Active Topics

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
M$ is big...The work doesn't get affected easily and from latest rumours they are working overtime on WP but the NT kernel is proving a pain in the a** hence the lack of a SDK till date for WP8... A beta SDK will be released 1-2 weeks before launch whereas for Mango and WP7 proper the full SDK was released a few months before launch...
Oh Yeah i was also wondering why the hell wouldn't you release the SDK before releasing the Phone OS. WP8 won;t really have any native apps on the release, all the apps will be from the WP7/7.5

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Oh Yeah i was also wondering why the hell wouldn't you release the SDK before releasing the Phone OS. WP8 won;t really have any native apps on the release, all the apps will be from the WP7/7.5
Yes all apps will be from WP7+ and maybe few special launch apps will be available from partners like CNN, Redbull etc...

Now the interesting aspect will be how would those 800x480 apps upscale to fit the 1280x768 screen of Lumia 920...

The SDK beta will also be tightly-controlled to only partners so that bugs and "features" are not leaked...Now think about it if you have special features wouldn't you drop feed them via leaks?

Isn't that what happens all the time? After all iOS and Android have shown their hands already...

No matter how much I hate Elop; I still would want Nokia to succeed in some form and this doesnt do their chances any good...If you look closely at the Lumia 920s shown off at the press event you can clearly see the lags which would be unthinkable on much slower hardware running WP7.5...

So quite difficult for Nokia at this moment...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
best design eh..

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
The meme comic... I dont get it?
Do I need to be high to understand it?

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Jolla ain't gonna be that open either. Especially if they're having to license the bits we know about.

And the N900 wasn't fully open either. That trend of exaggerating that needs to end now.
Can you name a device that is more open than the N900?
I am really asking , without any dose of irony.

Could you mean the N800/N810? (not gsm devices though).
Could you mean... some droids , let's say Galaxy S 2? (I doubt it)
The HP Pre 3 then?

please tell us man!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
profit & survival = margin (on each sold unit) X SALES

no sales <=> no survival

period

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
God! The first thing I would want them to learn from Apple is the over-exaggerating marketing hype that Apple generates...It can only be good for Nokia to follow such...

Moving towards closed source to make money?...Why can't we look at things objectively; WP was their choice from WP & Android...Plain Simple...They didn't want to engage into wars with other OEMs in using Android [Samsung would have had them for breakfast]...

We never know if Nokia will exist to even see out the WP-contract...Maybe then there is a change of mindset or they are self-sufficient to make their own software again...

Don't take things so personally...Its just a corporation trying to maximise its profits+chances of survival for better returns for its shareholders and they would use whatever it takes to achieve it [open, closed, s*** etc.]...
Neither Nokia nor Microsoft has the Marketing instinct like apple does to promote their product that good. My comment was totally based upon my newly purchased Lumia 900.

Just like Apple uses iTunes, this Lumia 900 uses zunes to synchornize everything.

Just like Apple it has closed the option of sharing music using bluetooth.

Their charger and doc connector is similar to that of iPhone / iPad where it has white USB charger with a connector to main power.

So looks like Nokia is blindly apeying Apple and they think they will be successful by doing that

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
i guess L920 is bloody cool ,i am gonna test it i assume .any positive ideas ?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Can you name a device that is more open than the N900?
Openmoko Free Runner/Neo Free Runner were more open than the N900 around a lot of the systems where the N900 still remains closed. Does it make it a better system, questionable. But the whole issue I have is that people say it's the "most open" when that means the important bits that won't get updated, years after the fact - it's worse for the N800/N810 imho - will never be opened due to many quoted reasons from being too proprietary of code to allegedly being that bad of code.

I am really asking , without any dose of irony.
No sarcasm or irony detected.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I finally took a decision: Lumia 920 will be mine!

Tags
ip5 better, lumia 920, sml ecsytm, windows phone 8