Active Topics

I would, considering the tilted/rounded edges I think it's justified.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Well actually not.
Market share doesn't actually reflect sales - which have grown.

The US market is mainly Nokia-unaware and the top selling phone before the iPhone was/were the Motorola bla bla ZR.

iPhone has gained market share due to users migrating from a phone to another phone (not a smartphone) since the first iPhone can't even be called a mediocre feature phone. To those users the complexity of menus submenus, widgets, setups camera focus, etc(Symbian) would have been incomprehensible - instead, apple has gained market share by presenting basic features as "innovations" and introducing them to the basic user one step at a time.

Then there's android - and since it's not "cool" to not have an OS on any phone every low end piece of junk now has android - and android has the proper advertising which nokia doesn't.

Nokia - king of the world until 2008. Why only until 2008? Easy, they stopped producing high end devices after N82 and N95 (2007), don't ask me why but they even claimed there's no need for HWA in a phone
Symbian UIQ aka. Sony's touch symbian version went down (exactly because of low-spec devices IMHO but then there was the lack of standards such as USB and micro SD which already brings the iPhone down) and Nokia "smartly" decided it wasn't yet time for touch screen devices as the industry wasn't ready yet.
Nokia was right - since the first two iPhones were a complete mess - but that doesn't mean the users didn't want to go "touch" (I did)
So instead of making a bold move they decided to wait, exactly at the time when everyone else decided they belong to the mobile space as well.

Mistakes or not, things are slowly heading back where they used to be.
IMHO old dinosaurs (Nokia & Apple CEOs) have had quite a hard time adapting - at least Nokia has finally managed to do so.
Sure, their nominal revenue has grown, but when your company is still losing marketshare while doing that then it means you're not growing as fast as your sector is. That means you're still behind.

<snip>latter parts...</snip>
I think you've given good examples on why they've slipped behind.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Sure, their nominal revenue has grown, but when your company is still losing marketshare while doing that then it means you're not growing as fast as your sector is. That means you're still behind.

<snip>latter parts...</snip>
I think you've given good examples on why they've slipped behind.
Yup but if you add sales numbers no two or three smartphone makers can rival nokia altogether. If you add phones to that too, then it's nokia and some other companies with puny sales.

Then there's the constantly expanding universe, but that doesn't mean that the Milky Way is getting smaller - hence Nokia's position allows them to continuously evolve since the cash flow is in no way decreasing.

As for slipping, N97 played a major role - it was expected to be a powerhouse and instead it was just another smartphone with a fancy design. Also nokia never used to release a "flagship" a year - competition does them good, N97 should have been like N8 IMHO.
But nokia never claimed it as the next big thing in smartphones, it was rumours and impatient users that made it seem so and their dissapointment can only be blamed on their own speculations.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yup but if you add sales numbers no two or three smartphone makers can rival nokia altogether. If you add phones to that too, then it's nokia and some other companies with puny sales.

Then there's the constantly expanding universe, but that doesn't mean that the Milky Way is getting smaller - hence Nokia's position allows them to continuously evolve since the cash flow is in no way decreasing.

As for slipping, N97 played a major role - it was expected to be a powerhouse and instead it was just another smartphone with a fancy design. Also nokia never used to release a "flagship" a year - competition does them good, N97 should have been like N8 IMHO.
But nokia never claimed it as the next big thing in smartphones, it was rumours and impatient users that made it seem so and their dissapointment can only be blamed on their own speculations.
Bad analogies don't address the real issue.

IMHO that's apologist talk. Rumors and users expectation have to be managed or even exploited for their common benefit.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Bad analogies don't address the real issue.

IMHO that's apologist talk. Rumors and users expectation have to be managed or even exploited for their common benefit.
Large companies happen to reach a status-quo regarding financial income and market share. When they're doing so well advertising and impassivity is forgotten.

I mean, look at microsoft, they couldn't give a lesser c**p. Don't remember ever seeing windows 7 ads or advertising and the OS sells by itself, despite the fact that vista = fail.

IMHO when you had an excellent day and closed 10 excellent deals, you can relax and leave an hour earlier

Analogies and the smartphone market just don't work hand in hand.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Venezuela
oh come shut up already, if you don't like nokia just don't buy it, stop trying to convince everyone else that you're right, it's all about taste, i freaking love my N900 even tho i'm no linux pro, and i don't get the best out of it because of that, i just love it's desing, and what it has to offer.... as for you said that nokia was on the top around the N95 era, i disagree... as much as the N95 had the best camera, the iphone was released around the same time, and it revolutioned the whole concept with the touch screen and the app store and all that crap.... it's all about taste, i bet someone would like the 12mp camera on the N8, as it records in HD, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVvH91_4Zsw and very nicely if you ask me, but i personally don't like it, as i need a qwerty keyboard since my E61i, but SHUT UP already, i'm sick of this, N900 is sux, they abandoned us, nokia sux, i want my money back and stuff, it's your mobil, YOUR choice.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nobody is trying to convince others that they are right pertaining how Nokia might be failing; the facts support that in certain sectors that might affect recent purchases and starts to explain why prior tablets were so quickly forgotten.

Some people are looking for reasons to purchase the N900 or the MeeGo device and they're not finding too many reasons that things will "stay the course". If a new CEO comes in, things will change. If the current CEO has to appease the shareholders, then the customer will just be a vehicle for them to line their pockets - and you will be further overlooked.

It's not a stretch to think like that; just like it's not a stretch for people to look at the global picture and see improvement and/or stability. Two markets are being ignored... Japan and USA. We know why Japan; most don't know why the USA. OPK stated that he'd raise brand awareness and share in the USA... didn't happen.

To have your market share drop some 65% while long-reaching plans are in place and a bunch of people aren't sure what they are because the lack of external communication... that's a problem. The shareholders are jumpy and that's usual. To have your stock go from ~$40 to ~$12, that's a problem. Knowing that you might buy a product and get even less support if your micro-USB port falls out, or you want bug fixes or you want to stay updated on the bits that the community can't update due to that part being a closed part on an open platform... that's a problem.

And this isn't about how the N900 sucks, or even how the N8 might suck. I personally don't think so. And yeah, I still stick by my assertion that it's a phone that the design I don't like. The phone has optics that will beat most of what's out there now. That's a plus...

It's all about getting the most features in a phone that will be sitting around and getting used by you for the next 2+ years. And if that means once you get the phone and won't get any updates - man times have changed, I remember getting no updates on a phone was the norm! - then people will look and talk about what the company is doing business-wise.

And if it's looking bad... people will doubt the future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
This thread should be moved to "Random Professional Business Analysts" section and not the off-topic section...

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
If Nokia's smartphones are half-baked I don't know what phones aren't.
If I were to judge things like this I'd stick with fixed telephony and TV instead of a pc/internet.

But then again I have enjoyed XP and ubuntu for years and if I am to look back both of them were unbaked piece of craps compared to what they are today. We don't live back in Y2K when having a bug on a device meant it was ruined and the whole stock had to be recalled at the factory and reflashed.

So please tell me what company doesn't release "unbaked" devices so I might sell my house and car and buy as muck as I can of their stock.

I mean it, please tell me what company doesn't release "unbaked" devices?
I suggest you go try a couple of the new android devices - namely the GN1 / HTC Desire. Compared to my n900 experience from day 1 in November, its in another category. The n900 has improved substantially but basic features are still pretty crap. As stated before, very basic features such as phone, music, no sat nav,,,,,

I hope Nokia do a lot to improve its quality control before releasing phones. I will be sure to pick up market share if it does manage to evolve from where it is now.

Last edited by bonerp; 2010-05-02 at 16:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
You should consider that the N900 is a first of it's kind though and maybe compare it with one of the first androids.

Even so the Nexus one was a complete mess and I won't bother giving you the links to prove that google/htc still have a lot to learn about customer support and the fact that google isn't tailoring the devices themselves is androids greatest weakspot.

I know HTC from winmo times so phones built by them don't really inspire me, as for android... you do know it lacks basic features as auto updating the apps?

But I do agree that N900 wasn't built at all around the phone or music experience and there's a lot to improve. As for sat nav sygic does a fine job IMHO

Tags
bad mojo, h3ll100ser, ignorant thread, raised nothing, sigh, worst thread