I think the main difference between both devices is that the N900 is not designed as a phone.

What strikes me most is the phone capability being marketed as subsidiary. "Your mobile computer can also be used as a phone." (http://maemo.nokia.com/features/phone/), says the N900 official site, and not even in the home page.

It's not just about marketing, I guess, it's much more about Nokia not willing to target the average iPhone user. Landscape orientation will prevent most users to consider this device as being actually a phone, I mean.

I think Nokia does not feel ready to compete with the rich user-friendly experience that Apple provides throughout the App Store. The N900 is intended for geeks and gadget lovers, whereas the iPhone has a slightly larger audience. Just my opinion.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Paxicide View Post
Was this link posted before?

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/2009/0...okia-n900.html
Yes, in comment #53.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Some of you in here like to rag a lot about the iPhone and well, it's expected since it's pretty much the biggest game in town insofar as the new wave of touchscreen smartphones but seriously, it's making an impact because Apple actually got several things right and if the new wave of Maemo devices aspires to achieve similar success they should look at it closely.

Just as an example, legacy support is exemplary. Every iPhone iteration so far has been able to install the yearly revision of the OS and not just the bug fixes, but new features too. Is the Maemo team and Nokia committing to such legacy support? Or I'll need to buy the n910 in a year and the n920 the following year as it's been the case for symbian phones?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
May be you dont like bluetooth. But it has been very well used in the developing countries to send pictures and ringtones from one phone to another. So i would consider it very useful.
And I don't live in a developing country. Bluetooth is insecure - bluesnarfing is heavy in Europe - and above all it is slow as hell. You wish to make it more important than it is because it suits you, so be it.

I'd rather avoid it because I'm not that patient.

I am sorry i am not talking about google maps. I am talking about an inbuilt maps application which doesnt need to download data and will work without the cell connection. I understand that tom tom released an app recently. But the advantage with ovi is that you can still browse the maps for free and only routing is paid.
And these precious downloadable maps are updated how frequently?

Exactly. Not for over a year for the N810. Downloadable maps are only as good as how up-to-date they are. And from what I've seen, downloadable maps tend to not be as up to date as a Google Maps iteration time and time again.

Again, justification is all I see here. It's not an advantage you're describing, it's a preference. I prefer my maps to be as up-to-date as possible.

Push notifications work for those applications like skype too? I mean how can someone call you on gtalk or skype without your application being open? On my friend's iphone i have to physically open the application and leave it open for me to be visible as online on another computer and the moment i open another application it shows me as logged out.... so how do i call a logged out person?
Because it runs in the background. When I receive a message on BeeJive and I'm on a phone, it tells me what the message is... I switch to BeeJive and use it.

Same for notifications of messages/IM's in Fring and Nimbuzz. It's not multi-tasking as you'll invariably refer back to in the N810 or N900. So instead of centering around that, let's center around what you don't know.

I can, I have, I will receive notifications of messages sent to me when I'm not in an app such as Fring for instance. I will switch to that app, and resume my conversations. And if I miss a phone call to my IPKall account that I use via Nimbuzz or Fring, I will see who's called me, and be able to call them back.

That last part, I particularly do not like. But It does alert me when a phone call is coming in. Is it multi-tasking, we already know that's not the case. But I am not left out of using those apps in a bit of app usability darkness that is so prevalent around here - and so very wrong.

I'm suggesting that you do more research. Your bias is far too easily noticeable.

My whole point is about the 3G data. Even the n900 has quadband edge and so it is similar to the iphone 3G in that respect.
And I can't add a few new frequencies to the N900 either. And no mf'n way I'm using EDGE. Again, I'm not in some developing country. I'd rather use 3G over EDGE. I'd rather use wifi over bluetooth. I'd rather use USB2 over bluetooth.

I don't want to use some slow tech because it's popular in Latvia or Liberia. Or because it's so easy to get to via the terminal either. I don't have time.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
This is pretty much the silliest thing I've heard today (it's been a quiet day). The n900 has all 4 GSM bands for voice (850,900,1800,1900), which are the same bands that the Iphone has. Granted, the 3G bands are different. So, you could take the n900 to AT&T, and use it for voice. Note that since the Iphone doesn't have 1700 and doesn't support CDMA, therefore (in the states) the iphone is effectively locked to AT&T in the same manner that you're saying the n900 is locked to T-mobile. They both can be used for voice on other networks, and neither of them can be use another network's 3G (in the states). I want to know why the n900 doesn't have 850MHz and 1900MHz in addition to the 1700.
How is that silly? You want a data phone that can't access the data if you don't use it on T-Mobile.

Pray tell, how the hell would I use the 3G data? Use EDGE?

Now that's silly.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Well.. I think the 900MHz and 2100MHz cover the most of the world 3G bands except the US... So TMO and AT&T both are to blame on picking some obscure bands. (Or is it FCC?)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Well.. I think the 900MHz and 2100MHz cover the most of the world 3G bands except the US... So TMO and AT&T both are to blame on picking some obscure bands. (Or is it FCC?)
It's a rather stupid decision indeed. Heap that into the many stupid decisions by carriers in the US.

I think it's just stupid altogether that they're not all competing on a level playing field, all phones are able to be used by all carriers and stupid stuff like this wouldn't happen at all.

It's downright stupid and frustrating. FCC allows it, the carriers won't compromise. The consumer suffers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And I don't live in a developing country. Bluetooth is insecure - bluesnarfing is heavy in Europe - and above all it is slow as hell. You wish to make it more important than it is because it suits you, so be it.

I'd rather avoid it because I'm not that patient.

So how do you transfer files between your iphone and a wifi less device? Even the n900 has wifi and you can use wifi to transfer files between two wifi devices. But i am talking about an additional feature which has been blocked by apple deliberately.

And these precious downloadable maps are updated how frequently?

Exactly. Not for over a year for the N810. Downloadable maps are only as good as how up-to-date they are. And from what I've seen, downloadable maps tend to not be as up to date as a Google Maps iteration time and time again.

Again, justification is all I see here. It's not an advantage you're describing, it's a preference. I prefer my maps to be as up-to-date as possible.

Again the n900 can take advantage of google maps. Ovi maps is in addition to google maps. Why is it so hard for you to understand that the n900 already has what you are talking about and my point is that the iphone does not have in built maps without the need for data usage. For example you are in remote area where there is no cellular service just open the maps application instead of using google maps with insane roaming data charges. Again i want to to remind that the n900 has both maemo mapper and also can use the web browser for directions.

Because it runs in the background. When I receive a message on BeeJive and I'm on a phone, it tells me what the message is... I switch to BeeJive and use it.

Same for notifications of messages/IM's in Fring and Nimbuzz. It's not multi-tasking as you'll invariably refer back to in the N810 or N900. So instead of centering around that, let's center around what you don't know.

I can, I have, I will receive notifications of messages sent to me when I'm not in an app such as Fring for instance. I will switch to that app, and resume my conversations. And if I miss a phone call to my IPKall account that I use via Nimbuzz or Fring, I will see who's called me, and be able to call them back.

That last part, I particularly do not like. But It does alert me when a phone call is coming in. Is it multi-tasking, we already know that's not the case. But I am not left out of using those apps in a bit of app usability darkness that is so prevalent around here - and so very wrong.

Again why would you miss a call? The whole point of having those applications is to communicate real time. And seriously what is the point of instant messaging if you have to be notified by some other program and then go back into that program. In the meanwhile you have to stop doing whatever you are doing and open the application, respond to the im and then come back to the application again. Well that indeed is a lot of work for me and i would never do that for Instant messaging. But if you are happy with it then it is great.

I'm suggesting that you do more research. Your bias is far too easily noticeable.

And I can't add a few new frequencies to the N900 either. And no mf'n way I'm using EDGE. Again, I'm not in some developing country. I'd rather use 3G over EDGE. I'd rather use wifi over bluetooth. I'd rather use USB2 over bluetooth.

Seriously how can i explain to you. I dont understand what you are trying to prove. I will try again. The iphone works on 850/1900/2100 bands for 3G access. This is used only by AT&T. Now the n900 uses 900/1700/2100 for 3G access. And both are quadband gsm and edge. SO basically what this means is that the iphone can only use AT&T 3G. Even if you officially unlock it it will never work with T-mobile 3G, and similarly the n900 can only work with T-mobile 3G. Even if you unlock it, you cannot use it for 3G on AT&T. Of course since they overlap in the 2100 band you may get spotty access. But that is going to be very spotty and will differ from one area to another area within a matter of several meters.

So bottom line there is really no advantage here. It just depends on the carrier you prefer. Of course the only advantage right now is that t-mobile's 3G is lagging in comparision to AT&T 3G.

I don't want to use some slow tech because it's popular in Latvia or Liberia. Or because it's so easy to get to via the terminal either. I don't have time.
I understand i am biased to nokia because i have used it much more than the iphone and i like nokia as a company way more than apple. But this is a nokia forum what do you seriously expect?

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war