or NFC/Bluetooth - what worked, what didn't, how long did it take you from deciding to transfer something to it being on the other device
- while on a call, quickly disconnect, then get back on the line with the person (how did the device respond to the switch in/out of the telephone app/service, how did the network seem to respond)
- how long does it take to put device into a silent state when an alarm/ringer is going off, and the device isn't in your hand - what steps did you do to quench the sounds

These are mostly normal UX questions, and things not always covered in reviews. But, in terms of evaluating the UX against and with other platforms, these are the kinds of questions which make a lot of sense to ask. Have at it.
Some answers.

You can double click numbers in email messages. You get a screen that lets you call or send sms to the number. From the top of the screen you can pull down options 'Link' and 'Save' (to contacts, which then opens up regular contact add page).

Calendar events attendees and notes are not currently supported; you can only add the name of the event, description, time, recurrence and alarm. I'd suppose they'll be there some day.

Workaround for this is that after you have created the event, you can share it from the menu as a vcs-file. Not very elegant for business people, so this is just rudimentary execution.

Silencing the phone happens fastest with a short click of the power button.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, one can even decide not to install Android support in the first place. It does not come preinstalled on the phone, but is available separately from the Jolla Store.
OK, since all apps (native and android) in harbour are at the same place is there any filter for that. Or maybe, If one doesn't install ACL, is there a chance that he doesn't even see android apps.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Silencing the phone happens fastest with a short click of the power button.
So now "turn-to-slience" option? It is nice to have, but I think it can be implemented with an application.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
OK, since all apps (native and android) in harbour are at the same place is there any filter for that. Or maybe, If one doesn't install ACL, is there a chance that he doesn't even see android apps.
No, you can actually install Android apps without having Alien Dalvik installed. If you click the icon in the launcher then, the store will open with the Android Support app page for installation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
So, there's no filter? meh......... OK, after all that marketing with android I wasn't expecting much more. Even the ability to not install ACL is unexpected feature, a big + for me. The option to not even see android apps without ACL would be a cherry on top.

So, there's no filter? meh......... OK, after all that marketing with android I wasn't expecting much more. Even the ability to not install ACL is unexpected feature, a big + for me. The option to not even see android apps without ACL would be a cherry on top.
Oh, there would be a fine solution for this problem: submit proper Sailfish apps to Harbour, not alien Android apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
To me it sounds like all the Android applications come from external stores (Yandex & co) and that Harbour carries only Jolla-native applications. I could be mistaken though.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
To me it sounds like all the Android applications come from external stores (Yandex & co) and that Harbour carries only Jolla-native applications. I could be mistaken though.
Harbour accept Android apps, and the Jolla Store has two or three Android apps, e.g. Ilta-Sanomat.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by att View Post
Alarm: About three seconds. Touching the screen with a finger and then either pushing up (dismiss) or pulling down (snooze) and then releasing.
Good old Mr Douglas Adams got it right, then, 35 years ago. Devices used to be operated by buttons, knobs and levers, nowadays you just vaguely wave your hand and hope. When an alarm wakes me up, eyes still stuck closed, am I expected to remember which way the phone is turned so I don't swipe down when I mean up?

Someone's also mentioned the control bar in the default browser. It opens by scrolling up, on the assumption that you scroll up when you've finished reading the page. That wouldn't work for me on this very website. I scroll up when I've finished reading the thread and want to go back to the list on the right. And that is on an N900 in landscape mode, which Jolla apparently does not support yet.

In other words, I don't regret at all that I've missed the preorder boat

For those slow on the uptake, please follow the link first before answering.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Harbour accept Android apps, and the Jolla Store has two or three Android apps, e.g. Ilta-Sanomat.
OK then, I stand corrected.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience