Notices

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ South Africa
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
I can't believe the number of posts where people have problem installing dictionaries for qstardict/mstardict. Anyway Evok maybe you can post a link to the dictionary(s) you're trying to use and I will try them.
kureyon - This is a link to one of the small English New Words Dic I have been trying: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/xdx...-2.4.2.tar.bz2
It seems to me that maybe there is a problem with the file system in N900?

I have a 'Data' folder which does show in PC Suite but does not show up in the N900 File Manager. When I open (also N900) CuteExplorer I can see /home/userMyDocs which seems to be the Data folder now called MyDocs? This also means that in QStarDict you cannot choose a MyDocs folder as it lists a Documents folder........ Confused? I am.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Evok View Post

I have a 'Data' folder which does show in PC Suite but does not show up in the N900 File Manager. When I open (also N900) CuteExplorer I can see /home/userMyDocs which seems to be the Data folder now called MyDocs? This also means that in QStarDict you cannot choose a MyDocs folder as it lists a Documents folder........ Confused? I am.
Yes, this is a deliberate feature that people on this site actually defend as being kind to newbies by protecting them from using directories where they have no business going.

So your confusion is for your own good!

The last time I questioned this I was told I shouldn't have an N900.

Once you understand that under the MyDocs folder there is a .documents folder and that is where a lot of things go by default, it gets a bit easier.

File managers like CuteExplorer at least tell you the truth and let you see most of the directories that are out there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Evok View Post
This is a link to one of the small English New Words Dic I have been trying: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/xdx...-2.4.2.tar.bz2
That is already one of the dictionaries I am using. Just to make sure, I deleted my existing files for that dictionary, downloaded again from the above link, extracted the files and copied them to my N900. And it works fine.

I have a 'Data' folder which does show in PC Suite but does not show up in the N900 File Manager.
I don't use PC Suite so don't know which N900 directory it exposes to PC Suite. But if you connect N900 as mass storage then what you see is
"/home/user/MyDocs/"

This also means that in QStarDict you cannot choose a MyDocs folder as it lists a Documents folder........ Confused? I am.
When you add a path for dictionary in qstardict and you click on "internal memory" you will start off in "/home/user/MyDocs/", you should probably then click "New" and create a directory to store your dictionaries.

Note if you plan on installing and using mstardict as well then you should put your dictionaries in "/home/user/MyDocs/mstardict". This way both qstardict and mstardict can share the same dictionaries since mstardict expects its dictionaries in that location and cannot be changed.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
hi..
did exactly what you mentioned.
but at the step when i need to click the wrench tool, nothing happens. tried it several times...
any thoughts... thanks

Originally Posted by dhanurdhar View Post
but at the step when i need to click the wrench tool, nothing happens. tried it several times...
any thoughts...
Under Settings>Plugins, you need to enable the "stardict" plugin, and you need to have that row selected then click the wrench.

EDIT: added screenshot

Last edited by kureyon; 2010-11-27 at 20:02.

kureyon thanks for getting back
the problem i face is that after clicking the wrench tool nothing happens.. followed instructions down to the wire...
any thoughts

thanks

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Nagoya, Japan
@dhanurdhar

Are you using the latest version here in testing repo? I believe this problem is fixed in this version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FBergeron For This Useful Post:
worked like a charm.. downloaded the fixed version from testing..
thanks guys

The Following User Says Thank You to dhanurdhar For This Useful Post:
I have no single idea about Linux. Yes I'm a beginner, but i can follow instructions. This is the dictionary I'm trying to install:
http://garr.dl.sourceforge.net/proje...arabic.tar.bz2

Following the instructions this is what i get:

Any help ?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Following the instructions this is what i get: ...
Your file name is: comn_sdict05_eng_arabic.tar.bz2
command to extract it would be:
Code:
tar jxf comn_sdict05_eng_arabic.tar.bz2
Note the use of "j" as opposed to "z" because that file is using bzip2 compression and not gzip

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:

Tags
help wanted, qtstardict