Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
what I know is Android has many devices and manufacturers so much more consumers would likely to see an Android device first than a Maemo Device.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Heh.. actually, my Androids have easily gotten me plenty of free. On that level, I HAVE gotten free drinks because I showed people neat stuff on my Droid. On another level, I got a FREE excellent mapping program, FREE email hosting service that doesn't suck, etc. On yet another level, I've gotten PAID for doing work with my Droid (not yet with my Tab.. but we'll see). Tell me if your N900 got you all of that?
I don't know Dan, maybe we could start a new thread asking users what 'privileges' their N900 got them, and see what creative uses out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by devu View Post
My personal opinion as the answer:
whisper marketing
IMO, what you call 'whisper marketing' (or word of mouth) is really what stands behind a product: substance.

No one is going to do this whisper/word-of-mouth marketing for the companies for free, if there's nothing in it for them. But, if the product can make them happy, then they will definitely share this fact for free to their families/friends.

Now, what makes people happy? What is the substance that propel these products?

iOS = Great UI/UX. Great content. Style & polish. Great brand name.
: These things are quite universal and they work on a significant portion of the potential consumer base.

Android = Great UI/UX. Good content. More open and capable than iOS. Great brand name.
: Again, these are universal traits, acceptable by just about everyone allover the world. One can also argue that they ride on the coat tails of iOS.

maemo = FOSS, very open and robust, good content for the *nix crowd (but not so much for the general audience), good UI/UX for the most part (but you may have to tinker with things under the hood for some of the tweaks), great form factor (again, for the techy, maybe, but not so great for the masses).
: There are some good potentials, BUT there are too many 'buts'...

IMHO.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-12-16 at 03:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
you'd be saying that YouTube isn't a webpage either because it has embedded media that's normally played only via a browser plugin.
Read the post again. I think it was commenting on a webpage that contains a flash blob but is otherwise empty. IOW if you viewed that page on a browser without flash then you would see a blank page. Youtube in contrast consists of more than just flash blobs and actually has some viewable html content.

Flash is more than just ads...
Fine. But when companies use flash exclusively to do things that can very well be done using html/javascript then they can go stuff themselves. I remember at one point for some downloads nokia used a flash blob - that is the kind of ignorant and arrogant behaviour that I detest.

I just go with the whole "Can I get to it via http://somedamnaddress.com?" and if it's yes, then the content is all the web page to me.
Next you'll be arguing that a "webpage" with just activex controls on it is still a webpage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Where I'm writing from, the N900 was sold only at Nokia stores. You could not purchase, or see, or hear Nokia N900 at any mobilephone resellers/distributors. I spoke to one shop owner recently, and he said Nokia didn't market the N900 outside their own stores. So it was obvious from this point that the N900 was not meant for mass market as opposed to Androids - where you could get them from Motorola, LG, HTC, etc...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
You actually pulled out RealPlayer? Props for the nerve to do that.
It wasn't hard. Flash is the new RealPlayer, really--pretty much for almost all the same reasons, too. Also--YouTube isn't entirely composed of Flash. :P YouTube is a web page that contains purposeful instance of Flash media. When you full-screen the video in the Flash media player, is THAT also a web page? I didn't think so.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Next you'll be arguing that a "webpage" with just activex controls on it is still a webpage.
It isn't?

I keed, I keed

The whole html page versus html page + plugin media plays too well into the whole Steve Jobs mantra against Flash. Has it been exploited? Yes. Has it been overly used in bad ways? Hell yes.

But is Flash bad? Until HTML5 can fully replace all aspects of Flash - such as the query/datagrid portions that I use in Adobe Flex - then no. Not yet.

And to be honest, I'm weary of HTML5 + jQuery (or javaScript) examples that show off more of what good javaScript can do with the canvas tags on a supported browser (read: not all of them) as opposed to true HTML5 examples - but even that is becoming less and less of an issue.

Heck, HTML5 + video is starting to resolve 98% of my clients needs. And to be honest, that's a good thing.

But the whole "Flash is for ads"... I'm not from that school of thought. I just interfaced a .NET based CMS with an AS3/Flex front end with true deep-linking. Not one ad present.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It wasn't hard. Flash is the new RealPlayer, really--pretty much for almost all the same reasons, too. Also--YouTube isn't entirely composed of Flash. :P YouTube is a web page that contains purposeful instance of Flash media. When you full-screen the video in the Flash media player, is THAT also a web page? I didn't think so.
But to go fullscreen on a flash video, it still has to be embedded in a page (typically). True, you can go to http://sitename.com/video.swf - but that's quite rare and isn't best practices.

I get what you're saying, actually agree more than disagree. But as it stands, I was merely playing devil's advocate since when it really boils down to it, the way I use Flash/Flex, it's as part of the site... not as an ad, it has to be embedded, and when it's all said and done... I treat the dynamics of that project as a per page project. Especially when I have to deeplink into the darn thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
The whole html page versus html page + plugin media plays too well into the whole Steve Jobs mantra against Flash.
Only reason Jobs doesn't like Flash is because he doesn't control it. If it was made by Apple he would be forcing all his fanbois to eat it.

But the whole "Flash is for ads"... I'm not from that school of thought.
Personally I don't "care" about ads because I use adblock plus. It is the frivolous use of Flash in place of html that I am against. And the numerous security problems with Flash doesn't help either.

But to go fullscreen on a flash video, it still has to be embedded in a page (typically).
If I can't view it in lynx then it's not a webpage. Simple

Last edited by kureyon; 2010-12-17 at 11:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

Tags
beware!, it's a trap, maemo in denial