Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by grog View Post
After installing this I did:

Code:
apt-get update; apt-get -s upgrade
And it didn't offer to reinstall hildon-desktop, so I assume we don't need to pin this like MohammadAG's package?

TX
I assume you installed and pinned MohammadAG's package (and didn't edit the preferences file to remove the pin). If so this one is pinned as well. You just replaced MohammadAG's package (same version numbers, etc).

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I assume you installed and pinned MohammadAG's package (and didn't edit the preferences file to remove the pin). If so this one is pinned as well. You just replaced MohammadAG's package (same version numbers, etc).
Actually no, I hadn't touched either of these packages before now. I had just read through Mohammad's thread & was commenting on what I had experienced after installing Tomast's version. TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by tomast View Post
Correct, MohammadAG's patch isn't needed anymore. You should be able to achieve the same effect by setting the appropriate value in /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini.
See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...127#post798127

I took a quick look in the git history, and
  • pre-PR1.2 used a (hard-coded) deceleration_rate of 0.99
  • PR1.2 uses a (hard-coded) deceleration_rate of 0.90
  • post-PR1.2 ("my" version) reads the value from the "launcher" section in transitions.ini, with default=0.90. And the included transitions.ini has a commented-out value of 0.98.

(The less important strong_deceleration_rate ("effective in bouncing zones") is 0.7 in all cases.)

Not sure about what value Mohammad uses, but I would guess 0.99.

/T
Could you please post up your version of transitions.ini? I'm having some trouble getting the faster kinetic scrolling to work.

I cannot get the same scrolling effect as in MohammadAGs hildon-desktop deb with tomasts one (even after activating deceleration_rate=0.98) but at least all bugs are fixed

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ktchiu View Post
Could you please post up your version of transitions.ini? I'm having some trouble getting the faster kinetic scrolling to work.
I just figured out that hildon-desktop tries to read /etc/hildon/theme/transitions.ini first with fallback to /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini .... So check /etc/... first.

A working transitions.ini is attached (remove .txt).

deceleration_rate is 0.9999 here, which means that it practically never will stop scrolling by itself. A better value might be 0.99.

Note that you set deceleration rate and not initial speed (which obviously is set by your finger).

I haven't figured out yet if it is supposed to auto-reload the configuration file on change or not (it seems like it does that partially...). I always 'killall hildon-desktop' to be sure.

EDIT: Does anybody know if TMO or browsers adds CRs to .txt-files downloaded from here (for our poor Windows users)? Attaching a .gz version just in case.

/T
Attached Files
File Type: txt transitions.ini.txt (6.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: gz transitions.ini.gz (2.3 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by tomast; 2010-09-03 at 09:54.

Originally Posted by grog View Post
Actually no, I hadn't touched either of these packages before now. I had just read through Mohammad's thread & was commenting on what I had experienced after installing Tomast's version. TX
I actually installed Mohammad's deb just to find the reason for this, but sadly I wasn't offered to replace it either (without --reinstall).

EDIT: But IF it turns out that the two debs behaves differently in this regard, then read on...

The only important difference that I can find is that Mohammad has changed the deb's "Maintainer" field. It is possible to interpret http://linux.die.net/man/5/apt_preferences *** it matters:
*** = insert some word combination unobvious to a swede like me

If two or more versions have the same priority and version number but either the packages differ in some of their metadata or the --reinstall option is given, install the uninstalled one.

Anyhow, it would be very interresting to see the output of 'apt-cache policy' and 'apt-cache policy hildon-desktop' (or 'apt-cache policy <packagename>') from someone who have seen this "automatic reinstallation" happen on some package. The only thing I can think of now is if those who have this problem have performed an SSU update which have changed some apt settings.

/T

Last edited by tomast; 2010-09-03 at 11:53.

Am I the only one or is it not possible anymore to force the phone application to portrait mode?
Every time I save that setting it reverts back to automatic which is annoying.
I didn't have that problem with MohammadAGs hildon-desktop version before.

Portrait mode, including setting and unsetting, works here.
I don't see how hildon-desktop can be involved in your problem, but you never know...

Simple things to check:
Code:
ls -l /home/user/.osso/call-ui.ini
ls -ld /home/user/.osso
should give something like
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users ..../call-ui.ini
drwxr-xr-x 6 user users .....osso

You can also try (NOT as root)
Code:
echo '[rotation]
orientation=0' > /home/user/.osso/call-ui.ini
killall rtcom-call-ui
That should give you portrait mode.

Last edited by tomast; 2010-09-04 at 05:52. Reason: typo

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Portrait mode is working for me.

can we get more than 4 homescreens with just this? or do we need Matan's modified-hildon-desktop for that?

can we run both? im very confused.