Active Topics

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Lets face it, the price point of the new iPhone 2 is only attractive if it has the features you want.

I'd still rather pay $400 for an N810 than $200 for an iPhone 2.

It's not a "new barrier" for all others to match, unless there's feature parity. And there isn't. The iPhone 2 is still lacking.
So are you saying you rather not welcome the new price point barrier which everyone will want to beat (and keep paying for a $400 device) ?
I would much welcome this - as much as I love my N810 and paid $400 for it, I would still love to see the same device (or type of device) for much lesser, and if the new iPhone2 price-point is the reason for it, I welcome it.

Lets not get defensive over a good thing that the iPhone2 may bring to the market - lower and competitively priced devices.

And on a comparative note - while I do agree with you on the broad aspect of feature parity, but from a common consumers point, contract prices for data remaining the same, isn't one device with browsing capability and with Wifi and 3G built in not match up to the double priced device without 3G connectivity just because of openness and such factors ? I mean, is the iPhone so much lacking in features that the N810 has, that it justifies the $200 price premium as you are justifying ?

Last edited by nilchak; 2008-06-10 at 02:28.

no qwerty keypad F that I hate typing on screen

Right behind you.... $199 8G 3G and GPS sounds like a pretty good deal and its just a matter of time until they jailbreak it

Originally Posted by cashless View Post
Does Nokia and the N series have anything to fear?

Personally, I'll be getting one of these.

This new iPhone has 802.1x LEAP/TTLS support for Wifi, which my N810 still doesn't have, nor have I seen any mention of it coming soon in Diablo. So, it's off to iPhone land for me. I'm not eager to plunk down $30 additional per month for the mandatory data plan, but who needs NetFlix? So long, HBO (I'm keeping Showtime, dammit!).

I will keep my N810 for pentest, the nice open source software coming out every day, the keyboard, and hope that Android may run on top of Diablo some day. Why? Because of the location-aware applications. Jobs is right, imo, that is going to be a huge market.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Los Angeles, CA
While the announcement of the 3G iphone floored me when I heard about the low cost, I do not think I will jump on the bandwagon so quickly. I cant deny that it is a damn 'pretty' device and has some pretty cool features but it is also VERY locked down (especially if it takes any cues from its v1 brother). Yes I know you can jailbreak it but you also run the bigger risk of bricking the device which basically screws you big time. And while people may think it is VERY cheap, look at the time they require you to sign up for. Add in the fact that they MAKE you purchase an internet bundle you're looking at over $70 a month once you include the lovely local taxes and such.

Im sure this version will garner a ton more followers than the original but I dont think I'll bite down just yet. No expandable memory slots, fubared bluetooth, no blackberry email support, no mentioning of its ability to send MMS (completely and absolutely ridiculous that this seems to go unmentioned on some sites!!!), the list can go on.

I currently have a WinMo phone and am extremely displeased. Looking for a Nokia phone that will have decent BT, WifI, GPS, fast enough internet (as others have mentioned its the processor that makes it look faster....not the 3g radio), and lots of available apps. Will I have to pay more...yep...but I'll be happy with the freedom

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
So are you saying you rather not welcome the new price point barrier which everyone will want to beat (and keep paying for a $400 device) ?
I would much welcome this - as much as I love my N810 and paid $400 for it, I would still love to see the same device (or type of device) for much lesser, and if the new iPhone2 price-point is the reason for it, I welcome it.

Lets not get defensive over a good thing that the iPhone2 may bring to the market - lower and competitively priced devices.
Yeah but that is not what this is, this is simply hidden costs. You are not paying the total cost up front, you can't expect independent companies to compete price wise with companies that have negotiated to make things look cheaper upfront. And the cost isn't just in materials and manufacturing, it is in research and development, and in software.

well, quickly, theres the point that the new change is just that the price went down, and you have to get it activated in store, supposedly, but over all not that much has changed

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I just don't understand how the USA puts up with its network operators, they treat their customers like dirt. You wouldn't get away with that in other countries.

No wonder Americans are so keen on alternative wireless standards...

DUH, we got monopoly problems, that or cartels, one or the other

iPhone 3G purchase and activation will be in-store only
(source: Engadget)

...So much for that one.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Oh noes!

THIS NEW CHEAP IPHONE WILL COMPLETELY BRING NOKIA TO ITS CORPORATE KNEES!!!

...sorry, had a brief lapse of perspective there.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Oh noes!

THIS NEW CHEAP IPHONE WILL COMPLETELY BRING NOKIA TO ITS CORPORATE KNEES!!!

...sorry, had a brief lapse of perspective there.
well at least in north america...... yes. I dont see how nokia can release sub 200 dollar with all the features the iphone has.