Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
there is a place for modem in pcb, maybe you can solder it here?
Really? If it already does have both board space and traces for a 3G/LTE modem I absolutely would want it populated!
How much more would it cost?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Who would call with an 8 inch tablet, though? I feel like reality resembles Trigger Happy more every day.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Who would call with an 8 inch tablet, though?
Well, my headset does not mind where it is connected too

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Who would call with an 8 inch tablet, though? I feel like reality resembles Trigger Happy more every day.
it's not about calls for me. I really hate when I have to tether to a phone. To me , tablet without cellular connectivity is crap for outdoor usage.
Oh, and I see no point in 4:3 screens when absoulutely everything else is 16:9 or something similar.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Really? If it already does have both board space and traces for a 3G/LTE modem I absolutely would want it populated!
How much more would it cost?
It would probably cost them the ability to easily export to as many markets as possible.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
... and as I understand this only works without any modification of the board. A radio module is a modification without any support by the OS. If it does not work (e. g. high frequency influences to other components) you will go into the same desaster as Jolla did. Every modification makes the device more expensive, it will last more time for shipping and will frustrate more people.

@kinggo: Books are not 16:9

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
... and as I understand this only works without any modification of the board. A radio module is a modification without any support by the OS. If it does not work (e. g. high frequency influences to other components) you will go into the same desaster as Jolla did. Every modification makes the device more expensive, it will last more time for shipping and will frustrate more people.
I fully agree with this - while it would be nice to have connectivity on the go, I think actually having a device available at reasonable cost and in reasonable timeframe has absolute priority.

And if it turns out adding a modem is not impossible, it can see it being done as a second production run or something similar.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Oh, and I see no point in 4:3 screens when absoulutely everything else is 16:9 or something similar.
On many of these sites there's a category called "vintage". It usually conains 4:3 content.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
On many of these sites there's a category called "vintage". It usually conains 4:3 content.
true, but for that 320x240 is usually enough

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post

@kinggo: Books are not 16:9
always the same lame excuse...... Tablet is quite bad for ebooks anyway regardelss of screen ratio.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os